The Subterranean Lair (THE DARK KNIGHT RISES)

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

The Subterranean Lair (THE DARK KNIGHT RISES)

Postby jadis » Fri May 16, 2008 10:05 am

The sight is often seen here in the pages of WS, the evolution and metamorphosis of which has been aptly narrated by the author himself and chief promoter of the Bozanian line, aka the Von Schweikert loudspeaker system. Crown Prince JackD201 unveils the VR-9, Bronze finish edition, to the 'imperial subjects'. :)

Left Wing:

Right Wing:

The 'Cobra':

Looking from bottom to top, it seems that a couple of king cobras have administered a 'cobra clutch' (fans of WWE will know this move) :lol: on the VR 9. The Verbatim cables have done a choke hold that will not yield to anything. :lol:

Frontal:

The Components:

By now, it would be safe to say that Cong. Jack is happily married to the little lamms.

The Front End:

The Vinyl Rack:

And on the Table too...

The 'Subjects' aka VS 'Upgrade Kids':

From the looks of it, Crown Prince Jack is making a 'priviledge speech' on "Upgradititis" while Second Lieutenant Keith agrees heartily. VR Junior owner Dante seems to be calling his 'banker', and Senior VR owner, or VR Senior owner CrisDLS needs a drink first before doing his upgrade to the FIVES or NINES. :lol:

More interested 'subjects':

Doc Randy apparently having his drink already and hence possibly an upgrade plunge. :lol: All seems to curious on what is brewing at the back-end.

And needless to say, 'twas, as always, a fun-filled night with lots of laughs and musical enjoyment. I'm simply amazed that despite the loud volumes of music flowing out of the Nines, the jokes of Cris$$$ still gets to penertrate our ears and evoke bursts of laughter. :shock: It's either the Nines are too unobstrusive or that cris' jokes are too transparent. :lol: Thanks to the VS boys, J and K, for being such great hosts, for the great Espanola food, and the open bar. No 'truth serum' for me, we might slip out our Gestapo and Scottie Yard secrets... :lol: All told, and despite the lack of 'break-in' time, the Nines, I believe by consensus even, performed up to expectations and in magnificent order.
Last edited by jadis on Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby diesel » Fri May 16, 2008 10:44 am

wow wow :shock: kabuhayan showcase.....ay este dream system pala... all star team.. congrats............ :D
kelan kaya makakakinig ng ganung system tenga ko.... :roll:
diesel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby raffy » Fri May 16, 2008 10:50 am

Jack CONGRATS bro! Those frigates sure look mean! Looks like they are sakal na in camp big falcon. It's high time na to upgrade camp big falcon. Kailan nga ba? Can't wait to hear, see, and touch those beasts. Pogi :shock:
raffy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dimfer » Fri May 16, 2008 11:09 am

I think there is a pre-requisite para maging Bozanian - good looks... puro mga guwapo ang mga Bozanian eh.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Oldfogey » Fri May 16, 2008 11:16 am

All I can say is WOW!!!!!! :D :D :D
Oldfogey

Postby dimfer » Fri May 16, 2008 11:16 am

ahem... ahem

ahem... ahem
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby audiofilio » Fri May 16, 2008 11:20 am

A system that could grace the covers of hi-fi magazines. One helluva system sir!
audiofilio
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dante » Fri May 16, 2008 11:32 am

It was a fun night, as usual, with enough free flowing booze to make my liver cringe in terror! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Jack and Keith! It's always good getting together with fellow Bozanians. :wink:
dante
cool dude

Postby Superman » Fri May 16, 2008 11:40 am

WOW! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Superman
Master Showman

Postby audiostar » Fri May 16, 2008 12:44 pm

Sayang na naman I had to pass on the invitation for a very 'important" date :wink: Next time guys, I'll make sure I'd be there :)
audiostar

Location: audio nirvana st., speakers corner ave. music city, mars

Postby amandarae » Fri May 16, 2008 1:52 pm

All I can say is BOHICA Baby!! 8) 8) 8) 8)

Marvelous set up!!

Hey Jack, if one dare to compare their system set up to yours, to me Boheekkaaa is the way to describe the comparison.

Bend Over, Here It Comes Again!!!! :D :D :D

Congratulations!

regards,

Abe
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Fri May 16, 2008 2:28 pm

audiostar wrote:Sayang na naman I had to pass on the invitation for a very 'important" date :wink: Next time guys, I'll make sure I'd be there :)

So I heard, Val. It can be a very 'lethal' day to miss. I myself have been wondering when this date will be 'safe' to miss. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Fri May 16, 2008 6:22 pm

The Emperor's System:

King Neptune's (aka JackD) System:

Lucky there's no Drool emoticons here :D :D :D
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby Mamimili » Fri May 16, 2008 8:24 pm

Hello Jack, a quick question,

Is there a formula for the size and spacing of the wood sound treatment on your side walls?

If not, hey, i have a saw and a drill and i can do that tomorrow :D
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby randybarba » Sat May 17, 2008 6:10 am

Many thanks to Jack for hosting us and giving us a sneak peek of the still- to-be-broken-in VR-9s. Hanep tumunog. Very relaxed with no sense of strain but can be bombastic when called for. Despite its size, there was no hint of boominess. Bass was tight and tuneful even without the use of tube traps. Ano na kaya pag na break-in? I can only imagine. Congrats :!: BTW, maraming salamat for the Police nautilus superdisc. :D

Philip, buti na lang nakainom ako ng wine so I have no recollection of committing to any upgrade plunge :lol: :lol: :lol: . I claim temporary insanity as my alibi :lol: :lol:
randybarba
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Sat May 17, 2008 6:20 am

randybarba wrote:Philip, buti na lang nakainom ako ng wine so I have no recollection of committing to any upgrade plunge :lol: :lol: :lol: . I claim temporary insanity as my alibi :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

now that's another 'benefit' of drinking wine, aside from keeping our hearts pumping well. :D

btw, happy birthday pala, doc. :) what's your b-day gift to yourself? FIVES? :wink:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby randybarba » Sat May 17, 2008 6:39 am

He he. Di ko pa kaya 5's sa ngayon. :lol: Hopefully in the DISTANT future :lol:
randybarba
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby keith » Sat May 17, 2008 12:10 pm

Many thanks guys. You are always welcome!

JackD is incommunicado as his DSL is down. He's hoping he'll be back up and running today.
8)
keith
walastick

Postby JackD201 » Mon May 19, 2008 7:05 pm

It was a pleasure having you guys over. Actually this is sort of a tradition of ours. We call it break-in parties :lol: The whole point is to blast the speakers while nobody gives a hoot about how they sound "raw" because everyone is either too full or too drunk :lol: Trust me it beats a burn in disc everytime! :D

Mamimili wrote:Hello Jack, a quick question,

Is there a formula for the size and spacing of the wood sound treatment on your side walls?

If not, hey, i have a saw and a drill and i can do that tomorrow :D

Hi Paul,

Yes there is a computation but I pretty much eye-balled it. The slats are 1"x1" spaced about 2.5" apart. All isn't as it seems however. These are on falls walls that slant and curve away from the listening position. The further away the slats are the smaller the space the "seen" from the pointsource. The slant/curvature of the walls progressively makes the space nonexistent as far as the tweeters are concerned and become in effect a full reflector and not a diffuser as it is closer to the source.

As far as I know I'm the only one who has used this approach. So how does it work? Taking into consideration the left wall for instance: Close to the speaker the slats break the HF sound waves into large ripples, halfway down the beaming frequencies are trapped in what are essentially boxes with open lids 1"x1" within which some but not all the energy cancels out. Further out it becomes almost a flat plane that just reflects. The large ripples of greatest intensity also being farthest away from the listening position aids in localization by breaking up the first and strongest set of first reflections, the second area somewhat cancels out and the third reflects the signal from the near speaker, in this case speaker L to left and behind of the listening position and reflects the signal from the right speaker right and in front of the listening position. Careful positioning of the speakers however are required so as to minimize phase distortions and comb filtering at the listening position.

Notice I said SET of FIRST REFLECTIONS. Conventional wisdom has it that the first reflection point is where you would see the source (tweeter) in a mirror. I on the other hand consider the entire range of points where amplitude is strongest and fall within the confines of the Haas effect (up to five feet of travel distance). I then broke this area into 3. Why 3? I dunno I just like the number 3 I guess. It's small, it's odd and it's a prime number i like better than 2. maybe because I get a buzz at three beers and a headache with only two! :lol:

So why slats over absorption? They are prettier. That's all. Now this only helps with frequencies some 900hz and up. Something I had to live with until I could get my hands on midrange centered absorbers that fit the bill. Fortunately I was able to source some ASC panels from FLD in sunny Cebu. Behind the walls is foam in 4 sealed enclosures. The original plan was to take a jigsaw and cut away portions of the wall to later turn the wall into helmholtz resonators. The applied geometry however worked against this plan so it was abandoned in favor of the said panels.

There is also a reason why this approach is not exactly widely used. It is use specific. The Lair is VERY narrow and this approach is only really applicable when the loudspeakers are very close together and very far from the listening position. In other words, it isn't for everyone :D

In the end it does help BUT there is no substitution for a room with better dimensions, and while the 9's manage to sound open and layered even now, hearing Emperor's pair spaced much farther apart tells me that good as the system is it is not yet at it's full potential.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jadis » Mon May 19, 2008 7:50 pm

JackD201 wrote:It was a pleasure having you guys over. Actually this is sort of a tradition of ours. We call it break-in parties :lol: The whole point is to blast the speakers while nobody gives a hoot about how they sound "raw" because everyone is either too full or too drunk :lol: Trust me it beats a burn in disc everytime! :D

So desu ka!!!! Arigato gozaimasu for the invitation to this break-in party, Jack. The XLO/Sheffield Lab Burn In Disc CD will never be the same again!!! Or it might never sell again on ebay... :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Next

Return to Jadis' Corner