This is headphone madness!

iPod, walkman, headphones, earphones, boomboxes, etc...

Moderator: dogears

Postby Racio » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:51 am

onedown wrote:hey racio,

looks like you're really enjoying the joys of headfi. three amps [you still have your consonance, right?], plus five phones [or even more?]. what more can i say? :D

Yeah, my once dormant passion for audio seems to be burning intensely again. Reason why I got new cans is that the ageing pads on my AT AD300 went kaput on me, the foam/velvet pads have crumbled somehow, and on top of that, the rechargeable batteries on my Senn wireless are whacked as well. :? So I got a pair of Senn PX100 about a month ago just to tie me over 'till I find the cans I'd end up with. And now they've become mainstays on my son's iPod, he loves 'em like crazy. hehe

Well, I've been actually itching to dig up them Consonance Cyber 30 SET amp from retirement, and I might just do it this weekend (I've to ravage thru all my stuff in our stockroom, that'd give the missus a headache for sure. hehe).

There's a plethora of Grado/Alessandro mods in head-fi.org, but so far, I've only tried the scotch tape-around the foam pads mod and I was quite surprised that it actually works! I don't think I've earned my Grado stripes yet to do them major modifcations, so I'm sticking with pad mods for now. :wink:

By the way, talking about mods, got to mention that to reduce my Millett’s inherent sensitivity to tube microphonics (it's a bit sensitive to tapping), I wrapped its chassis with double sided foam mounting tapes (the black 3M versions) and covered the whole thing with soft black leatherette and stuck 3 clear 3M bump-ons beneath. Not only that it's now isolated from vibrations, ang pogi pa! hehe. :lol: On the Mini3 I wrapped its chassis with wood-look film just for aesthetics, pero naku, ang pogi rin! :lol:

onedown wrote:try to get some sleep though, pal. :D

Sleep?.... what is "sleep"? Is it some sort of a hypothetical conjecture, conspiracy theory or an urban legend, please elucidate? :lol:

iceman90a wrote:back with a vengeance :lol:

Hey Ice, I sure am glad to be back man (though slowly, I think I'm getting there). :wink:

dogears wrote:Madness???!!! I can't get that STAX out of my mind?! Madness???!!!
:lol:

tsk tsk tsk... Wag na muna yang Stax Stax pre... di pa nga tayo retired eh. hehehe :twisted:
Racio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby onedown » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:36 am

nice to know that you're back into audio.

digging up the cyber this weekend? you mean the fight's gonna take a backseat?

for grado/alessandro mods, have you tried using senn pads?

next step would be the GraDOG mod.

looking at the time stamp of your reply, it looks like sleep exists only in the matrix. :D
onedown
Master
Master

Postby Racio » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:37 pm

onedown wrote:nice to know that you're back into audio.

digging up the cyber this weekend? you mean the fight's gonna take a backseat?

Yeah, I guess you're right, better postpone it then. I'm having so much fun with the Millett-Alessandro, I'm in no rush. :wink:

onedown wrote:for grado/alessandro mods, have you tried using senn pads?

I haven't tried the Senn pads yet (I can't find a readily available local source), however, I'm already using the "flat pads" from TTVJ. These are the original pads of RS1's of yore, not the stock bowl pads (which I've already stashed away for permanent retirement. hehe) . Btw, I also have the "comfy pads" that comes stock with the SR60s but I've yet to try 'em. They are rather soft and fluffy but without a hole at the center unlike the flats and bowls. Once I've thought of a way to make a perfectly clean hole cut on the comfy pads then perhaps I'll try them on.

onedown wrote:next step would be the GraDOG mod.

I'm still trying to gather enough courage to do what Moises did. Perhaps down the road I might recable, put stereo jacks (for easy cable rolling), replace the stock rear wire mesh with a mesh with bigger gaps, put "liberators" (I've no idea how to go about this), for aesthetics I might try re-stain the wooden chamber to something darker and change the leather head strap to the original chocolate brown of the 1st batch of RS1s. (dumami yata! hehehe) :lol:

onedown wrote:looking at the time stamp of your reply, it looks like sleep exists only in the matrix. :D

I'm sure you know what I mean by... the perfect music... the incredible synergy... then bang!.... the elated feeling of being there... you reach a state where you're totally oblivious to everything around you... your adrenaline rush in though you're totally at peace... you slip away to a world of your own where nothing matters... man, I can do this forever 8)
Racio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jetm » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:15 am

nice gear, congrats!

Racio wrote:I got hold of the Victor IEMs to save the li'l missus from further embarrassment (people seem to stare at me whilst walking around HK with my A-Ts on

dear portables amigos,

please do not stop this behavior (walking around with big phones), we have to make it look normal! :)
jetm
Citizen
Citizen

Postby EsoTec » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:23 am

Seriously guys, we can't call this madness yet. We are barely scratching the surface here and there is just so much more out there. A word of caution though, there is a line that one crosses, where i-pod and mp3 files as source simply will not do, and big cans are a must...
That line is called the Beta 22. Also shown here - Marantz CD63KI Sig CD Player, Stello DA-100 Upsampling DAC, Trends UD-10 USB-Digital Interface, Ken's much underrated but overachieving AKG-601's and top dog 03 Beyer 880 250ohms, Etymotic ER4s. Amp casing not fully done, still burning-in, more to follow. :D
EsoTec
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dogears » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:41 am

Hey, congrats esotec for bagging the akg-601 :)
dogears
Master
Master

Postby EsoTec » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:31 am

dogears wrote:Hey, congrats esotec for bagging the akg-601 :)

Not quite yet sir, still evaluating. :twisted: Later this week hopefully i can compare it to its more popular big brother the 701 :shock:. And then we will know if it truly is a worthy (and cheaper) alternative. Or if we should all just wait (and save up) for this......
EsoTec
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dogears » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:07 pm

^Baka meron na si Sir Ken niyan?

And we were serious that it was [headphone] madness :wink:
dogears
Master
Master

Postby Racio » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:20 pm

EsoTec wrote:Seriously guys, we can't call this madness yet. We are barely scratching the surface here and there is just so much more out there. A word of caution though, there is a line that one crosses, where i-pod and mp3 files as source simply will not do, and big cans are a must...
-snipped-

Hey Esotec,

I think Mad Dog Moises' "Madness" reference is to Ken's gorgeous herd of cans, and believe you me, on this side of the equator, if that wasn't madness, I don't know what is. My own reference was to my recent sleep depravation, which according to my wife and kids, IS "madness"! :lol: hehe.

But of course, if we are to relate ourselves to the scale of head-fi's vast scope, we'd be but a measly spec in its whole context.

Personally, my own take on this is that if I can't take and listen to my cans while riding on a plane, driving around in my car, walking about the garage and down & up the stairs, into the bedroom, and what the hell, while even doing number 2 on the bowl, then it ain't "portable" at all. But that's just me. :D

jetm wrote:dear portables amigos,

please do not stop this behavior (walking around with big phones), we have to make it look normal! :)

Hear hear! Convert here! 8)

P.S. Ken, you're right, Apple lossless is definitely better than WAV format (the innate dB gain on WAV does lead to some distortion on the signal)
Racio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Jon Agner » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:23 pm

Uy,

RACIO pala is back from hibernation :D :D :D :D
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby Racio » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:25 pm

dogears wrote:^Baka meron na si Sir Ken niyan?

The K702 are scheduled for release on August pa yata, they're not in the market yet. Ako, I'll wait for the K703 next year, then perhaps yung K704 the year after, then yung.... :wink:
Racio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Racio » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:27 pm

Jon Agner wrote:Uy,

RACIO pala is back from hibernation :D :D :D :D

Hey Jon! Hanggang portables lang muna. I haven't dug up any of my other gears yet. I'm having so much fun as it is :wink:
Racio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dogears » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:56 pm

Racio wrote:

The K702 are scheduled for release on August pa yata, they're not in the market yet. Ako, I'll wait for the K703 next year, then perhaps yung K704 the year after, then yung.... :wink:

Ok, thanks for the info... puro Stax kasi nasa utak ko eh :lol: So malamang si Sir Ken unang magkaroon niyan dito sa Pinas?! Madness!!! :wink:
dogears
Master
Master

Postby kenckn » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:41 pm

dogears wrote:Ok, thanks for the info... puro Stax kasi nasa utak ko eh :lol: So malamang si Sir Ken unang magkaroon niyan dito sa Pinas?! Madness!!! :wink:

Sir Dogears when we can have our HEPA 'MADNESS' headphone meeting? 8)
kenckn
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby kenckn » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:47 pm

I'm more interested of AKG K1000 than K701/702.
K701 is not my cup of tea, my K240M/600 ohm sound better 8)
kenckn
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby EsoTec » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:57 pm

kenckn wrote:

I'm more interested of AKG K1000 than K701/702.
K701 is not my cup of tea, my K240M/600 ohm sound better 8)

Ken, please buy K1000 na so we can schedule the next HEPA meet. :lol:
EsoTec
Citizen
Citizen

Postby kenckn » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:18 pm

EsoTec wrote:Ken, please buy K1000 na so we can schedule the next HEPA meet. :lol:

Sir Mark Choariwap own K1000 :roll: It's hard to find now.
kenckn
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby EsoTec » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:59 am

The last two days without WS were a lot easier for me because fortunately i had the chance to experience the much sought after top tier AKG sound in two flavors....
I want to thank Miniracer and Kencken for sharing their fabulous toys. I'd tell you which one is better, but really at this level it's only a matter of preference. The 601's are warm and engaging, while the 701's are balanced and versatile.
The madness continues....
EsoTec
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dogears » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:17 am

^hi esotec, kindly post your test tracks so we would know which genre are you listening these mighty cans with. TIA!

p.s. which amp are you using to drive the cans?
dogears
Master
Master

Postby onedown » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:30 am

how much are those akgs?
onedown
Master
Master

PreviousNext

Return to Head-Fi