STEREOPHILE'S mat, "Mandified"

Moderator: mandym

STEREOPHILE'S mat, "Mandified"

Postby mandym » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:38 am

Having found Stereophile's mat to be an improvement to vinyl playback, I surmised that improving its contact with the vinyl might enhance its effectiveness. At its present configuration, the mat only contacts the vinyl at basically the raised label are and the rim of the record (specifically designed, I would assume, to prevent the recorded portions from contacting the platter surface thus minimizing mechanical scratching).

I consulted Doc Lito about my thoughts and learned that he, being the designer of the mat was way ahead of me. He offered to lend me his test mat with the label area cut out. Soon after, Tonya kindly took it with him to San Pablo when he visited me.

Used on my system, the verdict in one word: SUPERB!

Since then, I have been trying to come out with an explanation for what I was hearing and the phrase "Vinyl overload" (if indeed there is such a animal) seemed like an appropriate term. I imagine that the vinyl material can only take a certain level of modulation above which its properties become discontinuous. Other devices act the same way ( i.e. a loudspeaker complains unpleasantly when overdriven). This is just my conjecture after having heard the effect of the modified mat. It seemed to mollify the chaos of overmodulation and results in cleaner crescendos, more natural sibilance and better dynamics. Or maybe, the mat could simply be an excellent damper for the vibrations that reverberate all over the vinyl during playback. Whatever the reason is, the proof is in the hearing...I am very happy with the results.

So good doctor, I am sorry to inform you that you won't be getting your mat back. It stays right here! OK, so have me arrested for matnapping. It is worth its weight in gold (lucky for me it doesn't weigh too much). Easily among the best tweaks I have ever come across for my system. Please send me the bill PDQ.

One small problem (?).....keeping the mat centered. I "mandified" it by attaching it to a regular Stereophile mat. Problem solved.

Thanks much Doc Lito, for your valuable contribution to my listening pleasure. Looking forward to more good stuff from the Skunkworks!
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: STEREOPHILE'S mat, "Mandified"

Postby stereophile » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:57 am

Thanks Mandy! I have to clarify. The Initial concept was suggested to me 3 years ago by fellow member joeygs. I made a custom mat with the hole cut out. The intention was to either glue or stick with thin double-sided tape to a regular skunkworks phonomat.

It's been 'on the shelf' as I've been sidetracked by other things since then. I may have an extra 'doughnut' mat or two lying around. I'll be glad to give them away FREE to the first 2 posters in this thread(granting I find them). :D
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby kabubi » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:00 am

1. Me
2. ________________

:D :D :D
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby docsialu » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:03 am

ME TOO ;)
docsialu
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Jon Agner » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:04 am

Mandy,

I too am using Doc's doughnut from the day I got it :) It never left my platter since the day I placed the mat on top of it. :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby stereophile » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:38 am

Doughnuts reserved to Kabubi & docsialu. Will inform you when I have them. Thanks for replying.
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby stereophile » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:40 am

stereophile wrote:Doughnuts reserved to Kabubi & docsialu. Will inform you when I have them. Thanks for replying.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the 'doughnut', Jon. :)
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby JoeyGS » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:43 pm

Yup thanks to doc lito from granting my request and I have been using the donut hole to both of my 1200s ever since :) ;)
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JoeyGS » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:50 pm

This is true...I am using 2 mats --- 1 donut and 1 regular

You can "mat roll" if you want becasue doc Lito have 2 types of materials -- the grey and the black. You can also use this to adjust the vertical height adjustment by using several mat and the donut always on top. I have used 2 mat and 1 donut on certain carts.

Mix and match until you get the best combo.

Congrats sir Mandy......hope I can visit your place in the future.

Kind regards,
JoeyGS

mandym wrote:
One small problem (?).....keeping the mat centered. I "mandified" it by attaching it to a regular Stereophile mat. Problem solved.

JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dante » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:18 pm

Doc, I'd gladly pay for the donuts if you decide to cut more of them. One each of the black and the gray. Thanks!
dante
cool dude

Postby DCO » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:21 pm

its like the loricraft mat... composed of 1 regular mat and the one on top is donut using same material! the mats are not glued to each other..nakapatong lang!
:)
DCO
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby highlander » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:52 pm

DCO wrote:its like the loricraft mat... composed of 1 regular mat and the one on top is donut using same material! the mats are not glued to each other..nakapatong lang!
:)

Mukhang yung platter mo yan ah! :devil: :lol: :lol: Congrats! :clap: :clap: :clap:
highlander
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mandym » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:40 am

stereophile wrote:Thanks Mandy! I have to clarify. The Initial concept was suggested to me 3 years ago by fellow member joeygs. I made a custom mat with the hole cut out. The intention was to either glue or stick with thin double-sided tape to a regular skunkworks phonomat.

The Dungeonmeister says "Great minds think alike, some just take a little time to catch up".
It took me 3 yeas to catch up to this wonderful tweak :D :D .
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to Mandy's Wonders