Reversound

Post your system set-up here.

Moderator: JackD201

Re: Tri-End

Postby Audiogeek » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:54 am

JoeyGS wrote:If you have tried and liked TVC, you will even more like the lightspeed attenuator ;)

hi joey. thanks for the interesting information. dont have any idea on this lightspeed attenuator
but it looks interesting and worth considering. im not techie guy and this is my first audicious
adventure :D towards a single stage attenuation, so i nitially borrowed the trodt 24-step tvc from
my brother and the sound really did not frustrate my ear nor cause any listening fatigue. looks like
it will stay with me for an undertermined time. :) i'd like to give it a try and listen if you have one
of this lightspeed. reading from some forums based on your post, it received high reviews and
responses from audionuts like us. :) enjoy.
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Tjaderman » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:43 pm

Audiogeek wrote:
JoeyGS wrote:If you have tried and liked TVC, you will even more like the lightspeed attenuator ;)

hi joey. thanks for the interesting information. dont have any idea on this lightspeed attenuator
but it looks interesting and worth considering. im not techie guy and this is my first audicious
adventure :D towards a single stage attenuation, so i nitially borrowed the trodt 24-step tvc from
my brother and the sound really did not frustrate my ear nor cause any listening fatigue. looks like
it will stay with me for an undertermined time. :) i'd like to give it a try and listen if you have one
of this lightspeed. reading from some forums based on your post, it received high reviews and

Give JoeyGS a visit if you want to hear the lightspeed attenuator! :) :)
Tjaderman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby endrik35 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:49 pm

Prometheus tvc versus lightspeed? any comments? Cal, nasan na lightspeed na iauaudi ko? :)
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Tjaderman » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:53 pm

endrik35 wrote: Cal, nasan na lightspeed na iauaudi ko? :)

Text text tayo, Doc! :) :) :)
Tjaderman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JoeyGS » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:34 am

Hi Audiogeek,

You are welcome to have a listen to the lightspeed attenuator. You may also bring you TVC for comparison. I do also have an ASL trasformer based passive preamp which can be listened at (BTW this is for sale at the Buy and Sell section)

Regards,
JoeyGS

Audiogeek wrote:

JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Audiogeek » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:14 am

JoeyGS wrote:Hi Audiogeek,

You are welcome to have a listen to the lightspeed attenuator. You may also bring you TVC for comparison. I do also have an ASL trasformer based passive preamp which can be listened at (BTW this is for sale at the Buy and Sell section)

Regards,
JoeyGS

hi joey. tnxalot for the invite. will certainly find time to try out your lightspeed.
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Tri-End: Back To Old School

Postby Audiogeek » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:57 am

BACK TO OLD SCHOOL

Currently, restoring my 2nd set of old phasetech drivers and xovers into a

3-Way Floorstander Speaker with a passive internal crossover dividing network.

A mock-up set up while waiting
for the mdf enclosures from Anthony.

Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Audiogeek » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:39 am

Phase enclosures were inspected and delivered. Job well done. No rough
edges. vinyl lamination is excellent and finecrafted like imported brands.
size and appearance are according to the specs of my first Phasetech set.
oh, leather finish is smooth. drilling and dimensions of speaker holes are
professionally done. im impressed with the workmanship. :clap:

while on waiting mode, the drivers and xovers were also tested. switchable xovers
availalbe are F1 and F2. in an open mock-up set, F2 sounded and blended the drivers
all together well. it's a feeling that i experienced in my old phasetech and hopefully in
the final stage.

Installation and assembly in a few days. :)
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Audiogeek » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:41 am

The assembly went well after one final mock-up audio test.

mid-hi crossover.

bass crossover.

the finished project. 3-Way Speaker

Parts:
Bass = Phasetech 10" (Rated at 30hz)
Midrange = Phasetech 5"
Tweeter = Vifa 1" (Phasetech softdome patented)
Passive Internal Crossover Dividing Network = Bass (Phasetech), Mid-Hi (KEF)
MDF Enclosures = A.Audio (patterned after the Phasetech PC8.5)
Size and Make = 3-way Floorstander 14" x 13" x 37"
Freq. Res = ? :o
Sensitivity = ? db :)
Power Hanlding = ? watts rms :?:
Weight = "hindi ko mabuhat ang isa" :(

Enclosure System = Non-ported, sealed box. 8)

Audio sound = will audition and listen to it over the weekend. ;)
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Audiogeek » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:49 am

just like to share my initial impression with you guys. i honestly dint know what i
was doing with this Phase project, assembling the drivers and crossovers which
i've kept for so long into a full floorstander without any idea how it's gonna end
up. after listening to 2-3 songs, medyo kinabahan ako kc di ko alam kung anong
klaseng music i heard. i was really stunned and still is. im now searching for some
web explanation and got a very revealing information. it is not a new technology.
but i need this whole weekend to really dip myself into this phase project and see
what it really means since i only have one reference the Phase Tech PC8.5 in the
province and which still carry the first softdome tweeter invented. one thing sure
though, i recall they sounded similarly.

when i worked with an audio company in 1984 (then headed by Pete S.), there were
three audio languages i usually heard in conversation and still remember up to now:

1. 3-way speaker,
2. internal crossover dividing network, and
3. "vacuum" speaker (a term i heard from a certain client friend, Irwin, and actually
saw his so called vacuum speaker. i had no idea what the brand was at that time.)

for now, i decided not to return or pursue the analog side. it's no longer my kind of
music.
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Audiogeek » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:11 am

Amazing discovery.

i have no idea at all what my phase tech pc8.5 really features other than it has the first softdome tweeter. Now i know, its enclosure design was actually based on a historical invention in audio technology in the 1950s. All the while i thought that there was really a vacuum speaker. Sounds funny but irwin had far more advanced comprehension and appreciation of what hi-end music then, than me. :)

He actually had an Acoustic Research set of speakers. he referred to it as a sealed box. 8) Googled the AR and lo and behold, sealed box is an acoustic air suspension system for a speaker application. Acoustic Suspension was invented by Acoustic Research, USA, in the 1950s.

The AR3A

Quotes:
- AR-3 (and before it, the AR-1) has been regarded as the granddaddy of acoustic or air suspension speaker system. Source: AR3A
- AR-3 was placed on permanent display in the Information Age Exhibit of The National Museum of American History at The Smithsonian Institution in Washington, DC. Source: AR3a Museum

Many reputable audio companies applied the same technology in their hi-end speakers. KEF, Rogers, and Spendor called or termed it either as infinite, sealed or closed baffles. In large format, B&W, MK, Celestion, AR, Dalquist, Phasetech, McIntosh, Mastercraft, Hales Audio, Monitor Audio, Infinity Kappa, etc. also followed the technology. They were also expensive.

Sealed Box Speakers: :)

KEF Reference Series 101 BBC LS3/5A

Rogers, Spendor

But acoustic suspension is rarely manufactured or used in new and current models after AR was bought out by another company. Dont know who acquired the license on the technology.

My restored 1st Phase Tech PC 8.5 (Sealed Box with 3 Drivers) ;)

My newly restored 2nd set, baptized as MacPhase LS8.5 (Sealed Box with 4 Drivers) :)
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Audiogeek » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:31 pm

just found a pair of acoustic suspension AR3a for 3k pesos and
in working condition. hopefully have it restored to the likeness of this: :)

Audiogeek wrote:The AR3A
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Audiogeek » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:00 pm

been enjoying restoring an old acoustic research AR2ax (almost similar to ar3a). :)

fascinating to learn about one historical vintage speaker. :)

cleaning the pot. . .

Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Reversound

Postby Audiogeek » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:54 am

I'd like to share this upcoming local preamp. actually personal project muna and no plans to be commercialized. Time to step up and advance our talented pinoy diyers to be competitive.

This diy preamp has been in the drawing board for almost six (6) months. Matagal ang implementation kasi i wanted it to be new, unique and really looks professional, with strict prescription on quality, aside from sourcing of imported parts. I'd tried several options and discussions to tandem with Rod's internal circuit for his battery powered tube. He actually delivered few units of basic battery powered preamp to some of his friends like that of Mamimili. But not enough for me. Since i dint have any passive preamp yet, i thought of doing a new concept and design - a diy project of a dual audio preamplifier. And usually i am not at ease without giving it a name. so, i called it "reversound". it's a dual audio preamplifer, not dual mono preamp.

Reversound is short for “revere” and “sound”. From Wikipedia, ‘revere’ may refer to music. From Dictionary.com, ‘revere’ means to regard with respect tinged with awe; or, venerate.

It is switchable from passive preamp to battery-powered tube preamp, or vice versa, in one box with one volume control.

This is sort of like almost 10 Years anniversary issue of audio with WS. With the parts all in and complete, the reversound is now on the assembly line.

For a preview, here are the pix:

Product View (Mock-Up of actual chassis and faceplate, but finished product will look like this):

Front View (Faceplate):

Rear View:

Other parts:

Thanks for viewing. More power to WS pinoy diyers.
Last edited by Audiogeek on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Reversound

Postby Audiogeek » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:26 pm

just got a text from Rod that the first reversound was completed.

at first, I was sort of feeling in disbelief upon seeing myself an initial
preview of how the pinoy made preamp would look like, and how it
would perform. im even more thrilled and excited now after receiving
the news. :)

maraming salamat Rod. ;)
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby boombastig » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:16 pm

Wow! This is a start of something great. Would be nice to hear and see this "giant Killer" of a preamp.
boombastig
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Audiogeek » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:22 am

salamat jim. been a while we havent had any audio session. sobra ka seguro
busy with the bank. yup it's really something new. this weekend ko pa puntahan
si Rod to see the final product. at least for the holy week vacation, the season
will be flavoured and full of really nice music. i just talked to Rod over the
phone and he seemed to be smiling. hopefully i'll be able to share some pix.
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby boombastig » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:24 am

That's good to hear. Seems like the maestro is again excited about something! Hmmmmnnnn. . . how I wish I could also own a Reversound! Since malayo pa Xmas, mag good boy kaya ako ng ilang buwan baka bigyan ako ni Santa or by some stroke of luck, I can coax you and MR to allow me the privelege to have one made. Wish ko lang!. . . Hehehe.
boombastig
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Audiogeek » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:38 pm

how can i refuse pards. :)

rod just said he gave 5-stars seal of approval for the reversound. ;)

boombastig wrote:That's good to hear. Seems like the maestro is again excited about something! Hmmmmnnnn. . . how I wish I could also own a Reversound! Since malayo pa Xmas, mag good boy kaya ako ng ilang buwan baka bigyan ako ni Santa or by some stroke of luck, I can coax you and MR to allow me the privelege to have one made. Wish ko lang!. . . Hehehe.
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Alteraudio » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:37 am

is this available
Alteraudio

PreviousNext

Return to Members' Audio Set-up