what awaits me in sydney...

vintage and modern toys of the old dog :-)

Moderator: vintage_dog

what awaits me in sydney...

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:44 pm

carlo sent me this pic of an antique shop/bookstore whic he "discovered" in sydney with tons of vinyl...

sure is a good reason to come visit him soon... ;)
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Re: what awaits me in sydney...

Postby Jon Agner » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:56 pm

whoa :o :o :o Matindi ang pagka stack niyan ah :o :o :o :o
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby dante » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:01 am

Kelan punta mo? Sama ako bro! ;)
dante
cool dude

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:04 am

partial pa lang yan. antique bookstore/records... summer best time. may promo PAL...best of all may balikbayan service din!
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby dante » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:07 am

I'm taking my kids for a short break out of the country after the UP graduation ceremonies on April 25. So, if May alis mo, maybe we could time it to coincide with our trip. I saw that promo fare to Sydney. Not bad. Maybe your son can recommend a good hotel near the harbor?
dante
cool dude

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:10 am

dante wrote:I'm taking my kids for a short break out of the country after the UP graduation ceremonies on April 25. So, if May alis mo, maybe we could time it to coincide with our trip. I saw that promo fare to Sydney. Not bad. Maybe your son can recommend a good hotel near the harbor?

am writing him. he surely can recommend a hotel or two and help you around...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby O.D. Yeo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:40 am

dante,
I'll also be in Sydney on the last week of April to visit my son who will be studying there.
If you have Marriot reward points, they have what seems like a very nice one right smack in the harbor.
O.D. Yeo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:50 am

am thinking more of the holy week in sydney. any hotel near the rock would be just fine.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby troporobo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:50 am

vintage_dog wrote:carlo sent me this pic of an antique shop/bookstore whic he "discovered" in sydney with tons of vinyl...

I am sure that is Ashwood's Music and Books near the Queen Victoria Building. It's a fun place to browse, but a difficult place (IMO) to buy for a serious vinylista. I say this for a few reasons. It's not very well organized, so if you are looking for specific titles it can take a while. The condition of the records tends not to be the best. Their prices are too high (again, IMO) for the quality that they offer. Most importantly, they pull all the "good stuff" to sell on-line. However, if the staff are in a good mood when you are there, you can ask them to bring the "good stuff" out of the back room. I was there once looking for piano jazz records, and after finding nothing asked at the counter, whereupon they came out with a stack of about 10 Oscar Peterson and 10 Art Tatum records. I bought one of each, but at $15-20 a title its not a bargain shop that's for sure.

My favorite shops to try are Red Eye Records (one on King St near George, and one on upper Pitt St near Chinatown). There used to be a place called Mojo Music on lower York St, but I have not been there in a while and don't know if they are still going.

Now my #1 tip for a music lover visiting Sydney: The Basement is a jazz and blues club near Circular Quay that brings in top local and international acts. They have a very good bistro too. So for a reasonable price (for Sydney prices anyway!) you get a three course gourmet meal and a concert. I have seen some great shows there. Another really fun venue is the Arthouse Hotel on Pitt St just past Market St

As for hotels, the Marriot, Shangi-La, and Jamieson are all within an easy walk of Circular Quay and the Rocks. The nicest hotel in that area is the Observatorybut its expensive. The Raddison is also good. There is also a very high quality Holiday Inn at the far end of the Rocks. The absolute best way to get a hotel in Sydney is to use Wotif:

http://www.wotif.com
troporobo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:16 am

thanks for the info troporobo, that's very helpful and should help guide us where to look in our next visit to sydney.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ziggyboy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:00 am

This was in King St, Newtown near the University of Sydney (not King St in the Sydney CBD):

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&sour ... 38581&z=15

The photo I sent is only half of the LP's they have. There is another aisle with LP's in front of the shop. There are also a few used books/vinyl shops in the same area as it is the antique/artsy area in Sydney.

I could suggest some places to stay in later (at work right now). If several of you are coming, you might want to rent a "vacation residence" instead of hotels. Normally these are run by individuals who have spare apartments/houses for rent. They're normally cheaper than hotels and you get to stay at a real home as opposed to a hotel/motel. Visit http://www.stayz.com.au/ for more info. For example you can rent a 4-bedroom house complete with all furniture/appliances, backyard, and even a garage...
ziggyboy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ziggyboy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:48 am

Found it. It's Gould's Book Arcade... http://www.gouldsbooks.com.au/
ziggyboy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:02 am

ziggyboy wrote:Found it. It's Gould's Book Arcade... http://www.gouldsbooks.com.au/

if you have the time, can you check-out the prices of the LPs on their various bins? thanks
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ziggyboy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:27 am

I'm sure some of you will be salivating over this.

Glebe Record Fair (Glebe is in Sydney, close to the University of Sydney too). This and Gould's are in very close proximity from each other.

http://www.popheads.com.au/gleberecordfair.html
ziggyboy
Administrator
Administrator

Postby troporobo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:40 pm

ziggyboy wrote:Found it. It's Gould's Book Arcade... http://www.gouldsbooks.com.au/

I stand corrected (I would have sworn that it was Ashwoods by the bookshelves above the records). Thanks for the information on new places to try! I will have to visit this one on my next stopover
troporobo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby O.D. Yeo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:14 am

vintage_dog wrote:am thinking more of the holy week in sydney. any hotel near the rock would be just fine.

No opera around then, but how about . . .

Carole King and James Taylor

This event brings together two of the most beloved singer/songwriters for a rare concert experience. Their set list will include a breadth of material including songs they performed during their 1970 debut show at the Troubadour in Los Angeles, which helped propel them both to the world stage.
The idea for this tour came together in 2007 after Taylor and King performed at the famed Los Angeles venue for the first time since 1970 to celebrate the Troubadour's 50th Anniversary.
O.D. Yeo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:05 am

O.D. Yeo wrote:
Carole King and James Taylor

This event brings together two of the most beloved singer/songwriters for a rare concert experience. Their set list will include a breadth of material including songs they performed during their 1970 debut show at the Troubadour in Los Angeles, which helped propel them both to the world stage.
The idea for this tour came together in 2007 after Taylor and King performed at the famed Los Angeles venue for the first time since 1970 to celebrate the Troubadour's 50th Anniversary.

wow! thanks for sharing...will try to get bookings na ;)
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby O.D. Yeo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:18 am

. . . and/or Bebel Gilberto April 8 at the Enmore Theatre !
O.D. Yeo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby audiostar » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:14 pm

Go! go! go! na agad Francis :)
audiostar

Location: audio nirvana st., speakers corner ave. music city, mars

Postby skeesix » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:40 pm

[quote="vintage_dog"]partial pa lang yan. antique bookstore/records... summer best time. may promo PAL...best of all may balikbayan service din![/quote]

By March, PAL Sydney flights will be on board the brand new B777 :rock: . Bad news for us Airbus guys . As a consolation, we will fly the Manila- Melbourne-Brisbane route. New place to explore ;)

Sometime last year, I found some vinyl shops close to the Victoria market at Melbourne and several antique shops. Yes the Lps are costly and not organized in Australia.

The Four Points Sheraton overlooking the harbor at Sydney is great. I was fortunate enough to stay there during one of the Airbus organized conferences.
Very good steaks. Don t forget to try kangaroo steaks. Much more tender than beef. :)
skeesix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Next

Return to / VD's doghouse \