Digital Signal from Ipod/Ipad/Iphone

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Re: Digital Signal from Ipod/Ipad/Iphone

Postby muypogi » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:37 pm

JoeyGS wrote:Per my experience, the Onkyo is better that the wadia....sonically, that is. :lol: ....and cheaper din pala :clap:

muypogi wrote:Then you may have no choice but to buy the Wadia Dock, as that one has been reviewed extensively and has proven to be a very reliable "high-end" DAC that has access to the pure digital stream of an iPod. Why not get one on demo and try it out with the DAC that you're using?

AFAIK, I know of no Apple or third party ipod LOD cable that is capable of bypassing the internal DAC. Even the Red Wine LODs and the iPod mod still use the internal DAC of the iPod.

Then yun na lang. Gets true digital out, cheaper pa.
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JoeyGS » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:38 am

The SQ output does not meet my current standards. 8)

I will see if there any mods out there aside from the wallwart upgrade.

muypogi wrote:
JoeyGS wrote:Per my experience, the Onkyo is better that the wadia....sonically, that is. :lol: ....and cheaper din pala :clap:

muypogi wrote:Then you may have no choice but to buy the Wadia Dock, as that one has been reviewed extensively and has proven to be a very reliable "high-end" DAC that has access to the pure digital stream of an iPod. Why not get one on demo and try it out with the DAC that you're using?

AFAIK, I know of no Apple or third party ipod LOD cable that is capable of bypassing the internal DAC. Even the Red Wine LODs and the iPod mod still use the internal DAC of the iPod.

Then yun na lang. Gets true digital out, cheaper pa.
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JoeyGS » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:43 am

You are right Jack. ND-S1 and Wadia gives out pure digital signal via its Toslink and Coax. However, Wadia has an analog RCA output while the ND-S1 has none.

JackD201 wrote:The ND-S1 does what the Wadia does. It has SPDIF out via both Toslink and Coax. Why is everybody saying that it is only giving out analog via the iPod's internal converter?
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:45 am

Bro, what bit rate are your iPod files encoded at?
JackD201
Immortal

Postby JoeyGS » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:54 am

I have WAV files at:

96 khz 4608 kbps for hires downloads
and
44.1 khz 1411 kbps for CD rips

JackD201 wrote:Bro, what bit rate are your iPod files encoded at?
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:56 am

Kaya mag-labas ng 24/96 ang iPod?
JackD201
Immortal

Postby JoeyGS » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:12 am

I stand corrected jack.....

My Itunes carries 96 khz 4608 kbps for hires downloads and 44.1 khz 1411 kbps for CD rips

While my Ipod only carries 44.1 khz 1411 kbps for CD rips only

Both the Wadia and the Onkyo are designed to output 16/44.1 due to the limitations of the Ipod output
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JoeyGS » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:17 am

Another thing...... USB cables only carry digital signal and not analog signal.....right?

If you extract music from the Ipod via its USB cable, are you not getting digital signal?
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:40 am

Kamali ako Joe. May analog out (line) sa socket sa ilalim ng iPod. This is where a plain jane dock get's the analog signal. Tama si Amir, kung rekta yung supplied iPod interface/usb cable, hindi gamit/connected ang pins niya for analog. :)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby JoeyGS » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:39 am

AYUS :) then, I would be able to compare the following setup harnessing the digital signal of the Ipod/Ipad/Iphone:

Ipod/Ipad/Iphone -----> USB cable -------> desktop/laptop computer -----> USB/SPDIF converter (M2Tech Hiface or Halide Design Bridge) -----> coax cable -----> dac -----> preamp/amp

VS.

Ipod/Ipad/Iphone ---> Onkyo ND-S1 Ipod dock -----> coax cable -----> dac -----> preamp/amp
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JoeyGS » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:33 am

BTW...

The second setup I indicated seemed to be doing a D/A and A/D conversion.

2nd set-up:
Ipod/Ipad/Iphone ---> Onkyo ND-S1 Ipod dock -----> coax cable -----> dac -----> preamp/amp

Please correct me if I am wrong....that the Ipod/Ipad/Iphone will convert its digital music data into analog thru its internal DAC (D/A conversion). Then, the Onkyo dock circuitry will receive the analog signal and convert it into a digital signal (A/D conversion) which in turn will be received by the outboard dock.
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby muypogi » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:47 am

JoeyGS wrote:BTW...

The second setup I indicated seemed to be doing a D/A and A/D conversion.

2nd set-up:

Please correct me if I am wrong....that the Ipod/Ipad/Iphone will convert its digital music data into analog thru its internal DAC (D/A conversion). Then, the Onkyo dock circuitry will receive the analog signal and convert it into a digital signal (A/D conversion) which in turn will be received by the outboard dock.

Mukhang all digital (which we define as unprocessed by the iPod's internal DAC) until the external DAC.

Here's a review:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio- ... 012/review

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Onkyo-ND-S1/
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:36 am

Yes Moi, another way of putting it is, if at anytime it uses it's internal DAC the output will always be what the internal DAC is for.....conversion from digital to analog. :)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby JoeyGS » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:06 am

I will try this solution to use Ipad as a music server:

http://"https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=479324705436610&set=a.479324638769950.98669.460963790606035&type=1&theater"

But I will use my existing external dac and a USB to SPDIF converter. So I am looking at the iFi USB Power to provide clean power and music data into the converter/Dac

Some of the reviews:

[url="http://www.audiostream.com/content/ifi-iusbpower-taking-audioquest-draginfly-dac-notch"]http://www.audiostream.com/content/ifi-iusbpower-taking-audioquest-draginfly-dac-notch[/url]

http://www.ifi-audio.com/en/news.html

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/ifi-iusb-power-supply-neat-tweak-and-upgrade-usb-dac-13832/
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Voltraizer » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:57 pm

http:////www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=479324705436610&set=a.479324638769950.98669.460963790606035&type=1&theater"
Voltraizer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby n_dot » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:13 pm

How about this one I think it can support upto Ipad3

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Pure-Digital-i20/
n_dot

Postby carbondated » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:26 am

As far as I know, using the camera connector to plug in a USB DAC is a workaround and not wholly sanctioned by Apple -- but with the right DAC you can play back high-res files at up to 24/96 using the Flac Player app. An iPod/iPhone/iPad's internal audio engine and D/A converter is limited to 48kHz.
carbondated
Citizen
Citizen

Postby choyb » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:33 am

Thank you joeyGS for starting this thread, this is VERY INFORMATIVE!
Cheers! :clap:
choyb
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JoeyGS » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:05 am

You are welcome. Just wish that a local dealer bring in iFi products in the Philippines with its affordable price.

choyb wrote:Thank you joeyGS for starting this thread, this is VERY INFORMATIVE!
Cheers! :clap:
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JoeyGS » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:31 am

There is a current review of using the Ipad/Camera Kit Connector in conjunction with the iFi iUSB Power with USB-PSDIF converters. There were mixed results. Following is the excerpt from the review and the link to the full review:

The iFi USB’s applications run a little deeper than simple computer appendage. It designed to work with Apple’s iPad and Camera Connection Kit. I had mixed results with this.

I excitedly – and ultimately mistakenly – imagined the iFi brick to be a magic bullet for Apple iPad audiophillia – a way to enable communication between ANY USB device and Apple’s iPad. After all, the iFi was ponying up the necessary 5V so why would the iPad care what the power draw might be? But it did. It cared very much.

When attaching the following to the iFi iUSBPower and then to iPad, the “too much power” error made an unwelcome appearance and precluded sound routing to the USB device:

Peachtree Nova125 (XMOS)
Wyred4Sound uLINK (XMOS)
Micromega MyDAC (XMOS)

Ruh-roh. See a pattern there? At first blush, it seems the iPad CCK doesn’t enjoy pitching to XMOS chipsets but (I learned later that) iFi’s iDAC also runs with XMOS at the USB helm and the iPad brooks no quarrel with it. Ditto the Resonessence Concero – its Cypress CY7c68013A chip played ball beautifully. iPad audiophillia conclusions: three units that don’t work, two that do. Readers are advised to try before they buy should iPad playback be the number one aim of the iFi iUSBPower.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/20...bpower-review/
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Digital