Audio Catalogs & Morita's Memorabilia

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Re: Audio Catalogs & Memorabilia

Postby jadis » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:02 am

audiostar wrote:I can sum up your discourse into a single word: transfiguration :-)

:rock:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JAA » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:27 pm

jadis wrote:
JAA wrote:Hi Philip,

Test records are primarily tools made from vinyl format. It's cheaper, less tedious, and more practical than going into electronic measuring gadgets. No matter how accurate the display from these devise are, our ears would still have the final say. :)

I'm glad to hear that you feel that way too, John. And just to add, also, no matter how perfectly, or synergistically our component chain is matched, if the weak link is a less than optimum tracking cartridge, the distortion is going to travel all the way down to the loudspeakers and worse, into our ears.

I agree Philip! Source signal should always come out correct :)
audiostar wrote:I can sum up your discourse into a single word: transfiguration :-)

:rock: :rock: :rock:
JAA
Citizen
Citizen

Aluminum Accessories

Postby jadis » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:31 pm

While doing some general cleaning in the listening room, I found a box that contained something that truly brought back memories during my first few years of the hobby.

My first D.I.Y. record clamp:

Being involved in those times with aluminum, I asked my lathe operator to machine this LP clamp from a solid chunk of aluminum billet and designed it to have a locking screw (also made from aluminum) to secure the hold on the spindle. It was made for my Ariston RD110 Superior table which did not have a screw down clamp. The Audio Technica clamp was to heavy it would lower the suspension of the table on which the platter also rested. Those were the good old days when making audio curios were just a few steps away behind my office.

And below, discovered from the 'pandora box', a trio of 'tiptoes' that I designed with round 'tips' to prevent accidental or even intentional 'penetration' of the floor, among other things. :lol:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby mullard88 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:44 pm

Hi Jadis,

I recall you also made a lot of tip toes for me. Do you still have your lathe machines?
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:35 pm

mullard88 wrote:Hi Jadis,

I recall you also made a lot of tip toes for me. Do you still have your lathe machines?

Hi Mullard,

I sold my lathe and milling machines a few years ago as they were idle. Yes, I recall that you had some custom made 'huge' tiptoes for your very heavy amps made by my guys in the factory.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Shun Mook

Postby jadis » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:12 pm

SHUN MOOK MPINGO DISC

No, these are not hockey puck memorabilia from the last Stanley Cup win by the Boston Bruins. :lol: They are my one and only 'snake oil' audio tweak which I got sometime in the 90s when a dealer visited the HK Hi Fi show and brought some of these here for sale. These small things were not cheap. And it would normally raise eyebrows (and blood pressure) when the cash is sucked out from your pockets.

From their own website, the Shun Mook people describe what this disc is supposed to do:

"The Mpingo Disc is invented by the Shun Mook team. It is made from a combination of Gaboon and Mpingo Ebony, treated with a proprietary process that gives the disc a unique property to regulate the resonance of any sonic component and its transmission. Yet this is a very simple item to use. Just place one to three disc on top of your preamp, CD transport, DA converter, turntable etc, and listen for the wonderful change in your Hi fi system. When this disc is excited by any external acoustic energy, it will resonate throughout the entire audible spectrum, thus overriding unwanted harmonic distortions and at the same enriching the musical reproduction."

The Chinese characters literally means 'Spirit' and 'Wood'. Or magical wood. When I was starting out in audio and a friend would lend me some tweak products to try, I ask him if he heard any improvements in his own system and he would say: 'Basta lagyan mo lang yan at isipin mo na gumanda na ang tunog mo.' :D Audio, after all, is a crazy hobby, and such pronouncements can't be all that wrong, I thought. Little did I know later on that some crazy 'snake oil' tweak products do actually make an improvement in sound. Or in another case, a difference with or without it. Worst case scenario is if it sounds worse than before, then just don't use it and make it an audio memorabilia. :lol:

In my case, this piece of audio memorabilia actually makes my sound better. It's hard to believe at first but upon putting it on and off audio equipments in my room, I do hear changes in the sound. And fortunately for me, it is for the better. As in below, if I place it beside the tonearm base of my ET2 and on top of the arm board, the vocals sound rounder and mellower. Removing it makes the vocals harsh and thinner by comparison. For experimentation purposes, I placed one each on the left and right feet of the Maggies and on instrumental cuts, the overall clarity and bass punch is improved. It's subtle, but noticeable.

Below, the other side of the puck, showing a smaller round 'implant' on the main puck. This probably is the second kind of wood inserted into the main wood material to regulate the resonance of a component, as the makers state. I'm sure the guys did their homework in making and testing these products. After all these years, they are still very much alive and producing various forms of 'resonators'. Call it 'snake oil', but, AFAIK, it works. (The words 'basta isipin mo na lang na gumanda ang tunog mo' has stopped ringing in my head). :lol:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby polaris » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:57 am

i remember this mpingo very fondly jadis. i had too many competing priorities when it came out, so didn't have the chance to investigate. i remember ka-batch nito yung mga cd pens to run around your cds supposedly to improve sound.
polaris
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:16 am

polaris wrote:i remember this mpingo very fondly jadis. i had too many competing priorities when it came out, so didn't have the chance to investigate. i remember ka-batch nito yung mga cd pens to run around your cds supposedly to improve sound.

Yes, Polaris. I remember, and in fact, USED the CD pens. Green, water based markers for CD edges. It literally takes out the 'edge' in CD sound, if you ask me. Almost all of my CD have this green paint around them. Yet another 'snake oil' type of tweak was the Combak Tuning Dots. A few friends of mine swear by it. I found the cost at that time too much. They're like 25 centavo coins that you stick in your loudspeakers or components to make it more musical, as they claim.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby mullard88 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:51 am

Hi Jadis,

Are the dots that Coltrane stuck on his Sonus Faber Stradivarius combak tuning dots?
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:58 am

mullard88 wrote:Hi Jadis,

Are the dots that Coltrane stuck on his Sonus Faber Stradivarius combak tuning dots?

That's correct, Mullard. Even when he sold it, those dots went to the new owner as the adhesive is so tight it was hard to remove without damaging the wood of the speakers.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: Audio Catalogs, Accessories & Memorabilia

Postby jadis » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:42 am

ACRYLIC 'FEET'

Long time ago I heard good things about acrylic when used for audio purposes. In fact, the evidence is all over, in the form of the acrylic turntable. Many brands utilize this material for its inherent 'non ringing' properties. Realizing this, I bought a few feet of 2" acrylic rod from Gan's in Binondo and had my guy in the shop cut it to small pieces of 2" high cylinders. I actually made 16 pieces then, 4 each of my Jadis JA200 4-piece mono blocks. Only 1 set of the remains today and it's used on my ARC power amp. For the longest time I had been curious of the sonic effects ofthe acrylic feet as I never had done an A/B test in my Jadis amps. It was too much hassle then, I thought, as I needed another guy to lift each block 4 times to put and remove the feet for a total of 8 'lifts'. I would have to pay the man a daily wage. :lol:

But now I have only 1 chassis and I have a teen son who is eager to build up some muscles, or so he says. :lol: So I snatched the perfect opportunity by telling him lifting my amp up while I put on and off the feet could help him develop some muscular activities in his arms in the here and now. He just had to believe it. :lol: At any rate, the experiment went on and I was quite astounded by the sonic difference the acrylic feet provided. There is no need to split hairs and nitpick here. The difference is HUGE. The sound without the feet is a total wreck, inasmuch as I'm describing my own sound, I would call my sound without the feet 'tunog lata', with all due respect to myself. :D That is, when compared to having the feet under the amp - the music is just so right and in an instant, by removing them, the sound becomes very reed thin, and the entire soundstage collapsed. Had I not used the acrylic feet, I would have thought my amp is not well matched to my pre amp, or that my cables did not match my amp, etc. until I actually get rid of one of more components thinking that it's the culprit. My purpose was to simplify my set-up by clearing up the cobwebs and unwanted tweaks and I actually planned to sell those feet had there been no sonic improvement in my system. (The 3 other sets were sold long time ago as quick as 12 o'clock, in the vernacular). :lol: But as it turned out, the benefits are real and definitely desirable, at least in my system. I had been wondering how those after-market massive platforms and vibration-controlling balls would affect the sound of audio systems before. Now I have an idea that these things do have an effect after all. The question becomes if one will like it or not, and of course, if these accessories fit the budget. These acrylic feet are good value for the money. And hearing is believing.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: Aluminum Accessories

Postby m_shoe_maker » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:24 pm

jadis wrote:

These things look so darn horny! :devil: Reminds me of Aphrodite A. :D

m_shoe_maker
Idol

Re: Aluminum Accessories

Postby jadis » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:44 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:
jadis wrote:

These things look so darn horny! :devil: Reminds me of Aphrodite A. :D

haha. you have a very 'fertile' imagination, herr doktor. :lol:

but the round points are supposed to be pointing 'down' and not 'in your face'. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: Shun Mook

Postby Jon Agner » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:04 pm

jadis wrote:SHUN MOOK MPINGO DISC

As I recall, we were discussing this puck years ago, and that time, we still couldn't understand how it worked :?: :?: :?: :?:

... now try using this as a record clamp and hear what happens ;)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby spare_2_win » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:08 pm

Jon Agner wrote:

As I recall, we were discussing this puck years ago, and that time, we still couldn't understand how it worked :?: :?: :?: :?:

sir how much does a piece of this cost before?
spare_2_win
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Jon Agner » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:21 pm

Caloy,

bibili ka?
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby spare_2_win » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:35 pm

Jon Agner wrote:Caloy,

bibili ka?

Im interested to place it beside the tonearm and hear what happens. Baka mura lang eh. :D
spare_2_win
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Jon Agner » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:50 pm

spare_2_win wrote:
Jon Agner wrote:Caloy,

bibili ka?

Im interested to place it beside the tonearm and hear what happens. Baka mura lang eh. :D

ngek, remind me to make you one ;)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:54 am

spare_2_win wrote:
Jon Agner wrote:

sir how much does a piece of this cost before?

Loy,

I recall in the mid 90s it was p2000 each. It was not cheap but since we had an audio buddy code named 'Critic Number 2' swear by it and actually bought it after doing an A/B test; I, among others, decided to get 2 pcs. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:58 am

Jon Agner wrote:

Yes Jon. Below, I'll post the original 'catalog' from them on their principles. And they actually do have a record clamp. And if I remember correctly the price can weaken the legs. :lol: I do believe it will make a difference after testing their resonators.
jadis
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner