When You Wish Upon A(udio) Star

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Re: When You Wish Upon A(udio) Star

Postby kabubi » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:02 pm

plasticman wrote:i think you first have to pickup something from my house so that the wonder twins can do the RTA tuning w/ the M&_ in place :x ;)

oo nga, eh.

the problem is, my car is not big enough to squeeze it in. i may need a bigger car; perhaps a German engineered vehicle with 6 cylinders, preferably black ;) ;) ;)
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby qguy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:29 am

Funny how a few herts from 14-30, has a DRAMATIC effect. Thats a total of 14 different bass frequencies, compared to 31hz all the way to 20,000 hz for the rest of the system. Percentage wise the Subwoofer is contributing 14/19986 which is about 0.07 Percent.
qguy
Master
Master

Postby jadis » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:44 am

qguy wrote:Funny how a few herts from 14-30, has a DRAMATIC effect. Thats a total of 14 different bass frequencies, compared to 31hz all the way to 20,000 hz for the rest of the system. Percentage wise the Subwoofer is contributing 14/19986 which is about 0.07 Percent.

Yes, interesting indeed. And the idea of stretching it down to those very low frequencies is that you gotta have material with those frequencies, ie. recordings with low bass frequencies like organ music. And only a handful of recordings are of these types. I know you collect a lot of 'bass' materials, Q, so I can sense that you're really at home with the topic. From my visits to Val and John, they too have recordings that goes down low and if not that low, the bass has tremendous impact, in fact, just like pat morita, they love these kinds of recordings that give their woofers and servos a 'workout'. I don't think it's sensible to buy a Porsche with 345 HP to drive in downtown Binondo traffic. The SCTEX is more like it. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby qguy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:23 am

I have heard small systems with big subs (mine) and Big systems without a sub, What I have not heard is a big system with a BIG @!$!@~ Subwoofer (Vals). I can not imagine the (Dafos) Beast playing on this rig !!! I get scared playing this track on my gear, I would probably get a heart attack on Vals system :rofl:
qguy
Master
Master

Postby jadis » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:47 am

qguy wrote:I have heard small systems with big subs (mine) and Big systems without a sub, What I have not heard is a big system with a BIG @!$!@~ Subwoofer (Vals). I can not imagine the (Dafos) Beast playing on this rig !!! I get scared playing this track on my gear, I would probably get a heart attack on Vals system :rofl:

I'm not a bass-bomber per se (as evidenced by my 1 inch ultra short excursion bass panels), :lol: but when I hear clean, deep, articulate and impactful bass, I can't help but be impressed by it. I can remember a handful of home audio experiences from high end systems that were able to do this with gusto, and this present system of Val definitely is one of them. Try the 'Passage' cut of Dafos, which is all-music with various percussion instruments from around the world. The last few minutes can be heart-stopping and floor shaking. Mickey Hart and Airto Moreira...What more can you ask for?
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby plasticman » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:49 am

kabubi wrote:
plasticman wrote:i think you first have to pickup something from my house so that the wonder twins can do the RTA tuning w/ the M&_ in place :x ;)

oo nga, eh.

the problem is, my car is not big enough to squeeze it in. i may need a bigger car; perhaps a German engineered vehicle with 6 cylinders, preferably black ;) ;) ;)

Kasyang kasya yun sa back seat or sa trunk! No need for a big car. Although having that German engineered, 6-cylinder black one won't hurt ;)
plasticman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Gaucho » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:13 pm

"The final configuration now is: Altec 421s: infinity to 300Hz; Altec 290: 300Hz to 2.5KHz; aurum cantus ribbon tweeters: 2.5KHz to infinity with all slopes at 6db per octave. The subs were cut at 30Hz at 12db per octave."

Way to go Val. Congrats bradir.....

+100 on JBL's ( love thy own :lol: )
Gaucho
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Chuckyboy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:19 pm

audiostar wrote:
joe3rp wrote:Val,
Congrats bossing, looks like your latest adjustments and new gear and with the use of ears and new instruments has pushed your system to NIRVANA :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

long live to JBL/Altec drivers .... :rock:

Thanks Joey :) The inputs we get from people who visited my room to listen are invaluable. This is the reason I invite people and get their honest impressions to guide us where we should be headed sonically. The system now is immensely different from the last time you visited. FYI: Admittedly our main mistake then was when we cut the Altec woofers to 80hz leaving the subs to take care of most of the lower registers. The sound was clinical; yes it was linear but lacked the lushness of the Altecs. Lin correctly pointed out that my system was good only from 80Hz up. We finally let loose the full potential of the Altecs by no longer cutting its lower frequencies. The final configuration now is: Altec 421s: infinity to 300Hz; Altec 290: 300Hz to 2.5KHz; aurum cantus ribbon tweeters: 2.5KHz to infinity with all slopes at 6db per octave. The subs were cut at 30Hz at 12db per octave. The Audio Control RTA proved useful in integrating the subs. We ran the RTA on a slow mode while we were calibrating their SPLs. We were seeing in real time the actual curve such that we were able to accurately integrate the subs (30Hz down) without peaks and dips in the whole lower registers. With the Altecs being 'freed', It's full glory now brings up the whole system to another level, as Jadis must have experienced. You're right and also in my opinion, the Altecs and the JBLs are the best transducers ever made :inlove: :inlove: :clap: :clap:

:clap: :clap: :clap:
pa-kain este pa-session ka ulit sir :)
Chuckyboy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby audiostar » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:24 pm

qguy wrote:I have heard small systems with big subs (mine) and Big systems without a sub, What I have not heard is a big system with a BIG @!$!@~ Subwoofer (Vals). I can not imagine the (Dafos) Beast playing on this rig !!! I get scared playing this track on my gear, I would probably get a heart attack on Vals system :rofl:

Hi Q, would love to have you over at my place if it's not too inconvenient for you to travel down south. Just to correct some facts: my woofers are not powered by SET amps; my mids and highs are. The woofers get their power from QSC PLX3402, a solid state amp which has enough muscle to bring those thunderous slam. My mids and highs are powered by SET amps - Cayin 9084D monoblocks, so my system is basically a marriage between power and grace :)

@chuck: we'll sched one soon!

@ayie: thanks bro :)
audiostar

Location: audio nirvana st., speakers corner ave. music city, mars

Postby qguy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:27 pm

Thanks. hopefully my schedule permits once you have session

audiostar wrote:

Hi Q, would love to have you over at my place if it's not too inconvenient for you to travel down south. Just to correct some facts: my woofers are not powered by SET amps; my mids and highs are. The woofers get their power from QSC PLX3402, a solid state amp which has enough muscle to bring those thunderous slam. My mids and highs are powered by SET amps - Cayin 9084D monoblocks, so my system is basically a marriage between power and grace :)

@chuck: we'll sched one soon!

@ayie: thanks bro :)
qguy
Master
Master

Postby Noel_14 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:00 pm

[quote="audiostar"
[/quote]

Sir Val, THanks for mentioning the awesome (as Ferdie describe it ;) ) product from Cayin. By the way, Have you tried you new Psvane 300B-T Tube with your system? Can you give an insight? :) :)

Cheers
Noel_14
Citizen
Citizen

Postby audiostar » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:24 pm

Yes noel, they were actually the ones plugged into the Cayin monoblocks powering my Altec horns during the session with senor gelano and jadis. Ang layo ng tunog from the previous' Full Music 300B. I'm going to write my impressions in a separate thread. Initially I would say that those tubes contributed a lot to the lushness of the mids :-)
audiostar

Postby Noel_14 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:02 pm

those 300B's can really sing, its has nice reviews too. by the way, I still have a pair. if you're interested, asked Bernie to dropby :devil: :devil:
Noel_14
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:09 pm

Val,

Pare, could you kindly post your entire chain of gears, if you don't mind. Many people have been asking me about your preamp, phono stage, etc. and I have to think a bit because in the many times I have been there, several things must have changed. Eh alam mo naman din, pag kasama si ponytail pat, and pinapa-FOCUS niya ay ang Transfiguration niya. :lol: Kaya parang na 'pigeon hole' na rin ako sa kanya. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Superman » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:49 pm

Hope to visit you bro together w/ the "gang"...October 29 or 30 maybe??
Superman
Master Showman

Postby audiostar » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:07 pm

jadis wrote:Val,

Pare, could you kindly post your entire chain of gears, if you don't mind. Many people have been asking me about your preamp, phono stage, etc. and I have to think a bit because in the many times I have been there, several things must have changed. Eh alam mo naman din, pag kasama si ponytail pat, and pinapa-FOCUS niya ay ang Transfiguration niya. :lol: Kaya parang na 'pigeon hole' na rin ako sa kanya. :lol:

He he okay I'll post it here soon with pics tracing the signal from the sources to the speakers :)
audiostar

Postby audiostar » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:08 pm

Superman wrote:Hope to visit you bro together w/ the "gang"...October 29 or 30 maybe??

Just let me know if you're in town :)
audiostar

Postby jadis » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:40 pm

audiostar wrote:
jadis wrote:Val,

He he okay I'll post it here soon with pics tracing the signal from the sources to the speakers :)

Great!
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Thu May 03, 2018 7:02 pm

A Historic Moment, Señor Sensible Visits A Star from Philstar...AUDIOSTAR! :)

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Thu May 03, 2018 7:10 pm

Is that MORITA in the middle? :D

jadis
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner