Goodmans Axiom 201

Altec Open Baffles, etc.

Goodmans Axiom 201

Postby Mamimili » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:38 pm

Impressed and inspired by the OB's in the SetUp room, i finally got around to making an OB for a future mono system.
I used a Goodmans Axiom 201, no crossover.

The baffle is some sort of sound proofing board that i had lying around. Size is 36"x32" so i did not bother to trim 1/2" off each dimension per the drawings i have seen on the net. It's leaning against a chair right now at an angle of 12 degrees, i should have the wings/supports finished tomorrow.

I cannot quite believe how natural and detailed this speaker sounds :D :o :D
I do not have any instruments so i cannot take any measurements, but using a 30 watt SS amp i am only turning the volume up to about 25% to achieve a very loud sound that is not distorted.
There is depth, and a slight vertical sound stage but zero sound stage width. Very point source sound, i assume this is because i am using a stereo amp with the speaker selection switch set to L+R.
First test was with the speaker center line 13" off the floor, way too much bass for me, the ceiling vibrated and i could hear bass boom from all angles.
I turned the board around and the sound dropped into place. Amazing, if i had not heard it myself i doubt i would have believed this to be possible.

I have only used CD's so far, i had played 5 cd's before i realised the passage of time, this has to say something about how pleased i am with the sound quality.
Total cost so far is just under $40, this will increase as a vintage mono tone arm, cartridge and amp are now on my rapidly expanding Must Have Want List

I am thinking about using spruce for the final baffle, or has anyone tried glass? (Thinking about black tinted glass or acrylic)

To speed up the process, can i use a mono cartridge on a stereo arm and just ignore the headshell leads for one channel? Then just connect the OB to the appropriate channel?
Mamimili
Master
Master

Re: Goodmans Axiom 201

Postby kabubi » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:55 pm

hello my good man :D

i'm glad you finally got around to using you Goodman drivers although i'm presuming this will be a fixture in your Malaysia abode.
Congratulations, nonetheless!

k
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby Superman » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:37 am

CONGRATULATIONS, Paul! :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby amandarae » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:14 am

Nice one Paul!

Amps are next?
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Mamimili » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:36 am

kabubi wrote:hello my good man :D

i'm glad you finally got around to using you Goodman drivers although i'm presuming this will be a fixture in your Malaysia abode.
Congratulations, nonetheless!

k

Let's just say i know when to do what i am told, the benefits are worth it :rofl:

But i am looking for another 201 for Manila, i want to compare to the Altecs! (or i find an Altec XXX to compare in KL)
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby Mamimili » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:38 am

Superman wrote:CONGRATULATIONS, Paul! :D

Cheers Jen :D
I like the feeling of going in a "new" direction, even better when i get instant satisfaction for very little effort :rofl:
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby Mamimili » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:52 am

amandarae wrote:Nice one Paul!

Amps are next?

Inevitable Abe :D
Any suggestions that will not break the bank? Preferably tubed.......

I will try one of my Dynakit's first but don't really want to break up the pair permanently.
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby obi » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:05 am

congratulations for the OB :clap: (ob user myself, stereo though).
obi
Citizen
Citizen

Postby amandarae » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:07 am

Mamimili wrote:

Amps are next?

I will try one of my Dynakit's first but don't really want to break up the pair permanently.

I see. Keep the Dynakits together, breaking up classics is a form of heresy in our world.

Do you have any favorite tubes in mind? What is the sensitivity of your driver? If El 84 and 2 watts mono/stereo is fine, you can build one for a song
http://www.decware.com/newsite/diy.html

Look for Zkit 2

If not, you know my biases, you can build one channel of JE's (Joseph Esmilla) 300B single ended amp or the simple 2A3/45. In my application, I already built the Simple 2A3 and 2A3DX of Joseph's design. After my vacation, I will build the 300B SE (already have the chassis and Power Transformer). I can honestly say, that implemented correctly per JE's circuit, the amps are mighty fine and I am very happy to the point where I can say that I had probably seen my "last days" of buying commercial amps.

Again, Congratulations! In this case, I am confident to say that the grass is truly "greener" in this side of the fence.

regards,

Abe
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby kabubi » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:11 am

amandarae wrote:the amps are mighty fine and I am very happy to the point where I can say that I had probably seen my "last days" of buying commercial amps.

Again, Congratulations! In this case, I am confident to say that the grass is truly "greener" in this side of the fence.

regards,

Abe

what a great comment. it's so..."there" :D
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby amandarae » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:11 am

To speed up the process, can i use a mono cartridge on a stereo arm and just ignore the headshell leads for one channel? Then just connect the OB to the appropriate channel?

Yes! No need to ignore the other two pins. You just piggy back the Red and White (assuming Red for R and white for l channel)on one pin and the two negative phase on the other pin.

regards,

Abe
Last edited by amandarae on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby amandarae » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:15 am

kabubi wrote:
amandarae wrote:the amps are mighty fine and I am very happy to the point where I can say that I had probably seen my "last days" of buying commercial amps.

regards,

Abe

what a great comment. it's so..."there" :D

Kabubs,

Right on! Never doubt for a second about how sharp your "wit" works eversince I stumbled reading your past messages in this board.

regards,

Abe
Last edited by amandarae on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Mamimili » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:17 am

obi wrote:congratulations for the OB :clap: (ob user myself, stereo though).

Cheers, mono was the intent, but i am sure stereo will also happen at some point in the future......
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby zetroce » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:25 am

Congratulations Paul!!! :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

Try looking for the Grey arm or as Joel mentioned, the Japanese copy of it. Please see below photo taken during the Hi-Fi Show:

I believe you already have alot of Mono albums you cannot wait to play in your mono setup! ;)
Last edited by zetroce on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
zetroce
Master
Master

Postby Mamimili » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:37 am

amandarae wrote:
Mamimili wrote:

Amps are next?

I see. Keep the Dynakits together, breaking up classics is a form of heresy in our world.

Do you have any favorite tubes in mind? What is the sensitivity of your driver? If El 84 and 2 watts mono/stereo is fine, you can build one for a song
http://www.decware.com/newsite/diy.html

Look for Zkit 2

If not, you know my biases, you can build one channel of JE's (Joseph Esmilla) 300B single ended amp or the simple 2A3/45. In my application, I already built the Simple 2A3 and 2A3DX of Joseph's design. After my vacation, I will build the 300B SE (already have the chassis and Power Transformer). I can honestly say, that implemented correctly per JE's circuit, the amps are mighty fine and I am very happy to the point where I can say that I had probably seen my "last days" of buying commercial amps.

regards,

Abe

Thanks Abe.

I spent a few enjoyable hours on Joseph's website last night!
I have a heavy work load until Christmas so plenty of time to work out my options.
I do prefer the DIY route 8)
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby Mamimili » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:45 am

zetroce wrote:Congratulations Paul!!! :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

Try looking for the Grey arm or as Joel mentioned, the Japanese copy of it. Please see below photo taken during the Hi-Hi Show:

I believe you already have alot of Mono albums you cannot wait to play in your mono setup! ;)

Cheers Dong!
I had a good look at the arm during the show and have been staring at the photo (a lot!).
I already have the option/extra arm weight, now i just need an arm to put it on :rofl:

Spot on, i have plenty of classical, blues, Beatles and Stones mono albums waiting to be played :)
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby kabubi » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:27 pm

Mamimili wrote:
zetroce wrote:Congratulations Paul!!! :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

Try looking for the Grey arm or as Joel mentioned, the Japanese copy of it. Please see below photo taken during the Hi-Hi Show:

I had a good look at the arm during the show and have been staring at the photo (a lot!).
I already have the option/extra arm weight, now i just need an arm to put it on :rofl:

take a good look of this picture, Paul:

Is this a classic case of "the right arm not knowing what the left arm is doing"? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby hypertriode » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:08 pm

Mamimili wrote:

Amps are next?

Paul, will this do? (read: Paul, pm me for price ]:) )

Heathkit AA-191 3-watt single ended integrated amplifier. Tube complement: 1 x 6BQ5/EL84, 1 x EF86 & ! x 6x4 rectifier :)

hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby pigdog » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:18 pm

Interesting setup paul, i myself have a pair of goodmans but am not sure which model, i do believed these are full range drivers and they are very musical, will work beautifully with push/pull amps such as LEAKS btw can you post a picture of the back of the drivers? i beleived these are made with Alnico drivers Goodmans are still one of the best deals in the market, not expensive but very nice sounding specially if one is going for a vintage british sound. along with the Tannoys and the Vitavox the Goodmans are a venerable classic. congratulations on the setup paul also are these 12 inchers or 15 inch drivers? mine is set up in a standard bass reflect cabinet based on a tannoy lancaster design, unfortunately it is not a good match, however i can tell that it is still a beautiful sounding driver. likewise i dont use a crossover, apparently it is not required
Mamimili wrote:Image

Impressed and inspired by the OB's in the SetUp room, i finally got around to making an OB for a future mono system.
I used a Goodmans Axiom 201, no crossover.

The baffle is some sort of sound proofing board that i had lying around. Size is 36"x32" so i did not bother to trim 1/2" off each dimension per the drawings i have seen on the net. It's leaning against a chair right now at an angle of 12 degrees, i should have the wings/supports finished tomorrow.

I cannot quite believe how natural and detailed this speaker sounds :D :o :D
I do not have any instruments so i cannot take any measurements, but using a 30 watt SS amp i am only turning the volume up to about 25% to achieve a very loud sound that is not distorted.
There is depth, and a slight vertical sound stage but zero sound stage width. Very point source sound, i assume this is because i am using a stereo amp with the speaker selection switch set to L+R.
First test was with the speaker center line 13" off the floor, way too much bass for me, the ceiling vibrated and i could hear bass boom from all angles.
I turned the board around and the sound dropped into place. Amazing, if i had not heard it myself i doubt i would have believed this to be possible.

I have only used CD's so far, i had played 5 cd's before i realised the passage of time, this has to say something about how pleased i am with the sound quality.
Total cost so far is just under $40, this will increase as a vintage mono tone arm, cartridge and amp are now on my rapidly expanding Must Have Want List

I am thinking about using spruce for the final baffle, or has anyone tried glass? (Thinking about black tinted glass or acrylic)

Last edited by pigdog on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby setup1 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:11 pm

Congratulations Paul! I'm glad you liked the OB.

The cheapest route to a mono cartridge is a Stanton 500 with spherical stylus. I don't know if it is available locally but you can find the the V3 version on eBay for about $30. For years I used this cartridge for mono LPs with the coils connected in series - one channel "hot" connected to the other channel "ground" and take the signal out of remaining "hot" and "ground" (the pin that has a ground tab). It isn't tonearm fussy and just about any moderate mass arm tracking at about 3 grams will get you started. The GE RPX and DL102 are heavy cartridges that require massive tonearms which you can set your sights on at a later date.

That Goodmans 201 is a lovely sounding speaker and very efficient! I built this SE71A (750mW) amp for my friend Sherwin in NJ who also owns a pair of 201s.

WIth efficient speakers like the 201, 1W can go very loud. The 605B/OB we exhibited is about 97dB/1W/1.2M and was driven by a 1500mW SE10 amp. Try DIYing an SE amp. The biggest outlay would be a good quality output transformer and desired DHT output tube. I've been impressed with the quality of locally wound power transformers and chokes.

Happy listening!

je
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Next

Return to OPEN BAFFLES