REQUEST FOR RECO'S RE DEFECTIVE MAC LOGIC BOARD

Moderator: JackD201

REQUEST FOR RECO'S RE DEFECTIVE MAC LOGIC BOARD

Postby sumnerbrowne » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:55 pm

WS Friends,

May I ask for your reco's/suggestions given the following: after only 1 year and 6 mos. the logic board of my Macbook conked out. The authorized tech support is recommending I buy a replacement logic board worth 24K - roughly 50% of the SRP of a new Macbook.

Would be grateful for your tips/suggestions/recos.

Thanks.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Re: REQUEST FOR RECO'S RE DEFECTIVE MAC LOGIC BOARD

Postby muypogi » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:04 pm

sumnerbrowne wrote:WS Friends,

May I ask for your reco's/suggestions given the following: after only 1 year and 6 mos. the logic board of my Macbook conked out. The authorized tech support is recommending I buy a replacement logic board worth 24K - roughly 50% of the SRP of a new Macbook.

Thanks.

Unless you bought the extended Apple Care warranty, you have little choice but to have the logic board repaired, as Macs can only be serviced by the authorized service centers. Haven't heard of a friendly neighborhood repair shop being able to service Mac laptops.
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby marbinism » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:38 pm

sir buy a new one.
Mac's logic board = heart and soul of macs! :)
marbinism
Citizen
Citizen

Postby brubeck » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:23 pm

That'll be beating on a dead horse if I say "you should have bought Apple Care". But for the price, it's really worth it. I spilled coffee on my mac and having a good relationship with my reseller, they cleaned it before sending it for warranty approval. The track pad was replaced all under apple care.

I suggest you sell off the working parts of your mac and use the proceeds to soften the blow of purchasing a new MACBOOK AIR ;)
brubeck
Citizen
Citizen

Postby sumnerbrowne » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:45 pm

muypogi wrote:
sumnerbrowne wrote:WS Friends,

Thanks.

Unless you bought the extended Apple Care warranty, you have little choice but to have the logic board repaired, as Macs can only be serviced by the authorized service centers. Haven't heard of a friendly neighborhood repair shop being able to service Mac laptops.

Thanks, Muypogi.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby sumnerbrowne » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:52 pm

marbinism wrote:sir buy a new one.
Mac's logic board = heart and soul of macs! :)

Thanks, Marbinism. Traumatizing nga lang yung experience considering that I hardly take the laptop out of the house and it has all sorts of physical and virtual protectors. Lahat ng nakaload na programs dun original at downloaded from Apple. Tapos in only 1 year and a half sira agad. Buti pa tong gamit ko ngayon na Neo computer --- 2 years na di pasira.

Salamat uli, Marbinism.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby sumnerbrowne » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:54 pm

brubeck wrote:That'll be beating on a dead horse if I say "you should have bought Apple Care". But for the price, it's really worth it. I spilled coffee on my mac and having a good relationship with my reseller, they cleaned it before sending it for warranty approval. The track pad was replaced all under apple care.

I suggest you sell off the working parts of your mac and use the proceeds to soften the blow of purchasing a new MACBOOK AIR ;)

Thanks, Brubeck, I'm starting to lean towards that direction. Would you be able to recommend any shop which buys and cannibalizes dead Macs? Salamat, bro.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby brubeck » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:48 pm

Try to push the mac for parts at Philmug. Tipidpc also comes to mind.
brubeck
Citizen
Citizen

Postby makinao » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:22 pm

Weder-weder lang yan. I've had friends with high-end IBM (pre-Lenovo) Thinkpads and Toshiba Porteges whose motherboards died just weeks after the warranty expired. Last resort before selling it for scrap, try ValuePC in LaLoma: http://www.valuepc.com.ph/page_contact.php

Early this year they fixed my long out-of-warranty 2005 iBook. A couple of "authorized" service centers said the logic board was toast. Video chip lang pala. 6-month warranty on the repair. And they had a replacement battery for my 1st gen Nano when nobody else did. Who knows? Baka kaya nila.
makinao
Citizen
Citizen

Postby 5thpanzer » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:10 am

sir have you tried browsing to philmug.com or philmug.org someone might help you there . thats an apple fan website...
5thpanzer
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Gau_Ban » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:07 pm

It is pretty much de riguer to buy apple care for apple laptops now.

If you have the money, buy a new mac and make sure you buy apple care before the 1st year warranty expires.
If you need to scrimp, buy a logic board.
If you need to scrimp some more, try ValuePC. They seem to be ok. I bought a replacement toshiba laptop power supply from them and it has worked well.

Many of the "Technicians" in the apple service centers don't know electronics. The limit of their abilities is to swap defective components for working ones.
Gau_Ban
Citizen
Citizen

Postby sumnerbrowne » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:38 pm

brubeck wrote:Try to push the mac for parts at Philmug. Tipidpc also comes to mind.

Salamat,bro. Appreciate the help.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby sumnerbrowne » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:39 pm

makinao wrote:Weder-weder lang yan. I've had friends with high-end IBM (pre-Lenovo) Thinkpads and Toshiba Porteges whose motherboards died just weeks after the warranty expired. Last resort before selling it for scrap, try ValuePC in LaLoma: http://www.valuepc.com.ph/page_contact.php

Early this year they fixed my long out-of-warranty 2005 iBook. A couple of "authorized" service centers said the logic board was toast. Video chip lang pala. 6-month warranty on the repair. And they had a replacement battery for my 1st gen Nano when nobody else did. Who knows? Baka kaya nila.

Thanks, Makinao. Will check out ValuePC asap.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby sumnerbrowne » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:40 pm

5thpanzer wrote:sir have you tried browsing to philmug.com or philmug.org someone might help you there . thats an apple fan website...

Not yet, 5thpanzer. Thanks for the tip. Will check them out.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby sumnerbrowne » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:50 pm

Gau_Ban wrote:It is pretty much de riguer to buy apple care for apple laptops now.

If you have the money, buy a new mac and make sure you buy apple care before the 1st year warranty expires.
If you need to scrimp, buy a logic board.
If you need to scrimp some more, try ValuePC. They seem to be ok. I bought a replacement toshiba laptop power supply from them and it has worked well.

Many of the "Technicians" in the apple service centers don't know electronics. The limit of their abilities is to swap defective components for working ones.

Thanks, Gau_Ban. Looks like ValuePC is worth checking out. Maraming salamat. You're the 3rd WS bro to endorse them (counting Spare's text endorsement.)

A well-meaning Apple reseller tech guy endorsed me to a certain Jude in Virra Mall. He's offering a no-fix, no-pay deal for Php 2,500. I sure hope he's like that guy featured by CNN the other night who can make wonders with Apple products written off by Apple. Has anyone heard of Jude?

The other option I'm looking at is to call the 1800 number of Apple and appeal to their goodwill. A long shot but worth taking. Sayang kasi 25K for a logic board. For that amount I can get a brand new Toshiba or HP laptop.

Thanks again, bro.

Mabuhay ang WIRED STATE!
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby sumnerbrowne » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:52 pm

Have pulled out my Mac from the authorized repair shop today. Will explore leads provided by the WS community. Thanks again.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby carbondated » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:48 am

Have stopped buying AppleCare because the evolution of Macs is now so fast that I have to buy a new machine before something needs replacing. I'd buy AppleCare for something like a MacPro -- the logic board of my PowerMac G5 blew out twice because I connected its output directly to a cheap Chinese tube amp, and they replaced it twice for free.

At the 4th floor of Megamall they're selling the Macbook Air (not the latest Thunderbolt version, the one before that) at 42K, 12 mos 0% interest... :devil:
carbondated
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Gau_Ban » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:10 am

carbondated wrote:Have stopped buying AppleCare because the evolution of Macs is now so fast that I have to buy a new machine before something needs replacing. I'd buy AppleCare for something like a MacPro -- the logic board of my PowerMac G5 blew out twice because I connected its output directly to a cheap Chinese tube amp, and they replaced it

Some people have to use their laptops for several years in which case Applecare is needed.
Gau_Ban
Citizen
Citizen

Return to Technical Archives