Does an audio system need a subwoofer?

Val Villanueva's special audio forum

Moderator: audiostar

Re: Does an audio system need a subwoofer?

Postby Nelson de Leon » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:11 pm

Gino wrote:Your subwoofer enclosure looks good by the way (sent through pm). Are you using an external amp and crossover or do you have a plate amp for it?

I'm using pilyo amp for HT. But for stereo, i used my old trusty old school L.A. car amp. :) Haay. Gino, those were the KAC days. It has built in xover naman. here are the pics:

Image Image

Enclosure was designed by master Stagea and created and finished by trod93 aka Tony Falcon este Rodriguez.

peace Tony! :D
Nelson de Leon
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Nelson de Leon » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:16 pm

Gino wrote:Your subwoofer enclosure looks good by the way (sent through pm). Are you using an external amp and crossover or do you have a plate amp for it?

Tried it on Patricia Barbers fast tracks btw. just enough extension sa drums. Pero sa Grandma's hands, ang sarap ng lows.
Nelson de Leon
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Gino » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:32 pm

Sounds good. It's also good that you go around listening to various systems. Trains your ears. Empties your wallet ;) Nice job.
Gino
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Nelson de Leon » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:08 pm

Bakit alam mo agad na empty na. :D :D yep yep. Always going around whenever a have a chance. Been to AVDI last Sunday. Twas a short visit lang cuz i had to purchase something at S&S. And i reaaly plan to be back next week.
Nelson de Leon
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JAA » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:50 pm

Nelson de Leon wrote:

Enclosure was designed by master Stagea and created and finished by trod93 aka Tony Falcon este Rodriguez.

peace Tony! :D

Now I missed this same Kicker L7 Solobaric in my car. Its a workhorse among subs, ready to be abused! :devil:
JAA
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Stagea » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:14 am

Nelson de Leon wrote:Member din kasi ako ng chamba motors. :D Kiddin aside, thanks for designing my enclosure properly. ;)

Naku master wala akong alam diyan. Nagulat na lang ako at may mighty mouse SBS sa mansion mo. :P

Parinig naman nyang master hybrid hifi system mo master. Sana ay papasukin pa din kami ng mga PSG mo. :worried:
Stagea
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Nelson de Leon » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:33 pm

After integrating a sub into my system, here's my take.

The answer would definitely be YES if your current system cannot play certain low frequency range.
My current system cannot reproduce the 50hz & below freqs very audibly hence, the subwoofer did help reproduce those frequencies.
Nelson de Leon
Citizen
Citizen

Postby qguy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:00 am

Val, JAA,

just curious , whats the crossover point did you set the subwoofers ?

JAA wrote:It took us time and patience in order to integrate the pair of Rythmik servo woofer with Val's enormous Angelina horn speakers, but it is very much rewarding once you hit the right setting. You might be wandering why those 2 by 15" woofers per channel of Angelina still necessitates the need for Rythmik? Of course the 15 inchers can reach down to the 25 - 80Hz region..... We are talking of the quality of bass here. The servo system of Rythmik has a complete control on the servo driver in it. Sonically, no lag on its movements. Low frequency tone difference of 1 Hz, eg. 30 & 31 Hz, is discernible, and much more with the separation of strings from electric bass guitar. Its performs like an electrostatic speaker in a lower frequency region. I would describe it as "fast and accurate" :)
qguy
Master
Master

Postby abiedoodles » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:28 am

Yes, if you like the sound.
No, if you dont like it.
abiedoodles
Citizen
Citizen

Postby qguy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:51 am

Any updates here ?
qguy
Master
Master

Postby camotecue » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:30 am

Mine does not need one. My large cabinets with Altec 416 is sufficient enough. IME.

Like with the previous post, it depends if the owner wants it or not.
camotecue
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:14 pm

This is an old thread so I'm not sure if I actually posted already. Anyway, for me it depends mainly on two things. What I listen to and the room I'm listening to it in. Since I am addicted to both electronica and classical music which has a lot of deep bass content and I have a large treated room and listen at the outer edges of midfield, I like my system with subs. So much so that the speakers I ultimately chose have their subs built in and powered.

Some things to think about as to why deep bass can be important. I think I fall in the same corner as most people that would prefer no bass to lousy bass. But what about great bass? :) Psycho-acoustically deep bass carries venue size information in the form of long LF decays. If one of your goals is to "be there" as opposed to the easier "artists are in your room with you", having it makes the suspension of disbelief much easier to prolong and maintain because getting linearly to the 20s helps a lot in setting up a spatial context.

Given proper drivers, low bass needs either a huge box and little power or a small box and lots of power. For those that can't have huge boxes, subs just might be the only solution. It's also important to note that big boxes and big drivers don't automatically give you bass in the 20's +/- 0dB, that has to be designed in. For example professional subwoofers used in theaters and concerts are designed to give massive output power only into the 30s. The large venues themselves create the very low bass via reverberation. At home you're not after raw SPL but rather (hopefully linear) tactile extension. In a small space you have to create the deep bass. Your room won't make it happen for you.

As with all things subjective, preference rules. It could be important to you or not. It is for me. :)
JackD201
Immortal

Previous

Return to audiostar's corner