Playstation as CD Player

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Re: Playstation as CD Player

Postby patbong » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:04 am

Re: patbong's set up

Postby patbong on Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:45 am
Re: patbong's set up
by highlander on Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:18 pm

Nice set-up you got there!

Is your PS1 'stock'? There are mods/tweaks to the PS1 that make it a better player
(if you are not using anymore for games)...

Check this out..
http://dogbreath.de/PS1/index.html

Thank You highlander for your input. With regard to my Playstation It is stock player. I dont use it for gaming and will just use it as CD Player. I am not good as a DIYer. I hope someday I could have somebody mod it for upgrade as CD player. I am listening to it as i am posting this reply to you and I like it so much. Thank you for your input.

Here,s a site from highlander with regards to PS1 as CD player. Thank you highlander very informative site.
patbong
Citizen
Citizen

Postby highlander » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:19 am

Another interesting link...It's in German. But he went on to total PS1 modification - with tubes! 8)

http://www.methe-family.de/cd.htm

You can use this Yahoo link to translate the site. Just cut and past the link above..(amazing!) :o

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/
Last edited by highlander on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
highlander
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby simonzaide » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:35 am

highlander wrote:Another interesting link...It's in German. But he went on to total PS1 modification - with tubes! 8)

http://www.methe-family.de/cd.htm

this is a good read ang galing naman nya mag diy
simonzaide
Citizen
Citizen

Postby harvey_a_vasquez » Tue May 18, 2010 11:14 pm

Matagal na pala ito ngayon ko lang natisod...

The high-end audio world is a weird place, filled with "strident yet ethereal highs," "boisterous bass" and $23,500 speaker cables. As with any expensive hobby, there are thousands of clever audiophiles trying to produce truly high-end sound at bargain basement prices.

And what could be more bargain basement than an old game console? There's a growing legion of music fans who are convinced that the lowly PlayStation 1 (Model SCPH-1001/1002) offers CD audio quality that rivals units costing thousands of dollars more. A reviewer on 6moons.com enthuses:

"I had heard rumors of just how good this particular version of the PS1 is when used as a CD player and was curious to give it a listen. This kid's video game player really does have outstanding audio performance. I'm guessing you'd have to spend more than $6000 on a one-box CD player to equal let alone better it."

I'm always skeptical of such claims, especially when they're not backed up by hard evidence. After all, it could just be that the audio output of the PS One is louder than other CD players, or perhaps the Digital to Analog converters color the sound in a musically appealing manner.

Some users report that the PlayStation sounds best when left on for several days before a listening session, which strikes me as alchemy - solid state electronic equipment simply doesn't need time to warm up like vintage tube equipment. The unit will reach "normal" operating temperature within a few minutes, and extreme heat is never a friend of precision integrated circuitry.
I'd definitely be interested in hearing from readers who have tried the PlayStation One with a high-end stereo: Does it really sound better?

Need a high-end CD player? Why not use your old PlayStation? [ars technica]

From Retrothing.com

And here is an Audio set up of Harbeth, Leben, Shindo and the Sony Playstation.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/leben2/system.html
harvey_a_vasquez
Citizen
Citizen

Postby AAudio » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:12 pm

hi

jus bought a ps1 in raon, manila....maganda nga tlaga sound quality. i have read the suggested modification for the model scph 1000 but i think i prefer na as is lang...maybe the power supply puede i-upgrade but it will have to wait medyo busy pa si mang rod.....but for those who are still on the look for ps1 model scph 100x you can try going to raon, manila.

cheers
AAudio
Citizen
Citizen

Postby forseti » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:49 pm

AAudio wrote:hi

jus bought a ps1 in raon, manila....maganda nga tlaga sound quality. i have read the suggested modification for the model scph 1000 but i think i prefer na as is lang...maybe the power supply puede i-upgrade but it will have to wait medyo busy pa si mang rod.....but for those who are still on the look for ps1 model scph 100x you can try going to raon, manila.

cheers

How much?

The one you got, does it have RCA output at the back?
forseti
Citizen
Citizen

Postby AAudio » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:15 am

yup :) the exact model suggested for cdp use (scph 1001)...php 700.00..console only then i brought the ps1 to a nearby technician for a lens replacement and convert it also to autovoltage for an additional expense of 700 pesos.

no power cable and controller ang 700 pesos sir.......i might go back nxt weekend for another unit of ps1 for a friend though im not sure if the price would be the same from my previous purchase sana lang meron pa yung pinagbilhin ko ng same model na scph 1001...medyo mahirap hanapin the said model.
AAudio
Citizen
Citizen

Postby juancho » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:12 pm

Acquired several months ago a SCPH-1001 from a surplus shop in QC for only php500 :o

When I attached it to my Yamaha DSP-A1, I found it very natural and "flowy"
I never realized my set-up was bright until I attached the Ps1 :lol:

Great buy for me :rock:
juancho

Postby msj965 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:33 am

Mga sir,
Marami akong ps 1 sa bahay (scph1001) U.S version nga lang 5pcs with remote.iba rito eh na tweak ko na.yan Lang ang player ko sa bahay na naka hook up dito ang Qinpu a-6000mkii at Yamaha DSP A2 ko.
msj965

Postby warmaster » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:15 am

msj965 wrote:Mga sir,
Marami akong ps 1 sa bahay (scph1001) U.S version nga lang 5pcs with remote.iba rito eh na tweak ko na.yan Lang ang player ko sa bahay na naka hook up dito ang Qinpu a-6000mkii at Yamaha DSP A2 ko.

are you selling?
warmaster

Previous

Return to Digital