OPM has to thank Tita Cory

Moderator: JackD201

OPM has to thank Tita Cory

Postby detubo » Mon May 23, 2011 10:39 am

a few month back rvc and i debated about which president contributed the most to popularize OPM. i agreed w/ rvc when he said that it was then president Marcos because it was he who put in place the law requiring radio stations to play OPM tunes every hour. So when i debated with APO's Jim Paredes he immediately corrected me stating that it was tita cory who promulgated it into law. ako naman, the dimwit, ask him "how sure are you since i got this info from a reliable music industry practitioner?". he told me that he was consulted by tita cory on it before it was passed into law. hehehe. thank you Mr. Horse. here the link sent by my buddy at the supreme court on EO 255;

http://www.gov.ph/1987/07/25/executive- ... y-25-1987/

according to Mr. Paredes we have also Pres. Marcos to thank too because he created the Metro Pop Festival which also helped the industry.

Mr. Paredes also teaches Philippine Music History at the Ateneo. When i ask him if he could give a talk at this years hifi show he said "Sure!" what you think guys?

rvc -1 |(
detubo
Master
Master

Re: OPM has to thank Tita Cory

Postby TheAnalogSource » Mon May 23, 2011 10:49 am

pwede magpa-sign ng album after the talk? :)
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby detubo » Mon May 23, 2011 10:53 am

TAS wrote:pwede magpa-sign ng album after the talk? :)

i'm sure it won't be a problem. ang bait niya. dapat si buboy and danny din kasama para completo
detubo
Master
Master

Postby detubo » Mon May 23, 2011 10:59 am

he also had some interesting inputs on why local LPs then sounded so good.
detubo
Master
Master

Postby Jon Agner » Mon May 23, 2011 11:10 am

nice :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby hypertriode » Mon May 23, 2011 11:34 am

Mods, please transfer this thread to "November Hi-Fi Show"! :-)

Way to go detubo! I think this coming Hi-Fi Show would better the past ones! :clap:

detubo wrote:When i ask him if he could give a talk at this years hifi show he said "Sure!" what you think guys?
hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby bb3 » Mon May 23, 2011 11:01 pm

detubo wrote:a few month back rvc and i debated about which president contributed the most to popularize OPM. i agreed w/ rvc when he said that it was then president Marcos because it was he who put in place the law requiring radio stations to play OPM tunes every hour. So when i debated with APO's Jim Paredes he immediately corrected me stating that it was tita cory who promulgated it into law. ako naman, the dimwit, ask him "how sure are you since i got this info from a reliable music industry practitioner?". he told me that he was consulted by tita cory on it before it was passed into law. hehehe. thank you Mr. Horse. here the link sent by my buddy at the supreme court on EO 255;

Hmmmmm . . . a debate between 2 Greens ..
finally gets settled by a single Blue . . .

. . . so what else is new? :)

sorry guys, couldn't help it. :D
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby detubo » Mon May 23, 2011 11:10 pm

bb3 wrote:

when you have 2 highly evolved species who can't agree with one another you need a being of lesser intellect to break the tie. :rofl:

couldn't help myself
detubo
Master
Master

Postby rvc » Mon May 23, 2011 11:27 pm

OPM, or Original Pilipino Music, appeared in the Presidential proclamation of then President Marcos around 1973 after the onset of Martial Law. Basically written by the late media practitioner Teodoro "Ka Doroy Valencia", OPM referred to current Pilipino pop recordings. As you may have not known, during the Seventies, it was kinda taboo to play Pilipino music in pop radio, whether AM or FM. It took this proclamation to REQUIRE radio stations to play 3 OPM songs per hour.

the question was about who contributed the most. not who first signed it into an actual law. it may not have been a law per se, but i remember that presidential decrees and proclamations were like laws then. i still believe that because of this, and the metropop phenomenon of the time, marcos started it. with all due respect to tita cory of course.

green +1 :devil:
rvc
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sumnerbrowne » Mon May 23, 2011 11:50 pm

Looking forward to Jim Paredes' talk in the next Hi-Fi show. He has a new solo album out entitled LARO. He wrote about it in yesterday's Phil Star issue.

By the way, how is Julius Babao doing as a P1 user? Heard he got one from Rene. Has he immersed himself in this hobby? Could he also give a talk during the Hi-Fi show?

Thanks.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby bb3 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:05 pm

detubo wrote:
bb3 wrote:

when you have 2 highly evolved species who can't agree with one another you need a being of lesser intellect to break the tie. :rofl:

couldn't help myself

rvc wrote:OPM, or Original Pilipino Music, appeared in the Presidential proclamation of then President Marcos around 1973 after the onset of Martial Law. Basically written by the late media practitioner Teodoro "Ka Doroy Valencia", OPM referred to current Pilipino pop recordings. As you may have not known, during the Seventies, it was kinda taboo to play Pilipino music in pop radio, whether AM or FM. It took this proclamation to REQUIRE radio stations to play 3 OPM songs per hour.

the question was about who contributed the most. not who first signed it into an actual law. it may not have been a law per se, but i remember that presidential decrees and proclamations were like laws then. i still believe that because of this, and the metropop phenomenon of the time, marcos started it. with all due respect to tita cory of course.

green +1 :devil:

Deja vu of a past hifi show when these two guys had the mike. . . :)

I will have to agree with with my green buddy on this one. Talk was that then press sec Cendana had a team to monitor that this 3 OPM song rule was followed by the stations.

Ah!, I get the equation now:
1 dumb Blue = 2 smart Greens :D
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby kabubi » Wed May 25, 2011 12:49 am

Tonyman,

baka maningil ng honorarium si Jim P. siguraduhin mo muna.
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby Fourplay » Wed May 25, 2011 7:46 am

bb3 wrote:Ah!, I get the equation now:
1 dumb Blue = 2 smart Greens :D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Fourplay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to Technical Archives