"HAIL TO THE EMPEROR!!!" - The VS VR-111 XS

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Re: "HAIL TO THE EMPEROR" - The VS VR-11's

Postby jadis » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:15 pm

POWER PLAY :lol:

The Emperor takes 'power issues' seriously, and outside the music palace is this array of 50KVA of 'Isolation w autoswitch stability protection and voltage regulation', according to our Comrade JD.

Don't look at me, all I recognize is the circuit breaker that is left opened, but then again, being a non-electrician, I may be wrong. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:26 pm

The Raison d' etre of having an 'ARMS RACE': :lol:

Many people, including me, will wonder why there is a need to have so many tonearms and cartridges in an audio system such as this. Well, I've seen people with 2 turntables each with a different tonearm, and 1 turntable with 2 tonearms, but this is the first time for me to see 2 high quality German-made turntables with 6 tonearms and 6 cartridges mounted on them, ready to pounce on any given vinyl. Why?

Here's why. In my past conversations with the Emperor, when he had only 1 TT and about 2 to 3 arms and carts, he was telling me that first off, a type of cart needs to be matched with a certain type of tonearm - like the mass/compliance thingy. Agreed. Secondly, one wants to have several flavors given that most carts have its own 'house sound'. Agreed. And thirdly, there are recordings that will sound poorly on one cart but glorious on another cart/arm combination. When I heard this, I felt that it was such a brilliant idea. So, if the Deccas don't sound good on one combi, then another combi, with its own synergistic trademark, might be able to adapt to such characteristics. It is a 'mix and match' kind of thing, somewhat akin to what some audio hobbyists do in having many pre-amps, amps, and speakers; they rotate the gears to match a particular system. But in this case, the last raison, it is about matching a specific recording label to a cart/arm combination. Voila! One again, you have the cakes, eat them, and give the rest to your kids, to boot. :D

While this is already complex to some, and me, things gets even more puzzling with the Emperor's phono stages, repeat, stages with an S. There are at least 4 brands in my recollection, each with multiple inputs either in MM or MC format. And there are a few step-up trannys as well. AND, there are 2 or 3 line stages as well, hooked on to the different phono stages to feed the 6-headed analog spinners, as Comrade JD once said, it's '2 short of being an octopus'. :D What marvels me, is that the Emperor knows where each cart's phono stage and line stage is, by clicking a knob and shifting to one or the other line stage, he instantly can play a record on any of the 6 carts, without plugging or unplugging any cables. As they say, it is 'automatic'. :lol: :o I say this as an analog mortal who in his life was always a one cart/one arm/one table man. The show is utterly amazing, when he starts to man the helm. Below, is a view of his 'audio launchpad', the 'nerve center', if you will; in full battle formation, looking like a 'flotilla of audio gears' ready to charge.

My wife, upon seeing the above pic, asked me what are those pair of round things floating above the racks. I said those are 'lights from the future', in aid of manipulation of the analog rigs. :D Deep inside I was saying: "*%$%^&*$(!#x!)!@)!!! Ang ganda!!!!". :D :D :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby ttommy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:18 am

Stellar reporting, jadis! Not too long ago, Robert Harley in his blog wrote a feature about The World's #1 Audiophile. Reading the blog made me think, however, that the title of that article should read-- World's #1 Audiophile Collector.

Granted such labels as "best" are oftentimes debatable, perhaps no one might argue that, indeed, the Emperor's system is the best Von Schweikert system on the planet. But, for me, seeing the care and planning that went into the Emperor's system, I'd venture so far to say that this system is in the running for the Best Audiophile System in the planet. :clap:

Long Live the Emperor! All Hail!
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mullard88 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:37 am

The purpose built structure, the care given to the electric power source, and the design of the air conditioning will make ANY equipment sound fantastic. The completeness of the planning taken in setting up this system is something I have never seen nor heard of before. There are many lessons to be learned from this post. Thank you Emperor for sharing and thank you Jadis for posting.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:08 am

ttommy wrote: But, for me, seeing the care and planning that went into the Emperor's system, I'd venture so far to say that this system is in the running for the Best Audiophile System in the planet. :clap:

I agree with you completely, Tito.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:08 am

mullard88 wrote:The purpose built structure, the care given to the electric power source, and the design of the air conditioning will make ANY equipment sound fantastic. The completeness of the planning taken in setting up this system is something I have never seen nor heard of before. There are many lessons to be learned from this post. Thank you Emperor for sharing and thank you Jadis for posting.

My pleasure, Mullard88. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby O.D. Yeo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:18 am

jadis wrote:
ttommy wrote: But, for me, seeing the care and planning that went into the Emperor's system . . . :clap:

Do you have any photos taken from the rear, showing the guts and harness-like cabling needed for this wild setup?
I think this is where we might see the O/C "care and planning" that this system must have required.
O.D. Yeo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby joe3rp » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:14 pm

jadis wrote:PRESENTING...THE VIEW OF 'THE ROOM':Image

Philip,
Do you have a picture of this view with a person to show the size/scale of room, amps and speakers?
Thanks for Sharing
joe3rp
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:00 pm

O.D. Yeo wrote:
jadis wrote:
ttommy wrote: But, for me, seeing the care and planning that went into the Emperor's system . . . :clap:

Do you have any photos taken from the rear, showing the guts and harness-like cabling needed for this wild setup?
I think this is where we might see the O/C "care and planning" that this system must have required.

Billy,

Here you go. I was afraid to take a hard look at all the anaconda-like things on the floor. Something might MOVE. :o You know what I mean... :lol:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:22 pm

joe3rp wrote:
jadis wrote:PRESENTING...THE VIEW OF 'THE ROOM':Image

Philip,
Do you have a picture of this view with a person to show the size/scale of room, amps and speakers?
Thanks for Sharing

Joey,

Unfortunately no. But, see that pink line near the left speaker? In my estimation, that is where my height would correspond to. I'm 5'10", and the speaker is 7'6". The reason I did not think of taking a pic of myself beside it is because I wouldn't like to be a Nate Robinson standing beside Yao Ming. That would really make me feel like 2 cents. :D :D :D

jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: "HAIL TO THE EMPEROR!!!" - The VS VR-11SE

Postby jadis » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:44 pm

'THE WEAPONS STOCKPILE' :lol:

Inasmuch as we had seen an 'arms race', the next best thing to document is the 'nuclear weapons stockpile'. And we're talking pure grade 'uranium' here, tons of them stored safely and delicately in this hatch, or depot, if you will.

This L-shaped record rack (a less scary word than hatch :D and only 1 of the 2 is shown here) occupying the 2 corners at the end of the music palace is home to multiple copies of rare, original pressings from Columbia/SAX, EMI, Decca, RCA, Mercury, and various other collectible LPs that would make a commando raid very tempting. :D But I imagine a 24/7 CC cam ( or even ancient booby traps ) :D might be around somewhere to ward off potential raiders. :lol: The Emperor has filled up only 1/4 of this space as I learned 75% is locked up in a very very secure place where your name has to be in the 'security's list' before one can enter. :D :D And yes, on the right is a metal ladder for those LPs that are stacked up in the 14th feet zone. As I said, everything is so well planned and designed. :clap:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:50 pm

WHAT ARE THESE?

I was asking myself this question. :lol: In those days, sikat ang mga split-type aircon. Maingay ang mga window/box type aircons. Notorious for robbing you of inner detail from your sound system, these box types, particularly the old Fedders and Carriers can make enough noise to fool you that you have a small subwoofer hanging up there on your wall. :D So what did the Emperor specify? AHU. I should say HUH? AHU stands for Air Handling Unit, the modern day 'industrial' air conditioner. I think the big MALLS use them. :D :D No wonder despite wearing a casual jacket, I was starting get some 'sniffles' after a while inside the music palace. :lol: Gives a new meaning to the term 'chill out'. I'd say 'freeze in' is more apt. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby rtsyrtsy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:25 pm

jadis wrote:'THE WEAPONS STOCKPILE' :lol:

To me, the highlight of this photo is that there is a lot of room for more!
rtsyrtsy

Postby jadis » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:35 am

rtsyrtsy wrote:
jadis wrote:'THE WEAPONS STOCKPILE' :lol:

To me, the highlight of this photo is that there is a lot of room for more!

That's true, Russ, that's true.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JoeyGS » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:28 am

That's nice. But I think that what's important with this set-up is that the air-conditioned air is transmitted into the room via air ducts in order to contain the noise coming from the air-conditioning units. Also, the advantage of using air handling units is that it is located in a separate room, and, with bigger fans the speed need not be so fast as to create unwanted noise plus the required volume of cold air needed is delivered into the room. I guess (please correct me if i am wrong) air ducts were used and the air ducts were likewise insulated with fiberglass insulation or other similar materials.

jadis wrote:WHAT ARE THESE?

I was asking myself this question. :lol: In those days, sikat ang mga split-type aircon. Maingay ang mga window/box type aircons. Notorious for robbing you of inner detail from your sound system, these box types, particularly the old Fedders and Carriers can make enough noise to fool you that you have a small subwoofer hanging up there on your wall. :D So what did the Emperor specify? AHU. I should say HUH? AHU stands for Air Handling Unit, the modern day 'industrial' air conditioner. I think the big MALLS use them. :D :D No wonder despite wearing a casual jacket, I was starting get some 'sniffles' after a while inside the music palace. :lol: Gives a new meaning to the term 'chill out'. I'd say 'freeze in' is more apt. :lol:
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:35 am

How can I not agree Indiana when, to borrow a phrase from Mullard88, my system sounds broken after I come from Emperor's. :@ :D

At roughly the same SPL my system sounds like it's high revving while his sounds like it's cruising. The most difficult thing for a guy to admit is.......SIZE MATTERS pala :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jadis » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:18 am

JoeyGS wrote:That's nice. But I think that what's important with this set-up is that the air-conditioned air is transmitted into the room via air ducts in order to contain the noise coming from the air-conditioning units. Also, the advantage of using air handling units is that it is located in a separate room, and, with bigger fans the speed need not be so fast as to create unwanted noise plus the required volume of cold air needed is delivered into the room. I guess (please correct me if i am wrong) air ducts were used and the air ducts were likewise insulated with fiberglass insulation or other similar materials.

That's a good point, JoeyGS. What's the use of good room treatment if noise is just going to be fed back in. Thanks for your inputs re AHU's, I had to google it first. :$
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:24 am

JackD201 wrote: The most difficult thing for a guy to admit is.......SIZE MATTERS pala :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

MIZMO! Comrade. :D :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:26 am

Hahahahahaha!

Tomorrow I will post some background on zee Emperor himself so more can understand his motivation. :)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jadis » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:28 am

And on this bit of info supplied by Jack, "Room over 100 sq/m with 4m ceiling height custom designed and built by Tracks Acoustics. RT60 .40. Whisper quiet. We where playing around whispering to each other from 20 feet away.", I googled something out too. :lol:

http://www.trinitysoundcompany.com/rt60.html

It's never too late to learn anything. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner