"HAIL TO THE EMPEROR!!!" - The VS VR-111 XS

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Postby jadis » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:40 pm

JackD201 wrote:Rands, dag dag o palit? :twisted:

A black pair of these and a MUCH larger listening HALL :lol:

And I understand that a freebie 'accessory' ( or human tool-kit, if you will) that comes with the VR-11 system is Herr Von Schweikert himself, in the flesh, to tighten the nuts and bolts, among other things. So we would like to make the wish in advance to Herr VS: 'Herzlich Willkommen in Philippinen! :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby kabubi » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:10 pm

for all of you agnostic audiophiles out there, this is what the afterlife looks like.
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:57 pm

Bwahahahaha You kill me, kabubi! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby John Martin » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:26 am

JackD201 wrote:
keith wrote:
John Martin wrote:Guys, where can I get these racks?

AV Driver :)

Emperor replaced his amp stands. Want me to ask if he's selling his old ones?

Yun rack sana. thanks bro
John Martin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: The Emperor's Von Schweikert VR-9's & 'Quadro' LAMMs

Postby jadis » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:11 pm

COMING SOON.......Very soon........The NEW Imperial Palace that will rival the 'Forbidden City' :) ( and I hope I will be given a 'safe pass' to witness anything that happens in there). :D One hundred two (102) square meters of pure acoustical space, net space (not gross space) with a ceiling height of 14 Feet. 8) It will house these humongous 'file photo' beasties: :)

As of press time, they are sealed-in-crates, resting in parts unknown till D-Day.... :clap: :clap: :clap: (Pwede bang mag commando raid dito? Bring 2 ten wheelers and a 'crane') :D :D :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Superman » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:12 pm

H U W A W ! :o :o :o :o :o
Superman
Master Showman

Postby Jon Agner » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:07 pm

jadis wrote:COMING SOON.......Very soon........The NEW Imperial Palace that will rival the 'Forbidden City' :) ( and I hope I will be given a 'safe pass' to witness anything that happens in there). :D One hundred two (102) square meters of pure acoustical space, net space (not gross space) with a ceiling height of 14 Feet. 8) It will house these humongous 'file photo' beasties: :)

As of press time, they are sealed-in-crates, resting in parts unknown till D-Day.... :clap: :clap: :clap: (Pwede bang mag commando raid dito? Bring 2 ten wheelers and a 'crane') :D :D :D

Ahhhhh.... the emperor's new palace is completed na pala :D :D :D
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby keith » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:30 pm

Actually, not yet Jon. ;)
keith
walastick

Postby jadis » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:37 pm

Yes, not yet, Jon...it can be smelled, but not tasted, yet.... ]:)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:30 pm

After a whole day of audio tour last Friday, I am very thankful to be welcomed the day after into the musical palace of the emperor of all emperors, KAISER Von Schweikert IX the First (as there is a Kaiser VS IX the second, the distinction being only in terms of age). :D

There has been some internal changes in the palace, and I was thrilled (to say the least) to be able to experience it. The cliche of 'LIVE' has always been used by other witnesses to this room, and pardon the shortage of my vocabulary here, I still have to use that same word LIVE again and again as I get to feel this kind of aural sensation in the 'Kaiser's Palace'. :) That being the primary definition of the experience, I hereby will add a few more 'subsequent' words to humanly describe what I have heard. There is so much emotion as one listens to the music there that the listener may want to lunge forward and join the orchestra (whether one knows how to conduct or not). :D That is how I felt at least. :lol:

Also, there is so much ease in deciphering the difference in recording technique from one record to the next, and we are even talking of 2 different albums of the same label. I never imagined such nuances becoming so easy to hear, but given such a revealing system, that is the case. There is always a pleasant and serene sense of musicality, of mass strings delicately and sweetly floating in space and actually staying there without overly intruding into our sense of enjoyment.

And all this while we are staying at the present musical abode and not even in the soon-to-finish 'listening clubhouse' of 102 square meters. I can't even begin to imagine how sublime it will be when it's finished. (By then the title will be Kaiser Von Schweikert XI). :D Maybe it will be like my first ride of 'Space Mountain' back in the 80s. The only difference is, I might not come back to earth this time. :D :D :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby rtsyrtsy » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:50 pm

Inakup! Kung madinig ko kaya iyan eh...

...mawawalan na ako ng pag-asa as an audiophile at ititigil ko na ang lahat ng gastos sa audio gear? :D

Puwede sigurong magbenta ng concert tickets para makinig dyan. :D
rtsyrtsy

Re: Hail To The Emperor - The VS 11's

Postby jadis » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:56 pm

jadis wrote:COMING SOON.......Very soon........The NEW Imperial Palace that will rival the 'Forbidden City' :) ( and I hope I will be given a 'safe pass' to witness anything that happens in there). :D One hundred two (102) square meters of pure acoustical space, net space (not gross space) with a ceiling height of 14 Feet. 8) It will house these humongous 'file photo' beasties: :)

The 'COMING SOON' IS FINALLY 'NOW SHOWING' !!! :lol:

To get ahead of myself, I have finally made a 'land-fall' into the the Emperor's Palace. Years of waiting have me felt like the crew of Columbus, :lol: specially the one who spotted and yelled: "LAND!" :D Yes, it is breathtaking, just seeing the outside of the palace, and knowing what is inside in the 'New World' of audio and music intertwined, is even more exhilirating. Herewith, begins my journey into what is, in my own opinion and observation, one of the the most if not the most thorough, well-thought out, intricate audio system AND room design that I have ever seen and listened to in my audio life. I need to rest a bit, collect my thoughts, and continue with the experience. I shall not try to be brief as possible. :lol: It simply cannot be... :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: "HAIL TO THE EMPEROR" - The VS VR-11's

Postby jadis » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:05 pm

Lets' start at the very beginning, a very good place to start...(with due apologies to Rodgers & Hammerstein) :lol:

With the aid of our VS top brass Comrade JD, I begin with a list of what's inside the imperial palace (and I'm not sure it they are even 'complete'):

VR-11 SEs up front biamped with VAC Signatures (mids, treble) and VTL Siegrieds (bass)
VR-9 SEs bringing up the rear biamped with Lamm M1.2 reference (mids and treble) and M2.2 (bass)
Sources are TW Black Knight and TW AC-3, Emmlabs CDSD, DAC 6, Switchman 3
Preamplification VTL 7.5 Series 2
Phono stages Tron 7, Lamm LP2, ARC Reference
Arms Grandeeza, Phantom, Triplanar VII, TW, Kuzma 4-point, Shroeder
Carts Koetsu Blue Lace, XV-1s, XV-1t, M.Y. Sonic Labs Ultra Eminent, Grandeeza, Allearts MC-1 and some others.
Cabling Kubala Sosna Elation (front and analog sources) and Emotion (rear and digital)
Power Cables Shunyata King Cobras and Anacondas, Taipan (Subwoofer PCs)
LFE JL Gotham not sure what model but the one with the twin 18" I think
Vibration Isolation 12 levels of CMS Black Diamonds (not yet on website)

Room over 100 sq/m with 4m ceiling height custom designed and built by Tracks Acoustics. RT60 .40. Whisper quiet. We where playing around whispering to each other from 20 feet away. Custom AC ducting. 50kVA voltage regulation and 17 dedicated lines.

The analog 'combinations':

Triplanar U2 - Koetsu Blue Lace
Graham B-44 Phantom II - Dynavector DRT XV-1t
Kuzma 4 Point - Ortofon A90
TW Acustic - MY Sonic Labs Ultra Eminent BC
Schroeder - Jan Allearts MC 1
Da Vinci Grandezza Grand Reference - Grandezza Grand Reference MC
jadis
Legend
Legend

"HAIL TO THE EMPEROR" - The VS VR-11's

Postby jadis » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:25 pm

PRESENTING...THE VIEW OF 'THE ROOM':

7'6" TALL, THE 'YAO MING' OF LOUDSPEAKERS... :lol:

A 'LILLIPUTIAN'S' VIEW FROM THE BOTTOM: :lol:

THE VR-9SE AS REAR SPEAKERS FOR SACD 5.1 APPLICATION:

SEMI-FISHEYE VIEW INTO THE LISTENING AREA AND LP RACK AREA: (OH WHAT A SIGHT!)

THE 4-ARMED SWORDMAN, I MEAN, TW TABLE... :lol:

THE 2-ARMED 'BROTHER'...

THE KEVIN HAYES MASTERPIECE, 450 WATT MONO BLOCKS FROM VAC, WITH SEPARATE POWER SUPPLY:

THE EMT PROFESSIONAL JPA-66 PRE-AMP:

THE WHOLE 'KABOODLE'... :lol:

NEXT UP....THE SOUND OF MUSIC.... :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Tjaderman » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:04 pm

:| Whew!!!! :clap: :clap: :rock: :rock:
Tjaderman
Citizen
Citizen

"HAIL TO THE EMPEROR" - The VS VR-11's

Postby jadis » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:33 pm

THE SOUND OF MUSIC

How amazing it is to me, that a week ago I had my first visit to the 'Subterranean Lair' and as awestruck that I already was, this afternoon, I had a chance to finally step into the 'Imperial Lair' or 'The Emperor's Music Palace. It is one, literally. To say I was awestruck now becomes an understatement. I was speechless just seeing a house built specially for the sake, and love of music. The green lawn in front of the 'music house' gives it such a cool character. And I had not even entered the 'room'.

Upon entering the room, I am chilled by the 20 degree centralized aircon, there were dim lights reminiscent of those warm cozy pubs, so much so that upon enter I could not see the Emperor but I could hear him calling me, much to my consternation. :lol: Finally I located him and took a moment to 'size up' the room. 14 feet high ceiling! 8.5m. W x 12.5mL room! 106 square meters! More than twice my room's size. :o Space, space, space! And space is what the VR-11SEs need and want. They breath, and they emote accordingly. The power amps that drive the speakers are beastly too. 450 tubes watts for the mid/highs, and 800 watts for the mid bass, and thousands of watts (I lost track) for the 4 15" back firing subwoofers. The weight of each tower is close to 700 pounds! The Emperor has long studied the bi-amping of this system and had carefully mated them to into a seamless sound, from top to bottom. It is amazing.

THE MUSIC:

The Emperor put in a Columbia/SAX classical orchestral piece, and I was mesmerized instantly with the eerie presentation that reminded me of live performances I had attended in the past. The stage is spooky, with instruments floating in air, and musicians playing their instruments clearly and concisely. It is rare to hear such precision in such LARGE SCALE, that is the main difference here with others I have heard. The music is laid back, relaxed yet there is a sense of it communicating with the listener. It grips you without 'bite' nor calling your attention. It simply conveys. Again, I have to put my thinking caps on, which is what I have feared since entering the Subterranean Lair. I knew it would happen somehow. :lol: The seamless-ness of the music is not only top to bottom but lateral, from left to right - the instruments that sprout out are so balanced from left to right it looked like a scripted presentation. And that was just listening to the first piece. :o

Next, I requested to play an O.W.N record, DNA-linked to me, that is, it leaves with me wherever I go. :D PIG'S EYE JAZZ. A record quite obscure but so advanced in its time. I know it has to be played in a full range dynamic system to fully appreciate its qualities. My 'half-range' Maggies are not up to the task. I want to hear it in a 'Stealth-like' system. Fast and furious. And lo and behold, at the drop of the Da Vinci cartridge, the recording sprung to like. Dixieland New Orleans type of jazz. You remember the 'steamboat', you remember the Disneyland parades that played this kind of music. It's as real as it gets. The tuba, trombone, bass clarinet, piano, drums, guitar all came to life, sequence by sequence and note by note. The delineation is so spectacularly clear. The music is rhythmic and next thing I heard was the Emperor was about to 'de-own' the Pig's Eye but I had to profess the sanctity of the DNA-OWN rule. :lol: It was an utterly impressive presentation, coming from the system. We had to hear the record 3 times, on different analog combinations, to size up the character of the recording. There was one that clearly stood out.

And time came for the mids to be heard. None other than an original 6-eye CBS Johnny Mathis 'Heavenly' was put to the task. On the Koetsu Blue Lace, without the need for self-inhibition, :lol: the verdict simply was 'heavenly'. The smoothness reminded me of the quality of an electrostatic loudspeaker, such transparency and musicality as the singing went on. Liquid sunlight. My final request was to play an all-time favorite, a Nimbus Supercut of Dave Grusin's Mountain Dance. Everything was in there, it's almost like one can 'see' the musicians in the studio, a 'you-are-there' feeling. There was never a point where the details would jump into the listener, thereby calling attention to itself, yet the musical details were there, with terrific top to bottom cohesion, and clearly portraying the keyboard wizardry of Dave Grusin and the rest of his gang. Wow. And the afternoon had to end, as quickly as it started, and hopefully until the next session. These are just my initial insights, and I wanted to put them through lest I forget them. I always say first impression lasts. And this is my first impression of the VR-11SE, a magnificent work of art and engineering, able to convey what is in the source material, faithfully and accurately. My thanks to the Emperor for graciously hosting me to an unforgettable afternoon to the sound of music. :clap:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby O.D. Yeo » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:45 pm

WOW!!!
O.D. Yeo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:46 pm

jadis wrote:THE 4-ARMED SWORDMAN, I MEAN, TW TABLE... :lol:

THE 2-ARMED 'BROTHER'...

Yeah, baby, yeah! :rock: :rock: :rock:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby dimfer » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:32 am

excellent reporting Mr Jadis.. thank you.

wala akong masabi about sa setup ni Emperor... simply stunning.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby randybarba » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:46 am

Thanks for sharing Phil. Awesome set-up indeed :rock: Must be really close to hearing a live performance :)
randybarba
Fanatic
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner