SET amps and OPT's

For the serious and not so serious in audio: DoItYourself and Tubes (SET, PP, Vintage).

Moderator: kabubi

SET amps and OPT's

Postby Oldfogey » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:16 am

Inquiring mind wants to know. How much, if any, difference can be attributed to output transformers in a SET amp?

All else being equal, Tango, Tamura, Hashimoto OPT's sound different? If so, why?

Cheers
Oldfogey

Re: SET amps and OPT's

Postby brady » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:11 am

30% would be fair, I tihink.

Circuit (design and implementation), OPT (and all other parts), tube/s complement. In that order. IMHO
brady
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tony » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:42 pm

class A amps are already good to begin with....everything else is a bonus.....
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby detubo » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:47 pm

likot mo men!
detubo
Master
Master

Postby Oldfogey » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:03 pm

Just curious, not making any changes at all to my system. ;)
Oldfogey

Postby setup1 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:12 pm

When I built the prototype Simple 45/2A3, I used a pair of chunky PP opts hacked from a Harman Kardon A500 integrated, brought it to the shop (Angela Instruments). Steve hooked it up to his Pro-Ac Response 2s for background music while we worked. At the end of the day, he asked me to write about it for his old website. Since then I've used numerous SE OPTs on this circuit from cheap Hammond to Magnequest, Tango and Tamura. Tonyboy's sample is fitted with Hashimoto. Yes there is a difference in sound but the basic character of the circuit remains.

Through the years this has become my order of priority in building amps (that sound good to my ears):
1. Input/driver tube(s) has to compliment the basic sonic character of the output. I only use Art Deco period octals or 5-pin, big plates = warm midrange!
2. Fine tune the operating points (mainly by ear but I do use a scope to make sure all basic audio engineering parameters are fulfilled).
3. Power supply has to be stable and ripple free - cool running power transformer (over rated in capacity), always tube rectified followed by a choke.
4. Only carbon resistors and paper in oil caps in the signal path.

Tantalum resistors and silver foil caps in the signal path, Black Gates and/or Cerafines as cathode bypass and in the power supply can sound good but can also be over done, not unlike over cooking a fine steak!

From my late 90s Homebrewer article..."Lately though, I’m realizing that there are Tango and Tamura “signature sounds”, the Tango tending to be leaner and analytical whereas the Tamura is “juicier.” Regardless of core material, both brands produce high quality sound and I would not want to open another debate as to which is better, but my taste tends to favor the Tamura."

I remember vividly after mailing the draft (no internet then), Joe Roberts called and coaxed me to spice up the article by mentioning boutique parts quality and add something about Tamura vs. Tango to please other readers. Soon Joel, Nonong and William ditched their nickel core Nature Sound NS70SE and Tango NY15s for Tamura permalloy and amorphous...Come to think of it, do you guys regret? :lol:

IMHO, comparing Tamura, Tango or Hashimoto in a well built and good sounding circuit can be a fruitless task...best to just enjoy the music. :rock:

That said, a former student gave me a set of the latest top of the line Thomastik violin strings that cost $100. Still not sure if they sound better and easier to play than my favorite $70 Pirazzis...got to go and continue the break in session ;)
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Oldfogey » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:27 am

Hi Joseph,

Yes, curious minds can get one into trouble. I am very happy with the SE 10y amps, and will stay with them till my hearing goes! Probably better to just get more software. See you guys soon at my place.
Can't wait to hear the 76/6SN7 preamp in the system.

Cheers!
Oldfogey

Postby detubo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:32 am

we should put up a new audio clique. THE SMALL PECKER CLUB! 2 inches....ahem......i mean 2 watts or less dapat. you're president since you have the smallest. :lol:
detubo
Master
Master

Postby setup1 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:16 am

setup2 demo'ed SE71A monoblocks with Tango 10429 permalloy opts at the Nov. Hi-Fi Show a few years back...750mW yan!
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Postby detubo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:33 pm

setup1 wrote:setup2 demo'ed SE71A monoblocks with Tango 10429 permalloy opts at the Nov. Hi-Fi Show a few years back...750mW yan!

less than 1 inch!.....ahem.....i mean 1 watt! the winner: setup2! :clap:
detubo
Master
Master

Postby setup1 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:04 pm

For the record, I have to say that Detub's not so simple 45 amp is the best sound I've heard from this circuit. Prime example of boutique parts done right :rock: Yan yata hinihintay mo... :lol:
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Postby detubo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:15 pm

setup1 wrote:For the record, I have to say that Detub's not so simple 45 amp is the best sound I've heard from this circuit. Prime example of boutique parts done right :rock: Yan yata hinihintay mo... :lol:

may konting contribution din ang Harana 604G
detubo
Master
Master

Postby Oldfogey » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:03 pm

Detubo, since your amp is about perfect, you won't be needing those crappy globe 45 tubes anymore. I've sold them and donated the proceeds to charity in your name. :)

The "small pecker club"? Sounds cool. How about the Cunning Linguists Club? Wanna join? :devil:
Oldfogey

Postby rtsyrtsy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:16 pm

Oldfogey wrote:The "small pecker club"? Sounds cool. How about the Cunning Linguists Club? Wanna join? :devil:

So if one knows a few words in multiple languages (mostly curse words, reproductive organs, and various synonyms to procreation), does that make one a cunning linguist?

Gotta get my mind off that visit to that place we spoke about. Fume is available.
rtsyrtsy

Postby kabubi » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:47 pm

Oldfogey wrote:the Cunning Linguists Club

i remember meeting a member of this group and i'm trying to remember his name. it's just at the tip of my tongue...

:lol:
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Return to DIY and Tubes