An experience at joe3rp's place

Solidstate (amps, preamps), Tweaks, Cables, New gear, etc...

Moderators: Hyperion, KD

An experience at joe3rp's place

Postby arnoldc » Sat May 10, 2003 8:53 pm

I was privileged to be invited by joe3rp to listen to his gears, and boy what an experience.

So far, his setup has the best soundstage and imaging i have expeienced, among all pinoydiophiles i've been to. The soundstage has width, depth and height - it's damn big. Most of the time i get mesmerized by the setup's midrange or dynamics or slam, but in this case i didn't even cared about that, as i'm part of the performance - i'm in there. I've seen people post about the musicians being "in the room" but in this case what i fell is that i'm "in" the soundstage, as if i'm sitting in the front row. The imaging, to me, is also excellent. By the way, he has a big RPTV in the middle and when i look into that thing, I see the drummer beside the bassist in one track he played.

And i'd emphasize that, i don't have to close my eyes, nor try to imagine or anything. It just hit me, i'm there! As if i can reach out and touch them.

In fact, i felt it was even better than hyperion's (with all due respect to hyperion) as joe3rp's setup is more forgiving in the sense that i can "move around" and not loose the soundstage and imaging.

The equipment at that time includes his Coincident Triumph Signature bookshelf speakers, his modded TS Audio 300B integrated, his passive pre (what was it again joe3rp?) and the CD player is Ah! Njoe Toeb.

joey, i drool in envy as i left for home, as doubt i can ever have that kind of experience in my room. that's the reason why i made a wrong turn to pasay instead, not your theory that... :twisted:

thank you very much for letting me be part of that experience. congratulations for a job very well done.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby rtsyrtsy » Sat May 10, 2003 9:15 pm

Just to add...as we all know, Joey cares a lot about soundstaging and imaging far more so than tonality, PRAT, etc. In fact, to this day, he continues to ask me to tell him what "mabagal" means.

But I concurr w/ ArnoldC, as far as soundstage/image go, joe3rp learned and applied very well the Audio Physic method likewise favored by Hyperion and if it's worth anything, myself. :D
rtsyrtsy

Postby billfort » Sun May 11, 2003 12:07 am

The great imaging and smooooth, sweet midrange are what I remember as the major strong-point of Coincident Triumph Sig/300B SET pairing I used a few years back. Very nice speakers - especially with a 300B amp in a smallish room. I really found vinyl and SACD brought them to a new level though - especially in the areas of image space, air and subtlety.

Billfort
billfort
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Hyperion » Sun May 11, 2003 1:21 am

In fact, i felt it was even better than hyperion's (with all due respect to hyperion) as joe3rp's setup is more forgiving in the sense that i can "move around" and not loose the soundstage and imaging.

Just wait till I hook up my secret SET project into my system too hehehe. :twisted:

Seriously, that's good! As they say, the student should always surpass the teacher di ba? The AP nearfield setup method is either unwelcomed or unliked or unexplored by most audiophiles and I am glad I was able to impress Joey with my humble setup just enough for him to follow suit and achieve even better results. :D

Ako naman siguro magpapaturo kay Joey, although soundstaging and imaging is not my priority - in fact I don't want to hear a static pinpoint sonic image, I like to be able to visualize the sound expanding and moving towards me. In a way I want to visualize the music in such a way that is actually detached from the musicians and their instruments while remaining passably "audiophile". :D
Hyperion

Postby joe3rp » Sun May 11, 2003 9:34 am

Just wait till I hook up my secret SET project into my system too hehehe.

ANO BA YAN! Wala bang sneak preview?

the student should always surpass the teacher di ba? The AP nearfield setup method is either unwelcomed or unliked or unexplored by most audiophiles and I am glad I was able to impress Joey with my humble setup just enough for him to follow suit and achieve even better results.

First of all...mas malapit na ako sa set-up ni Darth Hansen...but definitely not surpassed!!!!!!!!!!! Hindi man tapat.

But Darth Hansen's Set-up...
HUMBLE SET-UP
!!!!...si Hansen HUMBLE...pero si Conrad,Franco,Micheal at definitley si KONDO...hindi Humble!

Ako naman siguro magpapaturo kay Joey

When we talk and discuss, I hope you learn something the way I learn a lot from you (and most of the Wiredstate people)...but I know I still have a lot to learn from Darth Hansen, you can ask Russ, everytime I come from your house...I come back with at least 3 new tweeks or info. that I myself try in my set-up, it always results in awesome good results...and most of it is free...or a cheap mod.

Cheap

EXCEPT THOSE F*$$$$@@@NG KONDO CABLES THAT IS REALLY BETTER THAN ANY NOS TUBE ROLL OR DARE SAY EQUIPMENT UPGRADE!

So when can we drop by for a sneak preview of that secret "SET" project!
joe3rp
Fanatic
Fanatic

SET and sonus faber

Postby XLR_silver » Mon May 12, 2003 5:51 am

Hyperion wrote:

Just wait till I hook up my secret SET project into my system too hehehe. :twisted:

wala bang hints sir hyperion? e.g.do you plan to drive sonus faber speakers with your SET amp?
XLR_silver
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rtsyrtsy » Mon May 12, 2003 10:32 am

joe3rp wrote:ANO BA YAN! Wala bang sneak preview?

I'm waiting in anticipation. Sagot ko BBQ at pichi-pichi when it's ready!

joe3rp wrote:First of all...mas malapit na ako sa set-up ni Darth Hansen...but definitely not surpassed!!!!!!!!!!! Hindi man tapat.

Tsk, tsk, modest, modest. :D

joe3rp wrote:EXCEPT THOSE F*$$$$@@@NG KONDO CABLES THAT IS REALLY BETTER THAN ANY NOS TUBE ROLL OR DARE SAY EQUIPMENT UPGRADE!

Joe3rp's system also benefit from Audio Note cabling. UK nga lang and AN-V interconnects and the copper speaker cables. I've tried both in my system. Let's just say I'm saving up for them Audio Note cables now...starting w/ an AN-Vx for my digital interconnects.

Audionote2003, I hold you directly responsible for the current state of my savings account...or the lack of it.
rtsyrtsy

Postby Racio » Tue May 13, 2003 1:24 am

Oh man, can't help but feel the LOOOVE in this thread. 8)

Well done Joey! :wink:
Racio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to General Audio