The Gift of the Stone

Moderator: mandym

Re: The Gift of the Stone

Postby JackD201 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:46 pm

Here's what is both fun and exasperating about analog. All adjustable parameters allow us leeway in dialing in the sound we prefer. Talk about being a blessing and a curse! Actually, if you refuse to dumb down your standards, it's curse the majority of the time until you finally get it right. Then the blessing goes because the darned weather changed! :@ :@ :@ The moments are definitely worth it but really sometimes that CD player can be a godsend :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:44 pm

jack,

oh so true :D :D :D but nowadays I'm just satisfying myself with internet radio :$ :$ :$ :$ I don't even have ceedees ;( ;(
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby mandym » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:35 am

THIS GUY IS AFTER MY HEART!!!

I found it in the Internet this morning. He talks exactly (well almost) what I wanted to express.
He is not a Filipino expressing his convictions. He is a foreigner with big capital behind him. So, maybe a lot of Pinoy audiophiles will grant him a lot more credibility and believability (specially that his tonearm costs $6,500) than their lowly Pinoy tinkerer.

http://www.durand-tonearms.com/index.php?p=1_9_Azimuth-talk

START OF LECTURE...
This is a big part of my unhappiness with our Audio community. Very few of us take Pinoy innovators seriously but instead some "gurus" try to sound ever-so-smart by trying to put them down. I have had talks with many who are in my opinion knowledgeable members who simply refuse to post their ideas because of Pinoy prejudice and Kamikaze "guru" attacks. I know how they feel! I had thought long before posting this thread exactly because of this but decided to do so in the hope that a few will be encouraged to do their own little experimenting.
END OF LECTURE.
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby pigdog » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:39 pm

a very intresting and well thought of post mandy, truly appreciated it
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby Mamimili » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:55 pm

mandym wrote:.
START OF LECTURE...
This is a big part of my unhappiness with our Audio community. Very few of us take Pinoy innovators seriously but instead some "gurus" try to sound ever-so-smart by trying to put them down. I have had talks with many who are in my opinion knowledgeable members who simply refuse to post their ideas because of Pinoy prejudice and Kamikaze "guru" attacks. I know how they feel! I had thought long before posting this thread exactly because of this but decided to do so in the hope that a few will be encouraged to do their own little experimenting.
END OF LECTURE.

Well i for one hope your posts and/or lecture encourage those who do not post to start posting!
I have gained a lot from many at WS, not just because i have a few Tono products but because i have been able to listen to other's advice and set up's, most of all the inspiration to try for myself and as soon as i take some photographs of my latest speaker baffles i will post them at the risk of being the latest joke.
To be honest i do not care, i am having fun learning (copying!) what to do and at the same time learn some new tool skills.

Keep going Sensei
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby Remus » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:10 am

Tito Mandy.
Let me cite another website that discusses azimuth adjustment: http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/cartbasics.html

This webpage briefly discussed 4 different methods of azimuth adjustment:

1. Eyeball method or mirror method: setting cartridge body or the stylus perpendicular to the platter by naked eyesight - this is like what Noly and our friends with auto-azimuth cartridge :lol: :lol: are using.

2. Using a dedicated cartridge analyzer or an oscilloscope or accurate digital voltmeter in conjunction with a test LP - this is the web author's preferred method; Philip, Val & Noly also touched on this method.

3.connecting one channel of the cartridge out of phase with the other, then playing a monaural test LP and adjusting azimuth by tuning for least output

4.the method you described here, and I quote:

"From Harry Weisfeld at VPI comes yet another rather simple method, requiring only a mono record and a pair of ears. He suggests that a simple mono recording of voice should provide a stable, non-wavering image, precisely centered between the two speakers. Adjust the azimuth to achieve optimum results. This method works well if you’re practiced enough to know what to listen for, though most listeners would be better served by using one of the tests outlined previously."

Of the four methods, I have not tried 3 & 4 because my hearing acuity is not that good. Method 3 requires more stringent listening ability than method 4. Method 2 is very easy to do as long as one's not lazy enough to do it :lol: :lol: .

I personally prefer a modified method 1. Because like you said:

mandym wrote:4. Perfect alignment is perhaps too difficult to achieve because of interactions between VTA, VTF, Azimuth and tracking error.

And you can add channel imbalance and cross talk of cartridge, amp, pre-amp and speaker; plus acoustical dissymmetry of the listening space etc. which all affect what we hear or measure at the end of the pipe. My personal opinion is that methods 2,3 & 4 are "indirect" methods, because the azimuth is adjusted based on its "effects". I prefer to "zero-in" on the stylus because its perpendicularity to the record surface is what azimuth is all about.

Here is my modified version of method 1:

1. A thin plate of mirror is placed on top of the platter with about 30 mm. overhang. The cartridge is placed on top of the overhanged portion of the mirror about 10 mm. from the edges.

2. A magnifier is positioned face-to-face with the cartridge in front of the overhanged portion of the mirror.

3. The focal distance of the magnifier is adjusted until the stylus tip and its images on the mirror are clearly seen.
There will be two images on the mirror: the first one is immediately below the stylus tip (reflected by the top of the glass plate) and the second one some distance from the stylus tip (reflected by the coating underneath the glass plate). The second image is more easily visible. The cartridge or the headshell should be adjusted until the stylus tip and the first image are aligned.

Of late, I switched to using metallic plates with mirror-like finish to get away with the second image.

I use small bubble level placed on top of the headshell to check if the stylus tip is perpendicular to the top surface of the cartridge body. This will make azimuth setting during re-installation of the same cartridge easier. Plus the bubble level also helps in aligning the tonearm wand/cartridge body parallel to the platter.

This bubble level will facilitate azimuth setting for people who are :devil: :devil: confident :devil: :devil: that the stylus tip of their cartridge is perpendicular to the top surface of its body. The weight of the bubble level is only around 0.5 gram so deduction on the set VTF is optional.

I checked the azimuth of my current set-up by Method 2 using downloaded oscilloscope program. Pc Oscilloscopes are practically free; they use the sound card of PC or laptop as analog-to-digital converter. I connected the output of the phonostage to the line-in jack of my laptop, then played back a 1 khz test tone separately on each channel. As described in Val's test LP, I checked the cross talk on each channel and this is what I got:

The test tone on the left channel is shown in red trace and the crosstalk on the right channel in green.

The test tone on the right channel is shown in green trace and the crosstalk on the left channel in red.

The measured crosstalks are 29.82 and 31.40 mV. Good enough for me.
Remus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:23 am

Great thinking going with polished metal Remus! My problem with mirrors is that unless viewed in precise alignment there is a parallax shift caused by the distance between the glass surface and the reflective surface underneath. Kewl!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby mandym » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:53 am

JackD201 wrote:Great thinking going with polished metal Remus! My problem with mirrors is that unless viewed in precise alignment there is a parallax shift caused by the distance between the glass surface and the reflective surface underneath. Kewl!

Agree! That is what caught my eye in Remus' post. Reflective telescopes use front surface mirrors to get around this problem. Good idea Remus, I just notice that you must be taking special care that your metal plate is parallel to the "record" surface because you seem to have a felt mat.

Remus, thanks for joining the thread! You have a good compilation of methods. In the end however, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Non-fussy eaters are quite easy to satisfy, gourmets with their well-developed taste buds are the opposite. So it is with Audio.

Our community runs the gamut between tin-eared and golden-eared audiophiles. As long as everyone remain true to their beliefs and do not force their tastes on others, we will all be happy with one another (which by-and-large we are!).

My purpose is to try to contribute to the advancement of our art through exploration and the application of common sense and logic which all of us possess but sometimes forget to use IMHO :( :( :( .
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:35 am

mandym wrote:Our community runs the gamut between tin-eared and golden-eared audiophiles. As long as everyone remain true to their beliefs and do not force their tastes on others, we will all be happy with one another (which by-and-large we are!).

agree.

i think the community is mature enough (at least a good majority) to be able to decide which inputs help and which ones to discard. so guys, both gurus (kamikaze and the true ones) should continue to post their "beliefs and do not force their tastes on others".

the greatest disservice one can do in this community is for folks who have the wealth of experience and wisdom in audio but CHOOSE to be quiet and only complain within their smaller circle of influence. that to me is pure pride and cowardice. for those who post here at WS with true conviction, passion AND RESPECT, hats-off to you all! the best ideas will almost always withstand the test of scrutiny, logic and even folly...hehe

so post without fear like mandy and others! :D
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Jon Agner » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:32 am

Remus,

Glad you brought up those methods (At least I'm not the only one that uses the bubble level method :) ). I did use the polished metal plate before but the problem is that easily gets attracted to the magnet. I replaced this with a polished aluminium plate. :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:03 pm

Remus,

The online oscilloscope program is quite a revelation. And very interesting too. Hope you can guide us through as some of us are very interested to know where to download it and how to use it.

You mentioned that your 'measured crosstalks are 29.82 and 31.40 mV. Good enough for me.'
What would the absolute values be? Like is there such a thing as perfectly 'matched crosstalk'? Like 31.0 and 31.0mv for both channels? And how much is the tolerance to be able to say that 'that is good for me'? Also, can it happen that the measurements are 'good' but the image is off center, assuming nothing else is wrong in the audio chain? Thanks for sharing.
Last edited by jadis on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby dante » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:35 pm

I tried reading the technical discussion about azimuth setting and now my head aches from the effort! Which leaves me with just one option to get my azimuth settings right. I'll invite Remus and the other expert posters to my house for an azimuth setting session, bribe them with some single malt AFTER azimuth has been set PERFECTLY, and then enjoy the music. I call this the Dante method. Problem solved! :lol: :lol: :lol:
dante
cool dude

Postby audiostar » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:21 pm

dante wrote:I tried reading the technical discussion about azimuth setting and now my head aches from the effort! Which leaves me with just one option to get my azimuth settings right. I'll invite Remus and the other expert posters to my house for an azimuth setting session, bribe them with some single malt AFTER azimuth has been set PERFECTLY, and then enjoy the music. I call this the Dante method. Problem solved! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pag ganyan ang bribe, siguradong simut ang single malt mo :) Seriously though, with due respect, I don't see and I don't believe anyone is trying to 'force their taste on others' in this particular thread. What I've witnessed so far has been an honest to goodness sharing of views which is healthy at the very least. Neither did I see any so called 'kamikaze gurus' as earlier suggested (not in this thread anyway). I should commend Master Mandy for starting this thread. His invitation for us to join in the discussion was gladly accepted by even those who have 'little knowledge', but shared them anyway. But however little they shared has nonetheless enriched WS knowledge data bank, I sincerely believe. I tip my hat's off to Master Mandy :clap: Maybe I should reiterate his invitation to everyone; there's nothing to fear, the water is fine.

mandym wrote: Please feel free to voice your comments, suggest other ideas/interpretations about the "azimuth phenomenon". Anything at all to advance our Art.
audiostar

Location: audio nirvana st., speakers corner ave. music city, mars

Postby JackD201 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:32 pm

Jon Agner wrote:Remus,

Glad you brought up those methods (At least I'm not the only one that uses the bubble level method :) ). I did use the polished metal plate before but the problem is that easily gets attracted to the magnet. I replaced this with a polished aluminium plate. :)

Time for 3M polishing paper :)

This is what they use for jewelry to get mirror finishes. They even use it for fiber optics.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby JackD201 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:56 pm

audiostar wrote:Seriously though, with due respect, I don't see and I don't believe anyone is trying to 'force their taste on others' in this particular thread. What I've witnessed so far has been an honest to goodness sharing of views which is healthy at the very least. Neither did I see any so called 'kamikaze gurus' as earlier suggested (not in this thread anyway). I should commend Master Mandy for starting this thread. His invitation for us to join in the discussion was gladly accepted by even those who have 'little knowledge', but shared them anyway. But however little they shared has nonetheless enriched WS knowledge data bank, I sincerely believe. I tip my hat's off to Master Mandy :clap: Maybe I should reiterate his invitation to everyone; there's nothing to fear, the water is fine.

I think, like Val does, that the discussion is in a very healthy state. The contrary positions are just another offshoot of the more objectivist folks and the more subjectivist folks feeling each other out in the act of reconciling the differing perspectives to reach common understanding. Nobody is ever fully objectivist (except Peter Aczel maybe :rofl: ) or subjectivist so there is need for some wiggle space. Thankfully, there is more than wiggle space. More like boogie space. That's a GOOD thing IMO. ;)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby Remus » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:00 am

jadis wrote:Remus,

The online oscilloscope program is quite a revelation. And very interesting too. Hope you can guide us through as some of us are very interested to know where to download it and how to use it.

You mentioned that your 'measured crosstalks are 29.82 and 31.40 mV. Good enough for me.'
What would the absolute values be? Like is there such a thing as perfectly 'matched crosstalk'? Like 31.0 and 31.0mv for both channels? And how much is the tolerance to be able to say that 'that is good for me'? Also, can it happen that the measurements are 'good' but the image is off center, assuming nothing else is wrong in the audio chain? Thanks for sharing.

Here it is, Philip:

http://www.zeitnitz.de/Christian/scope_en

There are many other softwares available, but I prefer this one because:
1. it comes with a frequency analyzer, signal generator, etc.
2. it has very low V/div setting- down to 100 microvolts

As mentioned in my post, I only applied the oscilloscope-crosstalk method to check my set-up which has been previously set using the mirror method. Being "good enough for me" means that what I heard is already acceptable to my standard. The magnitude of the crosstalk really depends on the cartridge. Theoritically, it is possible to attain "azimuth perfection" but this depends on the headshell/tonearm mechanism if it allows micro-adjustment of the azimuth, and of course . . . . one's patience.

As for your last question, assuming that the LP is flat, the turntable is properly set up (including the azimuth of the cartridge) and nothing is wrong with the audio chain, then the remaining possible causes of imbalance would be improper speaker placement, room acoustics dissymmetry and impaired hearing of the listener.

Let me rephrase your last question to read:

"What if I have set the azimuth "as perfectly as possible" to the best of my ability, using the mirror method and yet the image is off-centered, what will I do?"

Disregarding the warpage of the LP for the moment, the possible cause of imbalance should start from impaired hearing of the listener down to the cantilever of the cartridge. The logical approach is to check for imbalance starting upstream going downstream. First, with the help of a few sticks of cotton bud, I'll clean my pair of ears :lol: :lol: (as they say, the cheapest tweak in audio is .... :rofl: :rofl: ). Then I'll check for channel imbalance stage by stage starting with the speaker output. If the imbalance is caused by something that I can not correct or replace, I will not compromise the azimuth setting just to drag the singer to the center of my speakers. I would rather listen to my set-up with the image off-centered; than having the image centered but at the same time I am having anxiety because the stylus might be scraping one of the groove walls of my LP. Pre-owned LPs with noise on one channel only are not uncommon.

As for LP warpage, Methods 2, 3 & 4 (in my previous post) are all based on test lps which might be warped in one direction (either sloping down or up towards the center) to a certain degree. If the LP being played is warped in opposite direction as that of the test LP used for setting the azimuth, then the error would be compounded. Using a flat glass insures that the stylus is aligned to the true vertical, which imho is the best compromise for LP warpage in either direction. Setting up a turntable, like other engineering tasks such as erecting structures or installing machinery, should be based on two fundamental references: the vertical and horizontal. If one is to build a house along a mountain slope, he will erect it along the true vertical; and not perpendicular to the slope.

Tito Mandy,
Dalawang gabi na akong napupuyat. Kasalanan ito ng thread mo. Ang hirap magpost, pupunta na lang kami dyan for exchange of "tastes" :lol: :devil: :lol: :devil: .
Last edited by Remus on Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:51 am

One reason I personally question the quest for "technical perfection of azimuth" and thus bat for an acceptable "range" sans instrumentation is that the LP itself was not designed for perfect channel separation. The stereo V groove arrangement was adopted because it served market forces and not necessarily ideal specs for discreet signals. From a purely technical standpoint the LP was compromised in the channel separation department from the get go. The V groove was adopted because a stereo record could be used with the mono carts already in service at the time. The reason crosstalk can't ever be 0.0mV is that MC carts share the same coil while I believe MM carts share the same magnet. The stereo LP by design is not a channel discreet medium so the pick up can't be either. Full channel separation can't be achieved because the V configuration of the record and not the cartridge just doesn't allow it. It can be minimized yes. ZYX is probably the best example of ingenious ways to do it the reason I've written before that I feel they have the most rock solid imaging and impact of all my carts including my built for impact MMs the Shure 44-7 and Ort Pro S. Still, it can't be eliminated. The closest one can theoretically get is crosstalk of equal magnitude and only because the left and right channel are playing the same frequency at the same amplitude. In my mind then if one managed to reach the theoretical accomplishment of perfect azimuth yet it can't get perfect channel separation......what was all the effort for?

Now guys please don't think I'm pooh-pooh-ing the importance of azimuth. It is as important with LPs as it is with the magnetic tape heads 99% or more of the masters of our LPs were made from. Nor am I saying that OC attention is a bad thing. I'm probably more OC about azimuth than most because my arms let me fiddle with it very easily. I bank all my carts one way or the other in ever decreasing increments until I just can't hear the difference in focus anymore. It's in alignment, VTF/VTA ultra fine tuning that I need serious help. Azimuth may not be the meat and bones but it definitely can be the icing on the cake. Give me an oscilloscope and a test LP and you can bet I'll use it just because I'm such a geek. As someone who I think is more on the subjectivist side and as an end user however, I just have no need for it. It'd be a toy to me and not an instrument. I can however understand a QC engineer or any tech that works on analog front ends, needing it. They do not have the luxury of enjoying moving targets. They have to adhere to strict standards. To me hearing good enough is good enough, perhaps to remus seeing a readout that coincides alongside what he hears is good enough is good enough. Neither of us is wrong I think. Just different.

Ain't life just grand? :)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby TheAnalogSource » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:50 am

dante wrote:I tried reading the technical discussion about azimuth setting and now my head aches from the effort! Which leaves me with just one option to get my azimuth settings right. I'll invite Remus and the other expert posters to my house for an azimuth setting session, bribe them with some single malt AFTER azimuth has been set PERFECTLY, and then enjoy the music. I call this the Dante method. Problem solved! :lol: :lol: :lol:

never mind the azimuth setting....lets start na with the single malt....tutuwid na lang yan after a few rounds :drunk: :lol:
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby mandym » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:04 am

Great posts to open my day, Remus and Jack! Now I am getting confused too. I love it :D :D .

@VD
vintage_dog wrote:so post without fear like mandy and others! :D

Er, VD, I am actually fearful...which is a good thing because it forces me to think hard and carefully review anything that I want to post that is a little off the beaten path. Pesky Kamikaze mosquitoes are easy enough to flick away, it is ME that I worry about! I fear that I might get so frustrated and decide, like others have done, that it is just not worth it. Not to worry VD, I aim to keep plugging away!

@Dante
Just a little cautionary comment Dante ( I hope you don't mind).
Getting the Azimuth spot-on requires a lot of concentration and critical listening. On a hardness scale, it is probably a little bit harder to get the azimuth right that get a 100% on the BAR exams :D . The procedure is best done in an unrushed manner and in a quiet atmosphere with minimal distractions. Best of luck on your quest!

@Val
Thank you for your measured comments. I appreciate you discreet reminder. Dedication and frustration are bedfellows, I guess. I apologize to all for for my outburst! Hopefully it can be viewed in good light as just one facet of the passion that sustains the life and vitality of our community. Long Live WiredState!!
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:14 am

Remus wrote:As mentioned in my post, I only applied the oscilloscope-crosstalk method to check my set-up which has been previously set using the mirror method. Being "good enough for me" means that what I heard is already acceptable to my standard. The magnitude of the crosstalk really depends on the cartridge. Theoritically, it is possible to attain "azimuth perfection" but this depends on the headshell/tonearm mechanism if it allows micro-adjustment of the azimuth, and of course . . . . one's patience.

That's clear enough, Remus. This is an interesting topic because all throughout the years, or even decades of observing 'analogists' play the hobby, this is the first time that I actually 'see' the oscilloscope (on line version) at work, at least in coming out with mv readings. Someone just told me the other day that Feickert sells a program that somewhat resembles an online scope for like $300 - and this also has to do with azimuth checking. What I have heard from a HK high end specialist was that "only" with the use of a scope can there be 'perfect azimuth' adjustment. And during that time I wondered how practical can that be, to purchase a scope just for attaining a perfect azimuth, which was my initial reply to TAS' comments. Over the decades I have not encountered a single TT lover who had used a scope for that purpose, that's what I meant too. 'MT' has an Audio Technica Cartridge Analyzer, a picture of which I had posted in his thread. But he has never used it. He says it needed a scope to work. And so far he has never got a scope. But as far as I know, he tweaks using the EE methold (eye/ear), good thing the NT (nose/throat) are not needed. :D So your explanation sheds a lot of light, in that your scope-check was done after the mirror method which I suppose is the 'eye system'. It's like a 'double-checking' system and great you are able to share and demonstrate the technical side of 'azimuth'.

The Feickert program is HERE. It's quite complex and I'm starting to get a headache... :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Mandy's Wonders