Three Reel Tape Players and a Brain Frequency Enhancer

For the serious and not so serious in audio: DoItYourself and Tubes (SET, PP, Vintage).

Moderator: kabubi

Three Reel Tape Players and a Brain Frequency Enhancer

Postby kabubi » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:24 pm

above is the system of an audiophile-scientist turned gardener whom i many respect very much. as you can see, his current set-up involves no less than THREE reel tapes that alternate in the action. lately, he has accumulated lots of reel tapes, mostly of jazz artists, to feed his passion for music and DiY audio. he swears to the lifelike rendition of musical material in his humble music room.

he has practically hand made all his amplifiers, preamps and acoustic panels. recently, he, along with a immensely talented engineer-buddy of his have come up with what they candidly refer to as a BRAIN FREQUENCY ENHANCER the principle of which is to condition the listener's brain towards a calmer, more relaxed state. these 2 madmen who created this contraption contend that when the brain is more relaxed, it is more capable of listening and interpreting sound, or music for that matter. ergo, the system sounds more lifelike, the hearing is more sensitive and receptive.

as my friend explains it to my elementary mind, the philosophy revolves around the theory that earth has a natural frequency and the human brain is tuned to that same frequency as well. through the centuries, homo sapiens has created a lot of man-made frequencies that are not necessary helpful and lead to stress, such as noise and pollution. these man-made frequencies hinder the appreciation of music or of your respective sound system for that matter. (he tells me: "di ba pag lumayo ka sa kabihasnan at nag-nature trip ka, di ba relaxed ang mind mo?") as previously mentioned, my friends' contraption helps in tuning the brain to the natural earth/brain frequency. and it helps in providing a restful sleep, too! :) :) :)

i'm going out on a limb here and may court scorn and disbelief from some of those who read this, but hey, didn't they laugh at Columbus, Galileo and Alexander Graham Bell?

in the photo, the brain frequency enhancer is that thing with the green lights beside his bowl of European DHT tubes.
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Re: Three Reel Tape Players and a Brain Frequency Enhancer

Postby obi » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:47 pm

thank you sir kabubi for starting this thread.

i have had the pleasure of being in that same living room listening to the big K's (the reel tape decks were not there then).

the host was a perfect gent, unselfishly sharing what he knew about about audio (being a listener and more importantly, a diyer).

the wooden floor/planks/etc are to die for :clap:

our last correspondence, he is into gardening.

i hope to pay the good sir a visit soon (and to think i'm only a couple of minutes from his home).

thanks
obi
Citizen
Citizen

Postby joejet » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:12 pm

kabubi wrote:Image

above is the system of an audiophile-scientist turned gardener whom i many respect very much. as you can see, his current set-up involves no less than THREE reel tapes that alternate in the action. lately, he has accumulated lots of reel tapes, mostly of jazz artists, to feed his passion for music and DiY audio. he swears to the lifelike rendition of musical material in his humble music room.

he has practically hand made all his amplifiers, preamps and acoustic panels. recently, he, along with a immensely talented engineer-buddy of his have come up with what they candidly refer to as a BRAIN FREQUENCY ENHANCER the principle of which is to condition the listener's brain towards a calmer, more relaxed state. these 2 madmen who created this contraption contend that when the brain is more relaxed, it is more capable of listening and interpreting sound, or music for that matter. ergo, the system sounds more lifelike, the hearing is more sensitive and receptive.

as my friend explains it to my elementary mind, the philosophy revolves around the theory that earth has a natural frequency and the human brain is tuned to that same frequency as well. through the centuries, homo sapiens has created a lot of man-made frequencies that are not necessary helpful and lead to stress, such as noise and pollution. these man-made frequencies hinder the appreciation of music or of your respective sound system for that matter. (he tells me: "di ba pag lumayo ka sa kabihasnan at nag-nature trip ka, di ba relaxed ang mind mo?") as previously mentioned, my friends' contraption helps in tuning the brain to the natural earth/brain frequency. and it helps in providing a restful sleep, too! :) :) :)

i'm going out on a limb here and may court scorn and disbelief from some of those who read this, but hey, didn't they laugh at Columbus, Galileo and Alexander Graham Bell?

in the photo, the brain frequency enhancer is that thing with the green lights beside his bowl of European DHT tubes.

This is great work.. Really..
joejet
Citizen
Citizen

Postby TheAnalogSource » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:31 pm

kabubi wrote:

kala ko bucket of san mig light...which will yield also the same result :lol: :lol: :lol:
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby camotecue » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:01 pm

nice! its been a while since i last visited my audio mentor. got to hear those reel tapes.
camotecue
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tsnad » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:24 pm

sir kabubi, ganda ng reel player nio po, sir anu po nga brand nyan..... kasi po gusto ko rin yung tunog ng open reel...
tsnad

Postby kabubi » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:35 pm

tsnad wrote:sir kabubi, ganda ng reel player nio po, sir anu po nga brand nyan..... kasi po gusto ko rin yung tunog ng open reel...

actually, it's not mine bosing. but if i'm not mistaken, my friend's reel tape players are Revox, Tascam and Akai.
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby don » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:21 pm

hi kabubi.

may i/we know who is this audiophile-scientist-gardener (interesting character...)friend of yours or he prefers it low key and prefers to be anonymous (to most of us, anyway...).what is he using as speaker system, btw?

thanks.
don
Citizen
Citizen

Postby kabubi » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:57 pm

hello Don,

the person that i am referring to is none other than Oca Emperio otherwise known as carlosmiguel here in WS. the brain frequency enhancer was developed by Oca with the help of Mandy Marino, another person who i hold a very high regard for. the premise for this contraption as i've so layman-ly explained is that music from your system sounds much better if your brain is more relaxed and receptive. parang tenga din yan e, mas maganda ang sounds kung walang diperensya o malinis ang tenga, di ba?

the speakers of Mang Oca are DiY klipsch horns, by the way, one of the first created by the venerable Larry Roxas (aka camotecue) who, if you read his comment in this thread, only has the highest admiration for Oca. the amps and preamps are personally made Oca: 45, 2a3, 26 (amp) and a 26 pre.

but wait a minute! i think people here should know that (in my book) like carlosmiguel, you rank high up there with the best DiYers in the country. if only more people can be as fortunate as i who have listened to your hand made audio creations and marveled at your vintage audio collection which contains the most sought-after receivers, speakers, amps and preamps.

all the best to you, my friend. hope i can taste the fantastic cooking of your better half again :D
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby troporobo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:35 am

This "brain frequency enhancer" sounds like the theory behind Schumann resonances, which (according to Wikipedia) are "the principal background in the electromagnetic spectrum beginning at 3 Hz and extend to 60 Hz, and appear as distinct peaks at extremely low frequencies around 7.83 (fundamental), 14.3, 20.8, 27.3 and 33.8 Hz"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schumann_resonances

There are some audiophile devices that claim to exploit these resonances for imprvoed listening, apparently becuase our brains are naturally "tuned" to them, but I've forgotten the brands as they were too expensive for me to consider experimenting with
troporobo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby kabubi » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:45 am

ei Robert, kumusta?

i think the Schuman brain resonator is the inspiration behind the gadget that Oca and Mandy made.
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby don » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:04 pm

thanks Buboy.interesting set-up...
must be nice listening to those RTR as source and complete set-up , as described.
hope to see and listen to them in the Hi-Fi show, aside from the usual TT & CDP sources...
don
Citizen
Citizen

Postby zenaudio » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:13 pm

Wow! Thanks for sharing.
The "natural frequency" does make sense because earth has a rumble which lies below our conscious hearing by evolutionary necessity.
In my case, the best test of a "relaxed state" is when I am awakened by the needle hitting the label. :D
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to DIY and Tubes