Does an audio system need a subwoofer?

Val Villanueva's special audio forum

Moderator: audiostar

Re: Does an audio system need a subwoofer?

Postby Nelson de Leon » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:49 am

Stagea wrote:
Nelson de Leon wrote:@ Stagea:

Reviews naman on your new dual sub system. ;)

Lokoloko ka Master Nelson. I just wanted discrete left and right LF output kaya dalawa, just in case there are tracks out there with this capability. Saka may localization ng konti pag isa dahil downfiring yung ports ng subs ko, magvavibrate kasi yung hardwood flooring.

I spent about an hour yesterday tweaking the gain control and LPF. It ALMOST sounds right now, but the LPF doesn't seem to go low enough (I wish I can run a HPF on my mains LOL). I got things integrated relatively well though. I think I need to lower the gain a notch more, as the room modes are getting excited.

I think you have an empty space under your 2 beds. It might be another culprit.
Nelson de Leon
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Stagea » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:44 am

Nelson de Leon wrote:
Stagea wrote:
Nelson de Leon wrote:@ Stagea:
I think you have an empty space under your 2 beds. It might be another culprit.

Yup, that's also a problem hehehe. It sounds OK now. I can live with it. :)
Stagea
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:35 pm

Is this a REALLY a subwoofer?

Looks more like an industrial fan to me. :lol:

BUT, Bruce Thigpen of Eminent Technology, the maker of my linear air bearing tonearm, thinks otherwise, he calls it 'TRW-17', or "The Worlds first True Subwoofer". :o :o :o

Whaaaaaaaaat???????

On this site http://www.rotarywoofer.com/
it becomes clearer. But not that clear to me. :lol:

I mean how does this thing hook up to an audio system? I wouldn't have believed it can till I read that somebody actually heard it in a SF Bay Area show. And the sound was staggering. Very interesting. 8)

There was an old post of this 4 years ago by a WS member:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10022&p=108963&hilit=eminent+technology+subwoofer#p108963

Well, one thing is sure, if you don't like it, at least you can use it to cool your amp that has 30 KT88s per side. :D :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Gino » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:39 pm

My dogs not to mention my legs will be obliterated by that sub. Good thing it will be mounted on a wall or attic. I guess it works like my rc helicopters. It has a collective which varies pitch positive or negative. I can imagine the thrust. Those on our rcs are ridiculous.
Gino
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby conspicuous » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:58 pm

jadis wrote:Is this a REALLY a subwoofer?

well philip, loudspeakers are about moving air aren't they? :rofl: :D
conspicuous
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:18 pm

conspicuous wrote:

well philip, loudspeakers are about moving air aren't they? :rofl: :D

true, mael. they might even move the sea, if you hook it to HT and watch 'Master and Commander', the effect according to a 'witness' is having actual 'sea sickness' after the movie. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby trauma » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:21 am

"Over the years the generally accepted low frequency limit of hearing has been 20Hz, some suggesting 16Hz. However nothing existed to produce significant enough output to change this belief. This development will spawn new special effects and we will begin to understand the true low frequency limit of human hearing."

Any one care to respond to that article? It was the link provided for the rotary subwoofer that claims to produce audible frequencies below 5hz.
trauma
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Gino » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:34 am

It is no secret that we feel as well as hear sound. If you hypothetically remove the chest thump of club music by some sound insulating jacket, the experience will not be the same. It is possible that ultra low sound can be perceived and have an effect on us even we we technically can't hear it. Perhaps conversely, introducing ultra low sound recorded naturally may fill in some realism.
Gino
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Nelson de Leon » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:45 am

Gino wrote:My dogs not to mention my legs will be obliterated by that sub. Good thing it will be mounted on a wall or attic. I guess it works like my rc helicopters. It has a collective which varies pitch positive or negative. I can imagine the thrust. Those on our rcs are ridiculous.

No worries. Maganda daw ikabit sa attic so it's safe. ;) Price lang nya ang hindi safe sa pocket. :D

Specifications

Specifications: Amplifier Requirement: 150 watts @ 8 ohms Impedance: 8 ohms 0Hz - 40Hz Frequency Response: 1Hz – 30Hz +/- 4dB Suggested Crossover: 20Hz @ 18dB/octave Sensitivity 94dB 1 watt 1 meter @10Hz Maximum Acoustic Output: >115dB between 1 and 20Hz. Distortion: Typically 3% or less between 1 and 20Hz @90dB Warranty – 3 years parts and labor Patent Pending

Gino wrote:It is no secret that we feel as well as hear sound. If you hypothetically remove the chest thump of club music by some sound insulating jacket, the experience will not be the same. It is possible that ultra low sound can be perceived and have an effect on us even we we technically can't hear it. Perhaps conversely, introducing ultra low sound recorded naturally may fill in some realism.

New dimension na ito.
Nelson de Leon
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Does an audio system need a subwoofer?,

Postby conspicuous » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:00 am

Gino wrote:It is no secret that we feel as well as hear sound. If you hypothetically remove the chest thump of club music by some sound insulating jacket, the experience will not be the same. It is possible that ultra low sound can be perceived and have an effect on us even we we technically can't hear it. Perhaps conversely, introducing ultra low sound recorded naturally may fill in some realism.

The same can be said about high frequencies apparently. What dogs hear but we don't, we can feel through the bones. Therefore HF can affect the way we 'perceive' sound. So saving up for those ribbon tweeters might be worth it afterall :D
conspicuous
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby audiostar » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:44 am

DKD!!! (as in diyos ko day)!! looks like more of a small aircraft propeller to me :lol: :lol: :lol: Phil, mukhang talo yung rhythmik sub ni pat morita dito :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
audiostar

Location: audio nirvana st., speakers corner ave. music city, mars

Postby Superman » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:05 pm

Val, Jadis...mukhang OK yan...low freqs but with air...mas buhay siguro :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby jadis » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:46 pm

audiostar wrote:

DKD!!! (as in diyos ko day)!! looks like more of a small aircraft propeller to me :lol: :lol: :lol: Phil, mukhang talo yung rhythmik sub ni pat morita dito :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:D :D :D

val, i told pat about this thing that looks like an industrial fan made by ET, he thought it was a PUMP for my ET2 arm all along and he wanted me to order him this thing. i was at at loss why he'd want this for a sub, and he told me to find him a used ET2. i said teka teka, mukhang naguluhan na si pat. i told him, this fan motor is a subwoofer and not an air pump for the ET2 arm, and he said, AH, may RHYTHMIK na ako, di ko na kailangan yan. :D :D :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:04 pm

jadis wrote:
audiostar wrote:

val, i told pat about this thing that looks like an industrial fan made by ET, he thought it was a PUMP for my ET2 arm all along and he wanted me to order him this thing. i was at at loss why he'd want this for a sub, and he told me to find him a used ET2. i said teka teka, mukhang naguluhan na si pat. i told him, this fan motor is a subwoofer and not an air pump for the ET2 arm, and he said, AH, may RHYTHMIK na ako, di ko na kailangan yan. :D :D :D

Phil,

the more you should be getting this propeller woofer :D :D :D Imagine, you can already use this to pump air for your ET2 and at the same time get 1-20 Hz frequencies to vibrate inside your room..... that's hitting 2 birds with one stone :clap: :clap: :clap:
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:07 pm

Jon Agner wrote:
jadis wrote:

Phil,

the more you should be getting this propeller woofer :D :D :D Imagine, you can already use this to pump air for your ET2 and at the same time get 1-20 Hz frequencies to vibrate inside your room..... that's hitting 2 birds with one stone :clap: :clap: :clap:

haha. imagine too, that people with air pumps would want to kick it out to the farthest part or even outside the listening room, and here we are, we are BRINGING IT IN THE ROOM AND BESIDE YOUR CHAIR EVEN, to add more bass!!!! :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:17 pm

Phil,

yup, not to mention savings from the electricity bill, as you don't need to turn on the A/C just to cool down those hot tubes :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :D :D :D
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby kabubi » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:25 pm

question: if i place similar fan-like device in front of my woofers, will it improve the sound (of the woofers)?

thanx!
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:36 pm

kabubi wrote:question: if i place similar fan-like device in front of my woofers, will it improve the sound (of the woofers)?

thanx!

Bubs,

I don't think this is meant to be just placed in front. There seems to be RCA jacks on its side. What is baffling to me too is how this thing is hooked up to your pre-amp, amp, or crossover network. We need to email Bruce T. for this.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:14 pm

jadis wrote:
kabubi wrote:question: if i place similar fan-like device in front of my woofers, will it improve the sound (of the woofers)?

thanx!

Bubs,

I don't think this is meant to be just placed in front. There seems to be RCA jacks on its side. What is baffling to me too is how this thing is hooked up to your pre-amp, amp, or crossover network. We need to email Bruce T. for this.

If you check the site, you'll see that it's actually installed inside a cabinet. I would assume then that this is suited/designed for use with chambered baffles.

What I'm trying to understand with this design is it's propeller rotation and it's relationship with the flapping of the propeller. The flapping of the propeller, that I understood (it acts like a rudder, agitating the air passing thru it), but how this works on the with the rotation of the propeller still baffles me. :?: :?: :?:
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby Gino » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:25 pm

It's mechanics is just like an rc helicopter collective. It is a mechanical system that can change the angle of the blades. Just Google up how swash plates work with helis. The motor shaft spins in one direction. By collectively varying the angles of the blades, you can change the pitch. The pitch can either blow air in front,to the back, or no air at all (zero pitch). With the rapid ability to blow air in front and back, you now have the dynamics of a woofer. In rc helis we can fly upright and inverted thanks to this. I can tell you first hand that this device can produce serious blasts of air with rapid transition from positive to negative pitch.

The picture suggests the main body is the motor.In front of that is a magnetic actuator to vary pitch. I am assuming it's magnetic because of the torque involved. In front of that is rotor head with mechanicals to individually and collectively change blade pitch from negative to positive.
Gino
Fanatic
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to audiostar's corner