YOUR FAVORITE VINTAGE/CLASSIC MM CARTRIDGE

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

YOUR FAVORITE VINTAGE/CLASSIC MM CARTRIDGE

Postby hypertriode » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:23 am

So far i was bowled over by the wonderful sound of the Shure V-15 Type III on a Denon DP-6000 connected to a vintage Sony preamp's phono stage and all SET amplication/horn speaker system when we visited squirrelnutzipper's place. The sound was just very natural, liquid and smooth sounding; playing was Eva Cassidy's Songbird LP :inlove:
BTW, the stylus was just a generic replacement; an original (or one of the better replacement) stylus would be another story :P
I had kept two V15 III's and ordered styli for these (thanks SNZ!); they would be one of my "retirement" cartridges for sure! 8)
I'm sure many of you out there are using/rediscovering (some might even won't replace theirs with an MC) those magical MM carts. MC here regretted selling his Grace F9! :(
What's yours? :)
hypertriode
Grand Master

Re: YOUR FAVORITE VINTAGE/CLASSIC MM CARTRIDGE

Postby ordo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:26 am

Osawa OS 301 MM Cartridge :inlove: :inlove:
by Mr. Yasuo Osawa,formerly from Fidelity Research and now designer of Shelter Cartridge.
ordo
Citizen
Citizen

Postby hypertriode » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:44 am

ordo wrote:Osawa OS 301 MM Cartridge :inlove: :inlove:
by Mr. Yasuo Osawa,formerly from Fidelity Research and now designer of Shelter Cartridge.

A rara avis among MM carts Fr. Jim! I remember during my early spinning years, the OSAWA and Nagaoka were prestigious makers of replacement styli :)
hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby Squirrelnutzipper » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:56 am

hypertriode wrote:So far i was bowled over by the wonderful sound of the Shure V-15 Type III on a Denon DP-6000 connected to a vintage Sony preamp's phono stage and all SET amplication/horn speaker system when we visited squirrelnutzipper's place. The sound was just very natural, liquid and smooth sounding; playing was Eva Cassidy's Songbird LP :inlove:

Thanks for the observations, Rene. That Shure is one that I have had for almost 40 years. Yikes! It is very nice sounding for sure. That OS 301 is sure interesting. There are a lot of extremely interesting vintage MMs out there and one can play with them for not so much money. I am currently playing with the following: Ortofon OM20 FL and E, Azden YM-P50E, Andante P76 and a few others. There are some great Empires out there, too. It is far too soon to tell what is my favorite, but for sure, these old MMs are really very interesting and in some ways, might be more musically involving than MCs. Easier and cheaper to set up too, as no SUTs needed!
Squirrelnutzipper
Citizen
Citizen

Postby TheAnalogSource » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:13 am

had the v15 type 3 with the swiss made replacement stylus. with all its raves, i was a bit disappointed because i find it prominent on the high side for an MM. plus the fact that its a hell aligning it. Had the chance to get the type 2 and i like it better than the type 3 because i think its more balance albeit a lower cutoff on top.

mc's cart is not a GRACE F9 but rather a GRACE F8E which i now lock in a bolt. loveliest cart ive owned. and ive been playing it on special occasions only. Wish i could get an F9 Ruby but they get easily snapped at ebay. heard it AB with the F8...same tone and house sound.. but with more detail.

have an EMPIRE 999 and it sounds like its name....ROBUST AND POWERFUL and very nice bottom end.

for you in the market...please note that vintage cart is a hit or miss. even with a rated cart and NOS condition...I experience a lot with suspension problem lately....best to buy one that you hear playing.
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby hypertriode » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:30 pm

TAS wrote:had the v15 type 3 with the swiss made replacement stylus. with all its raves, i was a bit disappointed because i find it prominent on the high side for an MM. plus the fact that its a hell aligning it. Had the chance to get the type 2 and i like it better than the type 3 because i think its more balance albeit a lower cutoff on top.

mc's cart is not a GRACE F9 but rather a GRACE F8E which i now lock in a bolt. loveliest cart ive owned. and ive been playing it on special occasions only. Wish i could get an F9 Ruby but they get easily snapped at ebay. heard it AB with the F8...same tone and house sound.. but with more detail.

have an EMPIRE 999 and it sounds like its name....ROBUST AND POWERFUL and very nice bottom end.

for you in the market...please note that vintage cart is a hit or miss. even with a rated cart and NOS condition...I experience a lot with suspension problem lately....best to buy one that you hear playing.

I think it's system dependence too Noly; the V15 III i heard must have matched gloriously with SNZ's Sony TA-2000F (not to mention the FR-54 arm) :)

The Grace family of carts were one of the big boys' MM choice way back 70's/80's. It was one of my dream carts then (along with the AT-155LC, AT-15SS, Shure V15 IV, etc.). I had to make do with an AT-105 or AT-110 then :(

Got an Empire EXL-10 i am saving for my Troubadour! ;)
hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby corrsty » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:36 pm

Master Rene,

What's the sound of the AT15SS? I agree with everything that Noly said regarding the Grace :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
corrsty
Citizen
Citizen

Postby hypertriode » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:48 pm

corrsty wrote:Master Rene,

What's the sound of the AT15SS? I agree with everything that Noly said regarding the Grace :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Hi Edrich, close to MC-quality ang highs and detail nya. And the usual endearing "taba ng tunog" that draws us to MM sound. I have one but "dumapa" na yung cantilever nya (as what Noly warned) :(
hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby corrsty » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:53 pm

Thanks Master! Meron din ako pero hindi ko pa naririnig kaya medyo curious ako :D Available pa ata yung original stylus ng 15SS online. Parang around 140USD ata.
corrsty
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ordo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:55 pm

hypertriode wrote:
ordo wrote:Osawa OS 301 MM Cartridge :inlove: :inlove:

A rara avis among MM carts Fr. Jim! I remember during my early spinning years, the OSAWA and Nagaoka were prestigious makers of replacement styli :)

indeed... i even like the OS 301mm than the DL -103r mc.
to my ears, truly an extraordinary sounding MM. :)
ordo
Citizen
Citizen

Postby arnoldc » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:57 pm

Rene, would love to shootout my Empire 888 with the Shure V15 III ;) But it's not there no?
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby TheAnalogSource » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:02 pm

come to think of it...the new productiion shibata type ortofon 2m black is hovering already at 35k+... if you can grab that AT shibata tips at vintage price. GO! GO! GO! :)
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby hypertriode » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:16 pm

corrsty wrote:Thanks Master! Meron din ako pero hindi ko pa naririnig kaya medyo curious ako :D Available pa ata yung original stylus ng 15SS online. Parang around 140USD ata.

Pricey nga bro, but don't wonder why; they really are performers! I still keep my broken-styli AT's like the 150ML, 140ML, 155LC, etc. Pag nagka-windfall, i will buy styli for all of them :)
hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby hypertriode » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:20 pm

arnoldc wrote:Rene, would love to shootout my Empire 888 with the Shure V15 III ;) But it's not there no?

Gladly bro! Once i'm done with the first Lenco, i'm planning to install the V15 III. Soon, i hope ;)
hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby corrsty » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:28 pm

hypertriode wrote:
corrsty wrote:Thanks Master! Meron din ako pero hindi ko pa naririnig kaya medyo curious ako :D Available pa ata yung original stylus ng 15SS online. Parang around 140USD ata.

Pricey nga bro, but don't wonder why; they really are performers! I still keep my broken-styli AT's like the 150ML, 140ML, 155LC, etc. Pag nagka-windfall, i will buy styli for all of them :)

Basta ba parinig Master! hehehe

BTW, how can one test the suspension integrity of a vintage stylus without mounting them first?
corrsty
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Squirrelnutzipper » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:30 pm

hypertriode wrote:

I already have bought original AT Stylus for the 140 and 150!
Squirrelnutzipper
Citizen
Citizen

Postby hypertriode » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:36 pm

Squirrelnutzipper wrote:
hypertriode wrote:

I already have bought original AT Stylus for the 140 and 150!

Nothing's changed bro, they still have your name on them. And I still get to keep one of each ;)
hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby michael corleone » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:58 pm

TAS wrote:had the v15 type 3 with the swiss made replacement stylus. with all its raves, i was a bit disappointed because i find it prominent on the high side for an MM. plus the fact that its a hell aligning it. Had the chance to get the type 2 and i like it better than the type 3 because i think its more balance albeit a lower cutoff on top.

TAS, remember the Italian song RITORNA ME? That's my previously owned F8 :devil:

"Return To Me (Ritorna-Me)"
Dean Martin

Return to me
Oh my dear I'm so lonely
Hurry back, hurry back
Oh my love hurry back I'm yours

Return to me
For my heart wants you only
Hurry home, hurry home
Won't you please hurry home to my heart

My darling, if I hurt you I'm sorry
Forgive me and please say you are mine

Return to me
Please come back bella mia
Hurry back, hurry home to my arms
To my lips and my heart

Retorna me
Cara mia ti amo
Solo tu, solo tu, solo tu, solo tu
Mio cuore
----------------------

michael corleone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby corrsty » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:04 pm

michael corleone wrote:
TAS, remember the Italian song RITORNA ME? That's my previously owned F8 :devil:

:D :D :D :rofl:

Anong F-8 version ito sir?
corrsty
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Squirrelnutzipper » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:08 pm

Nothing's changed bro, they still have your name on them. And I still get to keep one of each ;)

Oh, not my point. Stylus is for you, Master!
Squirrelnutzipper
Citizen
Citizen

Next

Return to Analog