Vinyl in the Mainstream Press

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:18 pm

bayonic wrote:... not mainstream but this is a short documentary on " the world's largest collection " ....

got 3 million dollars ? :)

http://www.vimeo.com/1546186

I think there are similar threads started on this subject :wink:

Anyway, Stereophile Magazine did do an article on Paul Mawhinney on it's May 2008 issue. Seems that he made a mistake of not biting to a US$ 28 million deal offered to him a few years earlier for his entire collection.

In retrospect (the Stereophile author also asked this question)...... what do we do with our collection when we get old?

8)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby TheAnalogSource » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:22 pm

Jon Agner wrote:In retrospect (the Stereophile author also asked this question)...... what do we do with our collection when we get old?

8)

i recently have found a new career in brokering the software collection of retiring audiophiles.... anytime you are ready, jon :lol: :lol: :lol:
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby Mamimili » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:25 pm

halls wrote:
Jon Agner wrote:In retrospect (the Stereophile author also asked this question)...... what do we do with our collection when we get old?

8)

i recently have found a new career in brokering the software collection of retiring audiophiles.... anytime you are ready, jon :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best to catalogue your collection with a price list so your children do not fall prey to the estate clearance people :twisted:
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:26 pm

halls wrote:

8)

Halls,

which one..... digging into the software collection of retiring audiophiles.... or me retiring? :P :lol: :lol:
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby merlin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:42 pm

Jon Agner wrote:
halls wrote:

8)

Halls,

which one..... digging into the software collection of retiring audiophiles.... or me retiring? :P :lol: :lol:

Better to retire from work :lol: :twisted:
merlin
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:43 pm

merlin wrote:
Jon Agner wrote:
halls wrote:

8)

Halls,

Better to retire from work :lol: :twisted:

Can't retire from work...... my retirement fund can't support the hobby :(
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:45 pm

Mamimili wrote:
halls wrote:

8)

Best to catalogue your collection with a price list so your children do not fall prey to the estate clearance people :twisted:

Paul,

after your done with your catalog, send it to Halls so he can broker the sale of your collection when required to :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby TheAnalogSource » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:50 pm

Jon Agner wrote:
Mamimili wrote:
halls wrote:

8)

Paul,

after your done with your catalog, send it to Halls so he can broker the sale of your collection when required to :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

with my appraisal, the retiring audiophile is not a bit shortchanged. dba jon??? :wink: :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:01 pm

Halls,

Yup, retiring audiophiles would be VERY happy with your appraisal :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:01 am

VINYL IS COOL AGAIN! :lol:

I mean at least with the teeners and 20 somethings. :lol: See the Penshoppe billboard near Ayala some months back? Here's a vid from platinum selling band Paramore. We're growing a new generation of Piranhas and Sharks! :twisted:

JackD201
Immortal

Re:

Postby Jon Agner » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:48 pm

JackD201 wrote:VINYL IS COOL AGAIN! :lol:

I mean at least with the teeners and 20 somethings. :lol: See the Penshoppe billboard near Ayala some months back? Here's a vid from platinum selling band Paramore. We're growing a new generation of Piranhas and Sharks! :twisted:

Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Re:

Postby bayonic » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:09 am

I mean at least with the teeners and 20 somethings. :lol:

I recently watched the Nancy Drew DVD with my grade school kids ...
there was one scene there where the Nancy Drew character said ... " Downloading's cool but nothing beats vinyl" ... and proceeded to cue a record :clap: :clap: :clap:

felt like a cool old geezer for a minute there :)
bayonic
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Re:

Postby JackD201 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:51 am

bayonic wrote:

there was one scene there where the Nancy Drew character said ... " Downloading's cool but nothing beats vinyl" ... and proceeded to cue a record :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cute ba si Nancy Drew? Pinatatanong lang ni Hein :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
JackD201
Immortal

Re: Re:

Postby bayonic » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:47 am

JackD201 wrote:
bayonic wrote:

Cute ba si Nancy Drew? Pinatatanong lang ni Hein :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

young enough to be cute ;) ;) ... but then again, most female holding a 9 inch ......errrmmm ..... tonearm ... would look cute i think :lol: :lol:
bayonic
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Vinyl in the Mainstream Press

Postby undergroundrecords » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:37 pm

Yes those look like vinyl records to me,nice shelves too.
undergroundrecords

Postby bayonic » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:55 am

while there is a thread for the PDI story on the Nov Hi Fi Show ...
here's one about vinyl from the Op-Ed page ...
http://opinion.inquirer.net/inquireropinion/columns/view/20081127-174589/Different-world

some quotable quotes :

I have a musician friend who defines audiophile as someone who has an expensive taste in sound and cheap taste in music, but that’s another story. I leave the audiophiles, self-styled or otherwise, to debate the point.

With a CD, conversation is near-impossible at a certain volume. What comes out of the speakers is a wall of sound that rams into you. With a vinyl, conversation is easy even at loud volumes. There’s a certain quality to the sound that enables it to not occupy all the spaces around you but to weave through those spaces like a wisp.

It ( using vinyl ) entails (re)entering a fairly unhurried world, where you invest some time listening to music, treating it as a real object of attention rather than collateral sound. And there’s the rub. That seems an anachronism in today’s world.

Listening to vinyl is not unlike preparing tea Zen-style. It is a ritual all its own.

At the very most, well, I may sound like a broken record (an idiom rarely used now), but if you like to pause every so often to truly listen to what you’re playing, you’ll find still nothing beats the anachronistic old record, preferably unbroken.

You’ll find that the difference between listening to it and listening to an iPod is the difference between “Ode to Joy” and “Ode to Pain.”
bayonic
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rafael montalvo » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:13 am

The PDI column was written by the venerable Conrado de Quiros. Cool, very cool.
rafael montalvo
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Mamimili » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:03 pm

more good news:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7750581.stm

also a "live report" shown on the BBC news around 15 or 20 minutes past the hour
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby KD » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:56 am

The best turntable $64,000 can buy?

By Brandon Griggs
CNN

LAS VEGAS, Nevada (CNN) -- Attention audiophiles, old-school vinyl listeners and the very rich: Do we have a piece of stereo equipment for you.

Angelis Labor's Gabriel turntable is made from bronze and steel and can be customized with up to four arms.

It's called the Gabriel Turntable, and you won't find it at Wal-Mart. Crafted in limited editions by an Italian company that will engrave each buyer's name on it, the Gabriel is to a Kenner Close 'N Play what a Ferrari is to a Yugo.

"When I look at it," said Placido Pappalardo, co-owner of maker Angelis Labor, "the only word that comes to mind is love."

Angelis Labor executives proudly unveiled their turntable last week at the International Consumer Electronics Show, where its retro appearance and mechanical design set it apart from the cacophony of digital gadgets on display. That, and the price: up to $64,000, depending on which model is ordered.

The Gabriel is made from aluminum, bronze and stainless steel and can be customized with up to four arms. Each arm is made in a Modena, Italy, factory that also builds Ferrari parts. A one-armed model costs about $27,000, while a four-armed version runs for $64,000, including installation.
KD
Legend
Legend

Still spinning

Postby KD » Sat May 02, 2009 2:50 pm

Vinyl records firm presses on

Louis Aguilar / The Detroit News

Detroit -- If ever a National Register of Historic, Cool, Hard-core, 20th-Century Machinery is created, Archer Record Pressing would be a landmark.

Archer is one of the last companies in the world still making vinyl records -- a technology the corporate music industry decided to banish four decades ago.

This third-generation family business doesn't fear the death of vinyl: There's always a subculture of musicians that want their work on albums. Archer fears its massive record machines will die. And the machines constantly break down.

"We rely on the best of 1970s technology," said Joe Archer, whose father Norm, started the business in 1965.

The company has no choice. The last record-making machine is believed to have been made in 1986, according to various Web sites dedicated to vinyl records.

The five presses at Archer were bought from the other record press companies that went under decades ago.

A sole company in North America sells the specialized parts for the machines. At its core, a record-making machine is a hydraulic press with a closing force of 100 tons. It has steam pipes, tubes, buttons, motors, molds and mechanical doo-dads specific to mass-producing vinyl.

In operation, the machines produce a kind of score of heavy industry sounds. The boom of the press can be heard a half-block away. There's a rhythm of hissing steam, a hydraulic whoosh, a high-pitched metallic slice, the low rumble of a generator.

Few know how to fix the record machines. One is Mike Archer, 43, who learned by growing up watching Joe, his father, fix them.

"It's a daily battle," Mike Archer said. "They're finicky machines. If your scrap rate starts going up, you start looking at the press and say, 'All right, what are you doing to me today?'" Scrap rate refers to the number of defective records.

Full story here.
KD
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Analog