35K DIY Challenge

Moderators: vintage_dog, JackD201

Re: a challenge to local DIYers!

Postby Gino » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:19 pm

I hope this will become a build-off not collating what you have at home and submitting it. Plans , parts. and progress pics will be exciting. Anticipation is the show. I am looking forward to this.
Gino
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ambel » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:08 pm

I hope this will become a build-off not collating what you have at home and submitting it

what is wrong with that? So as per your requirement i need to build a new one ground up and submit your plans to you?
ambel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Gino » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:18 pm

It is my hope and expectation. It is not my requirement. This is VD's challenge.
Gino
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ambel » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:03 pm

Then you should have your own Challenge. I was invited by VD I did not volunteer to join in.
I could not say no to VD and luckily I was ahead of the pack. Because I have built an amp
In which my main concern is the cost. I want to try locally wind output transformer because
It bring the cost down. Edrel is ahead on this department he winds world class power transformer.
Better than Hammond but I have not tried his OPT. Why don't you join in the more the merrier.
ambel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby brubeck » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:12 pm

I hope the winning design can be mass produced as I'm sure at 35K, this will get a lot of attention from those itching to try out tubes and horns... SET amp pa at that!

How about a head count on possible buyers of the winning amp and speaker combo?
brubeck
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Gino » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:35 pm

That is good to know ambel. I'll like to see and hear your entry some day. I too am interested in a budget system. I am really excited with this challenge.
Gino
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby trod93 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:52 pm

Rene, thanks for the compliment.

I have a few questions lang re speakers.

1. Are we to observe the 10k budget strictly? Or, it's ok to overshoot the 10k budget for speakers as long as the amp-speaker combo is within the 35k budget?

2. Say, I have a pair of vintage drivers bought a long time ago, how do you price them? Acquisition price or current price? Mas mura noon eh, hehe.

3. Any limit on size? Kasi kung open baffles, some measure as much as 4ft x 6ft. Baka di gusto ni VD ganito kalaki :) Talo na kagad :rofl:

4. Pwede ba more than 1 entry?

Maraming salamat po.
trod93
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tony » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:22 pm

tukayo, it is time we get your EL34 going.....i am thinking PP triode without global negative feedback....
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby camotecue » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:34 pm

tony wrote:tukayo, it is time we get your EL34 going.....i am thinking PP triode without global negative feedback....

tony,

is the el34 PP triode(d) amp intended for the challenge or for tony rodriguez? i asked because francis specified in page1 of this thread that the amp has to be Single Ended.
camotecue
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tony » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:40 pm

camotecue wrote:
tony wrote:tukayo, it is time we get your EL34 going.....i am thinking PP triode without global negative feedback....

tony,

is the el34 PP triode(d) amp intended for the challenge or for tony rodriguez? i asked because francis specified in page1 of this thread that the amp has to be Single Ended.

oops....in that case, set it is....
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:55 pm

trod93 wrote:Rene, thanks for the compliment.

I have a few questions lang re speakers.

1. Are we to observe the 10k budget strictly? Or, it's ok to overshoot the 10k budget for speakers as long as the amp-speaker combo is within the 35k budget?

2. Say, I have a pair of vintage drivers bought a long time ago, how do you price them? Acquisition price or current price? Mas mura noon eh, hehe.

3. Any limit on size? Kasi kung open baffles, some measure as much as 4ft x 6ft. Baka di gusto ni VD ganito kalaki :) Talo na kagad :rofl:

4. Pwede ba more than 1 entry?

Maraming salamat po.

35k is limit for both amp and speakers. it is up to the designer to make a system out of that. cost is based on current prices.

only one entry per team or individual. but no one can stop you from partnering with another designer for another system.

lastly, it's the sound we are after, not the size ;)

thanks
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:59 pm

ambel wrote:I was invited by VD I did not volunteer to join in.
I could not say no to VD ...

yes, i invited the folks i know...glad and thankful folks are very supportive..just like you :)
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:12 pm

Additional information for all participants:

1. We will supply a test CD with compilation of music to be used for the judging - jazz (1), classical(1), mambo(1), rock(1), vocals(2), contemporary(1), disco(1).

2. Common source for all. most likely an iPod for ease of use and consistency. Have considered analog but will have a few issues on compatibility and complexity of set-up. Am sure what sounds good using digital will sound even better on analog :)

3. You will have to supply your speaker cable.

4. Bill of materials based on current replacement/market costs must be indicated.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Jon Agner » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:24 pm

camotecue wrote:
ambel wrote:The box is transmission line. I think Lin Gomez have some Beyma 6" full range drivers that's within target
Range.

Actually Lin and I had a discussion about this if its feasible and considered the beyma drivers. I remember Jon Agner bought a pair of beymas some years ago, just can't remember if its 6" or 8".

Larry,

I'm using the 8" full range beymas on my tqwt :) nahirapang magpasok ulit si lin ng beyma due to the volume reqt kaya I'm planning to check alternatives. Will pay a visit to lin soon :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby edrel sison » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:54 pm

kabubi wrote:will Edrel team up with his cousin Ruel Felix??? abangan!

malupit na team-up ito kung matutuloy :!:

hi kabubi,

ruel is a kumpare and unfortunately not a cousin. besides we are located far apart to team up. it will be a friend here in cavite who will help me out. i will be joining for the fun and the camaraderie this exercise will bring. i am excited..
edrel sison
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tony » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:45 pm

Hi Edrel, this will be a friendly competition, not so much to win but to be able to participate in a "fun" project.......i have dreams about this and it seems it is going to to come true....see you on friday..... 8)

maybe the Malabon boys would like to join if VD agrees to it.....
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:33 pm

tony wrote:Hi Edrel, this will be a friendly competition, not so much to win but to be able to participate in a "fun" project.......i have dreams about this and it seems it is going to to come true....see you on friday..... 8)

maybe the Malabon boys would like to join if VD agrees to it.....

you are right tony, this is for fun and love for the hobby. of course, they are most welcome.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ttommy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:12 am

This is really turning out to be an exciting event! Sir VD, if I might also suggest, having an auction afterwards for the other participants whose entries you didn't choose?
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:32 am

ttommy wrote:This is really turning out to be an exciting event! Sir VD, if I might also suggest, having an auction afterwards for the other participants whose entries you didn't choose?

great idea. btw, it's not me who will "choose" the "winner", it will be a panel of judges (tbd).
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby arnoldc » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:44 am

Tubong Bastos 2012 Edition coming soon...

]:)
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to 35K DIY Challenge