Moderator: jadis

Re: Videos, Pictures, Etc.

Postby audiostar » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:34 pm

O eto pa :)

audiostar

Location: audio nirvana st., speakers corner ave. music city, mars

Re: Videos, Pictures, Etc.

Postby jadis » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:37 pm

Okay ang mga music news mo, Val. Daming guitarista naka long hair, parang gusto ko na rin ng ganon hairstyle, parang si Timothy B. Schmit ng Eagles. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

A Blast From the Past

Postby jadis » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:21 am

The Three Degrees - When Will I See You Again

This song sort of 'teleports' me back to the time I was sneaking out of the classrooms of Loyola and shopping for records in Pony Audio in Farmers Cubao. :lol: And as the song goes, that is how one feels when you get to inadvertently sell those O.W.N. lps which you now want to buy back but can't. And after that, you feel 3 degrees hotter as well. :D Well, the lead singer could have made me hot too, in those days. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Videos, pictures & other things

Postby jadis » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:08 am

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE....

FBI FILES & UFO'S

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20 ... fbis-vault

Mon Apr 11, 3:26 pm ET
UFOs in FBI’s Vault
By Mike Krumboltz

By Mike Krumboltz mike Krumboltz – Mon Apr 11, 3:26 pm ET

The truth is out there. And by "truth," we mean a controversial (and official) 1950s FBI memo that alleges aliens did in fact land in New Mexico which has just been republished on the agency's website.

More pictures here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... e-FBI.html

Man has always been intrigued by the question: "Are We Alone?" But I guess life wouldn't be the same if we have 'others' living with us. Home audio might not be the same too, it might be too 'low tech' for them. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: Videos, pictures & other things

Postby jadis » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:57 am

MELTDOWN !!!

Last week, while getting a sudden rush of adrenalin to clean the pins of the tubes inside my amps, I got the surprise of my life to see a factory supplied rubber ring damper in the process of 'melting down'. :o While it's not anywhere near Chenobyl levels, it certainly can cause quite a scare given its ghastly sight and possible 'flowdown' of the gooey substance to the tube socket. Luckily, I was able to take out the gunk by means of the trusted blade cutter, slicing it carefully as not to scrape the glass. And after the mini-surgical procedure, I was able to take out the rubber damper completely and put the tube back in working order. :sweat: :sweat:

Lesson: Do not trust 'rubber products' despite all the recent demonstrations in a village in Alabang. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postcards from Singapore

Postby jadis » Mon May 02, 2011 1:19 pm

In a recent visit to Singapore, I was able to do some window shopping, and that was all I could do. :D

The Adelphi

An unknown TT, to me: :)

I did not know Ferrari makes speakers now: :D

Unknown brand of a speaker with glass enclosure:

MBL of Germany on display, all you have to do is to buy. :devil:

Scenes from a mall: Musical instruments

jadis
Legend
Legend

Analog Flies High

Postby jadis » Thu May 05, 2011 8:14 pm

Analog Flies High

While we were having some burgers and fries inside a diner in Universal Studios Singapore, I spotted a familiar sight that would have my eyes glued on for a few minutes. Spinning vinyl floating high near the ceiling. One was even a 45RPM with a Decca label. :o But in my estimation, it was not a 'wide band' so I decide not to pursue it. :lol:

The spinning vinyls are actually on top of an old fashioned jukebox, I was about to flip some coins to play some tunes but when I got nearer, inside were all CDs! So much for nostalgia. :lol:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Manila Walk

Postby jadis » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:43 pm

WALK FOR 'EXCELENTE HAM'

It was supposed to be a lazy day today, cloudy skies that threatened to rain, so when my wife asked me this morning on a walking tour of downtown Manila, I said next time. She then said, we would proceed to Echague, Quiapo while walking downtown Manila and drop by 'Excelente Ham'. I replied - 'Give me 5 minutes and wait for me in the car'. :lol:

Our first stop was to park our car in our parking lot near the hardware of my brother-in-law located at the end of Tomas Mapua St. near Sta. Cruz. From there the walking 'tour' began.

Above, a view of the 'stockpile' of small to medium gensets in the hardware, which sells mostly marine type pumps, valves, pvc pipes, and desk saw, among other things.

Walking down Carriedo St. which looks so different as the street is now closed to vehicles and virtually everything and anything can be seen splashed all over the street area. A few 'shoe stores' still remain but they are hardly a semblance of the shoe bazaar street that Carriedo was famous for in the 70s. It was so cramped up even on the sidewalks that it was difficult to take a shot of the area. :lol: And passing through it we ended up at Palanca St. wherein the famous 'Excelente Cooked Ham' is located:

Voila! There is even a vendor stall in front of it. I wonder if they have sub-leased the space for such commercial operations. :lol:

Another look at the store, and the stall, which is now quite apparent, selling fruits, at the very least.

Hamming it up: This is all that matters.

Sliced original ham with honey syrup:

Nein Slicen Hammen (Di pa na-slice na hamon) :lol:

After the 'ching ching' debit transaction at the cash register, we walked towards Chinatown, passing by the original SM Echague, which is now an 'Clearance Outlet' Mall. Before it was just a 'shoe mart'. :) I did not want to 'clear out' the wallet so I passed on the opportunity to enter the place. :lol:

After this, we passed through the mouth of Escolta St. in Sta. Cruz, THE shopping place of the times before I was born. :lol: The left side white building is the Regina Bldg, where one of my early audio hobbyist friend had an office. I would visit him there to pick up some 'goodies'. :)

We then landed in Ongpin Street, heart of Chinatown. The building construction on the left side used to house the famous King's Theatre (Ah-Chiu to us folks), where those historical Chinese war movies were shown, and also the Kung Fu films after the Bruce Lee era. Now, they desecrate it by building a 'high rise'. :D

Lunch time came and where else but the ever-famous Ling Nam Wanton Parlor. Yes, in their receipt, the company's name is really called a 'parlor'. My daughter can't help laughing at this.

The all-important Beef Wanton Noodle.

Beside the wanton parlor is my mom's favorite Chinese Drug Store.

And alas, the walking tour ended but the memories were aplenty. I felt like a tour guide to my wife and daughter who were amused by my familiarity with the place. I told them, though it has been many years since I last walked the place, it felt just like yesterday. Thanks to 'Excelente Cooked Ham' for the inspiration. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby TheAnalogSource » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:09 pm

was downtown too today phil for some errands...had lunch at ang tunay na beef mami

....funny but its always a must to have something to eat whenever i go there....lingnam is a usual stop for meryenda.
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Re: Manila Walk

Postby TheAnalogSource » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:13 pm

btw, dito un bilihan ng kilay :lol: :lol: :lol:

jadis wrote:Image
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Re: Manila Walk

Postby jadis » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:39 pm

TAS wrote:btw, dito un bilihan ng kilay :lol: :lol: :lol:

jadis wrote:Image

for a while there, i thought you typed 'kikay'...but they seem to be related anyway... :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:43 pm

TAS wrote:
....funny but its always a must to have something to eat whenever i go there....lingnam is a usual stop for meryenda.

but of course. in chinatown pa. long time ago, we had a pinoy friend who was dining with us in a panciteria there. when all the food came out of the table, he asked our host - 'why did you order so many other food, when in fact this bowl of fried rice has EVERYTHING in it already!' :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Korea's Got Talent

Postby jadis » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:28 pm

Korea's Got Talent. What a heart warming story. And what a voice.

jadis
Legend
Legend

Woodstock

Postby jadis » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:28 am

Woodstock. The Legendary 3-Day Concert, walang uwian. :lol: I was only 9 years old then, too young for hippie 'peace-man' stuffs. I dig the long hairdo of those times though. :lol: The texture of my hair just couldn't manage to have the silky flow down effect. Walang rebond pa noon. :lol: And I figure I have to use a bottle of shampoo a day. :lol:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: Videos, Pictures, & Other Things

Postby jadis » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:10 am

I caught a glance at my daughter's facebook page and saw this cute chow chow puppy for sale. What a cute mutt. Immediately my girl said BUY! BUY! BUY! A quick price check yielded a cost of something like a small tube pre-amp. :o So I just told her one of us might be allergic to its fur. :lol: At any rate, I gotta pay tribute to the mutt's and its distant relatives, after all, they gave us the inspiration to name our bass drivers 'WOOFERS'. :lol:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:40 pm

The Church of the Gesù

The above picture seems to be a cut out from the back cover of a Proprius choral LP. But in fact, was an actual shot I took the other day from visiting the campus of the Blues in Loyola Heights. First time for me to enter the The Church of the Gesù with its massive triangular structure and spacious grounds. Immediately I was drawn into the sound of faint choral tunes as I approach the church and when inside I found out that were rehearsals of several choral groups for a future scheduled performance somewhere in MM.

My love for choral music probably unconsciously started in this campus many decades ago when I would chance upon some small groups singing inspirational songs here and there, and also attending the Glee Club concert and Christmas caroling during the Yuletide season. We sat for a while listening to the serenity of songs of praise and inspiration.

Below, a shot from the backside of the church:

Outside shots of the church:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:00 pm

This falls into the category of 'ETC'. :lol:

My daughter has been bugging me with a lot of questions re the religious wars of those times, Crusades, 30 Years War, etc. While I agree definitely audio is not religion on the other thread, I can't help but be reminded of a few things wherein they are a bit similar, all in the spirit of jest. :)

1. Tube purists - those who use tube only and nothing else, aka Monogamists. :lol:

2. Hell - where tube purists think the Solid State users will go to. :D (I actually read this in another forum) :lol:

3. Analog purist - those who think CDs and servers are sinful objects. :angel:

4. Purgatory - where analog purists think the digital people will go. They are kinder than the tube purists. :lol:

5. Polygamist - user of CD, streaming, lossless, air-whatever, wifi, itunes, ipods, servers, etc. :lol:

6. Bigamist - user of tube and SS gears. They like to call themselves hybrid lovers. :lol:

7. Divorce - your real wife leaves you after learning you married your audio set-up, the de facto wife. :lol:

8. Limbo - where Solid State purists think the analog purists are in already. :tmi:

9. Nirvana - where tube purists think they themselves are in already. :angel:

10. Blasphemy – An ARC fan hearing Nelson Pass being called a ‘god’. :devil:

11. Idolatry - worshiping an 845 tube and thinking it is Ra. :lol:

12. Heretic - my good friend kabubi had mentioned this in the main thread, using equalizers and such similar contraptions. :lol:

13. Fanatic – a person who buys a set of NOS tubes years before his tube pre-amp. :lol:

14. Terrorist – a person who requests to play The Gates of Dafos in your pair of Quad ESL speakers at full volume. :rock: :devil:

15. Temptation - home auditioning $100k speakers when you are down to your last $100k. :devil:

16. Suicide - home auditioning $100k speakers when you have only $20k. :devil: :devil:

17. Enlightenment - selling all your audio gears and software and deciding to watch all live concerts instead. :angel:

18. Blessing – when you long lost uncle learns you’re a vinyl lover and gives you 50 boxes of records in his garage, plus a Marantz Model 7 and Model 9. :angel: :lol:

19. Pilgrimage – trip to White Bear Lake, Minnesota, USA :angel: (There are many sites, can be Glasgow, UK or parts unknown, Russia). :D

20. Born-again - seeing a dead tube light up again. (Can also be regarded as a Miracle) :o :lol:

21. Eternal Damnation – when your favorite tube dies and you have no spares in your closet. ;(

22. Holy grail - near mint records costing $1000 and up. (Original Hi Fi ala Espanola and Royal Ballet) :tmi:

23. Crusaders - a bunch of tube lovers entering the room of a diehard SS user. :lol:

24. Martyr - a diehard SS user in the midst of a dozen tube lovers inside a beer pub. :angel: :lol:

25. Reformation - when a SS user converts to tube gears. :lol:

26. Reincarnation –when you bring in your bookself speakers to your dealer’s room and come out with floorstanding speakers. Commonly known as 'trade-in' in the audio parlance. :lol:

27. Confession – when you whisper to your guest that the subterranean bass was coming from a floor hatch that you dug to hide your subwoofers while he can only see a pair of Spica TC-50s. :lol:

28. Ritual – when you try to play your record, you first take off the cloth covering the turntable, open the dust cover, clean the dust on your platter, pluck out a record from you bin, remove the plastic jacket, remove the record from the inner sleeves, clean the record on your RCM, put the record on your platter, put on the record clamp and periphery ring, turn on the air pump of your tonearm, cue in the stylus, lower the stylus, un-mute your phono stage, increase the volume, and RUN to your listening chair so you won’t miss the first few seconds of the overture! And damn! you forgot to turn off the lights for the warm ambiance, so you START ALL OVER AGAIN but only at the part where you cue in your stylus! :o :lol: And then to play the next record, you have to UNDO all that stuff you just did. :lol:

29. Meditation - the act of A/B'ing Pink label and QRP pressing of Cat Steven's Tea for the Tillerman. :lol:

30. Moses and the 2 Tablets - did not really contain the 10 commandments but a couple of tweeters and small woofers. :lol:

jadis
Legend
Legend

UST Museum

Postby jadis » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:23 am

UST MUSEUM

Had a chance to visit the nice campus of UST a few weeks ago, and chanced upon the welcoming doors of the now-famous UST Quadricentennial Museum. A few interesting things, among which an old old percussion set which I believe was NOT the ones used in the DAFOS recording. :lol:

Another display that the UST people are proud of, their expertise in preserving former living things. There is a scientific term but my RAM has not been updated to the one with bigger capacity. :lol:

Some native birds:

Probably one of the ancestors of the croc caught in Agusan: :lol:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: My Boy on The Piano

Postby jadis » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:22 pm

When I was young, my mother wanted me to play the guitar so that whenever there was a long brownout (yes Virginia, there were already brownouts in the70s, more popularly called Blackouts), :lol: I could play some music for her while her phonograph was idling. :) What I didn't exactly finish, or achieve, I was hoping my son would. :lol: And to start with, I named him Johann, as in Sebastian Bach (really that was the intention, of at least being musically inclined in this day and age); :lol: hoping that in so doing, some musical 'magic' would happen. After that, I put him (and his older sister) in Yamaha's School of Music to learn piano for a few years and in so doing deprived myself of upgrading my audio system for a few years. :lol: A few years back he surprised me by asking me to buy him a guitar instead. Some leap. :lol: After a few months he set aside his guitar and went back to playing the piano mainly because he heard his sister playing some Rihanna and Katy Perry songs. :lol: Way to go. 8) I coaxed him into learning Pachelbel's Canon in D, ala George Winston in the album 'December', after all, I told him Pachebel's first name was also Johann. :lol: And when he's not playing basketball with his friends but moonlighting as an amateur pianist, this is what he has to show.

Pachelbel's Canon in D:

And a song that his sister taught him - 'Vera's Theme':

I hope he doesn't get carried away and ask for a grand piano - a Spalding basketball or a Blake Griffin Nike pair of shoes is much much cheaper than a grand or a baby grand. :D

Thanks for watching. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Stylus and the Microscope

Postby jadis » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:55 am

A very good friend emailed these pics to me, showing the cantilever and stylus of cartridges when viewed through a digital microscope. I was told the idea here was to illustrate SRA (stylus rake angle) of cartridges, as they are not set in a universal manner. I was told that is ideal SRA is 92 degrees, and many super die-hard 'analogists' swear by the improvements brought forth by the proper setting of the SRA in their rigs.

Below, a 'digipic' of a stylus/cantilever throught a digi-microscope:

Another cart brand under the 'radar'. Did they use a flame-thrower for this one for metal hardening/heat treatment? :lol:

jadis
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner