Lenco's R Us

classic analog rigs Thorens, Garrard, Lenco, EMT, etc..

Moderators: setup1, setup2

Lenco's R Us

Postby Mamimili » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:16 am

Here's mine, an 88.
It's in the UK, purchased on UK eBay. It looked good so i did not want to risk mailing it, my family confirmed it is very clean so i assume this eBay photo is the actual unit i purchased.
I intend to evolve my mono system around this TT, but it will also have a stereo arm for double duty.
Once set up, i will limit my Malaysian system to the 88 and the bling bling ninja, and sell the leftover TT's (except my 1st DIY TT) to fund mono BP purchases.
Mamimili
Master
Master

Re: Lenco's R Us

Postby tenderobject » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:04 pm

hey mate,

was reading the td124 thread a while ago.. then it made me kinda interested with lenco turntables and other vintage turntables.
do you know what model should i go for (if i decided to buy lenco)? ehe im trying to find cheap one on ebay haha
how much does your 88 model ends on ebay? i saw one which will end in 3 days but in 10k pesos range now.
but theres a lot. L78 (looks cool!), l450, l76, gl75 and tons more out there. dunno which/where to start.
didn't knew theres a lot of alternative vintage turntables out there. i own 1 at6 garrard. not that expensive but im very happy with it.
hpefully i could get a new tt early nextyear. maybe lenco or something else. :)
tenderobject
Master
Master

Postby kabubi » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:28 pm

Tender O,

join the Lenco group and you wont be disapppointed. the 88 is very rare and if you can get it for 10k then you hit the jackpot. the other model you should look out for is the L75 which has gained a cult following among many. the best thing about the Lenco is that it is very very tweakable. a L75 for 10k is also a steal.

you just have to consider the fact that a brand or TT with no less than 3 websites devoted to it must be good, eh? an old audiophile named Arthur Flores has owned many turntables but the one he has kept is a Lenco Direct Drive which he swears by. Edwin from Singapore recently plunged to the Dark Side (Analog) and guess what TT he opted for? a Lenco! to think this guy comes across the best and most expensive that the Singapore audio culture can produce.

isipin mo na rin lang, si Joseph Esmilla merong L75...

you'll have a lot of fun with them Lencos, bro. imagine, in the near future, may Lomo ka na, may Lenco ka pa! di ka na malalayo sa mga 301 at 124 sa labanan. di rin imposible na kung ma-hotrod mo ng maayos ang Lenco mo, masilat mo ang ibang 301 or 124 diyan.

malapit nang matapos ang rubber plinth Lenco ni Ka Rene. oras na mabuo yun, takbo ka sa Calatagan at mag-salang ka ng kaplaks at matatanto mo yung pambubuyo ko sayo :)

ano pa hinihintay mo, BID NA SA e-Bay!!!
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby Mamimili » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:42 pm

tenderobject wrote:hey mate,

was reading the td124 thread a while ago.. then it made me kinda interested with lenco turntables and other vintage turntables.
do you know what model should i go for (if i decided to buy lenco)? ehe im trying to find cheap one on ebay haha
how much does your 88 model ends on ebay? i saw one which will end in 3 days but in 10k pesos range now.
but theres a lot. L78 (looks cool!), l450, l76, gl75 and tons more out there. dunno which/where to start.
didn't knew theres a lot of alternative vintage turntables out there. i own 1 at6 garrard. not that expensive but im very happy with it.

Heya

I think the L75 is the best bet for the best price, and the UK seems to have the lowest prices. (A few years ago less than $20 for mint :( )
Also look for rebadged Lenco's as supplied by Dynatron, Braun, Grundig and Bogen. There are more brand names using Lenco but i forget who they are.
I know Dynatron left the TT badged as Lenco, come in a nice wooden plinth, with or without a built in tuner

88 and 99 prices are going up, saw an 88 last month that sold for $701....

Of course there is always the Technics SL1200 :clap:
Good luck....
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby tenderobject » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:53 pm

kabubi wrote:Tender O,

join the Lenco group and you wont be disapppointed. the 88 is very rare and if you can get it for 10k then you hit the jackpot. the other model you should look out for is the L75 which has gained a cult following among many. the best thing about the Lenco is that it is very very tweakable. a L75 for 10k is also a steal.

you just have to consider the fact that a brand or TT with no less than 3 websites devoted to it must be good, eh? an old audiophile named Arthur Flores has owned many turntables but the one he has kept is a Lenco Direct Drive which he swears by. Edwin from Singapore recently plunged to the Dark Side (Analog) and guess what TT he opted for? a Lenco! to think this guy comes across the best and most expensive that the Singapore audio culture can produce.

isipin mo na rin lang, si Joseph Esmilla merong L75...

you'll have a lot of fun with them Lencos, bro. imagine, in the near future, may Lomo ka na, may Lenco ka pa! di ka na malalayo sa mga 301 at 124 sa labanan. di rin imposible na kung ma-hotrod mo ng maayos ang Lenco mo, masilat mo ang ibang 301 or 124 diyan.

malapit nang matapos ang rubber plinth Lenco ni Ka Rene. oras na mabuo yun, takbo ka sa Calatagan at mag-salang ka ng kaplaks at matatanto mo yung pambubuyo ko sayo :)

ano pa hinihintay mo, BID NA SA e-Bay!!!

ser buboy! thanks a lot! hahaha paslip slip lang ako sa ebay kase more on vintage cameras ang binili ko lately nakakaadik den! si ser JE dami den alam sa mga vintage cams IDOL! hehehe mukhang ok na ako sa mga lumang tt. nasiyahan ako ng husto sa at6 garrard ko kahit inde ganun ka hi end paano pa kaya ang ibang garrard? pero siyempre kailngan maghanap ng ibang alternatives katulad sa cameras.. daming altertives! hopefully next year mapagtuunan ko ng pansin ang audio gears ko. hehe panay cams eh! di na ako naglolomo :P naadik kase ko sa leica, russian cams at german cams. parang sa audio den! parang mas luma mas maganda! hehe

makabisita nga minsan kay ser rene! tagalo ko na inde nagagawa sa calatagan :(

oops edit: whats the difference between L75 and GL75 mga ser? :lol:

gets ko na hehe

Lenco's, including this classic L75 idler wheel model, were sold in different countries all over the world. In Europe they were distributed under the Lenco name (L75), in the United States by Bogen and Benjamin, under their names, and in the UK by Goldring under the name Goldring-Lenco - these Lencos also gained a 'G' in their model naming scheme: the L75 became a GL75 when it set foot in the UK, but regardless of distributor was otherwise identical.
Last edited by tenderobject on Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tenderobject
Master
Master

Postby tenderobject » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:55 pm

Mamimili wrote:

Heya

I think the L75 is the best bet for the best price, and the UK seems to have the lowest prices. (A few years ago less than $20 for mint :( )
Also look for rebadged Lenco's as supplied by Dynatron, Braun, Grundig and Bogen. There are more brand names using Lenco but i forget who they are.
I know Dynatron left the TT badged as Lenco, come in a nice wooden plinth, with or without a built in tuner

Good luck....

ahay! thanks a lot mate!
tenderobject
Master
Master

Postby obi » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:56 pm

any chance someone locally-based is selling an entry level stock unit? ;)

thanks
obi
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Mamimili » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:06 pm

tenderobject wrote:
Mamimili wrote:

Heya

Good luck....

ahay! thanks a lot mate!

Cheers Tenderobject :D
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby setup1 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:07 pm

OK guys, here's the catch on Lencos. It is very affordable in EU but because of the design there's no easy way to convert from 50HZ to 60HZ - the conical shaft that drives the idler is built into the motor armature. Very few Lencos were sold in the USA thus prices are high. Canada imported more but then they've all been snapped up because Jean Nantais is Canadian.

My recommendation is to look at 60hz models from the USA, particularly Rek-O-Kut, studio type Russco/QRK/Harris/Sparta and vintage Japanese OEM idler driven TTs like Neat and etc.

je
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:45 pm

setup1 wrote:OK guys, here's the catch on Lencos. It is very affordable in EU but because of the design there's no easy way to convert from 50HZ to 60HZ - the conical shaft that drives the idler is built into the motor armature. Very few Lencos were sold in the USA thus prices are high. Canada imported more but then they've all been snapped up because Jean Nantais is Canadian.

My recommendation is to look at 60hz models from the USA, particularly Rek-O-Kut, studio type Russco/QRK/Harris/Sparta and vintage Japanese OEM idler driven TTs like Neat and etc.

je

JE,

That guy with the Philippine Flag avatar must be smiling ear to ear when you mentioned the Rek O Kut :P :D :D :D
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby Mamimili » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:55 pm

Jon Agner wrote:
setup1 wrote:OK guys, here's the catch on Lencos. It is very affordable in EU but because of the design there's no easy way to convert from 50HZ to 60HZ - the conical shaft that drives the idler is built into the motor armature. Very few Lencos were sold in the USA thus prices are high. Canada imported more but then they've all been snapped up because Jean Nantais is Canadian.

je

JE,

That guy with the Philippine Flag avatar must be smiling ear to ear when you mentioned the Rek O Kut :P :D :D :D

The guy with the Malaysia destined Lenco did not blink an eye................
......and never even thought about Hz when he purchased his Lenco :o
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby Mamimili » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

je

Did not think about this!
So, advice needed. What has been done to or for the Lenco's already in the Philippines?
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby Superman » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:48 pm

Lenco L75 owner here...on loan c/o an officemate...problem is - HE WANTS TO KEEP IT, argh! :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby Jon Agner » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:21 pm

Mamimili wrote:

je

Did not think about this!
So, advice needed. What has been done to or for the Lenco's already in the Philippines?

Get a power supply unit that can dish out an AC voltage at pure 60 hz :). I already gave Kabubi an idea on how to go about this. Hopefully, AMX can come up with the PSU design that will suite any type of AC synchronous motor used for turntables. :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby kabubi » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:23 pm

i am lucky (i think) as mine was purchased in the Netherlands. chances are, it may be 60hz.

re the question on a GL75, methinks this is the rebadged "Goldring" Lenco hence, the "G" added to the L75 :?:
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby stereophile » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:30 pm

May I recommend that VD set-up a Lenco's R Us forum. In addition, may I recommend that Paul/Mamimili & Buboy/Kabubi be co-moderators.

What do you think, guys? :)
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby Superman » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:36 pm

stereophile wrote:May I recommend that VD set-up a Lenco's R Us forum. In addition, may I recommend that Paul/Mamimili & Buboy/Kabubi be co-moderators.

AMEN! :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby Verdugo » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:39 pm

i am lucky (i think) as mine was purchased in the Netherlands. chances are, it may be 60hz.
Not to burst your bubble but Euro is 50Hz
Verdugo

Postby tenderobject » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:50 pm

stereophile wrote:May I recommend that VD set-up a Lenco's R Us forum. In addition, may I recommend that Paul/Mamimili & Buboy/Kabubi be co-moderators.

ok ito doc! para mas marami pa ako matutunan about lenco :)
tenderobject
Master
Master

Postby kabubi » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:53 pm

Verdugo wrote:
Not to burst your bubble but Euro is 50Hz

*ulk* :(

time to call Andrew Sevilla :)

PS. i'd love to have a Lenco forum here in WS! thanx for the gesture, Lito :)
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Next

Return to IDLER TURNTABLES