When You Wish Upon A(udio) Star

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Postby dante » Mon May 05, 2008 8:48 pm

Val, since out of commission analog gear ko for now, dadayo na lang muna ako dyan. Your LP rack is on the way! :wink:
dante
cool dude

Postby pigdog » Mon May 05, 2008 8:51 pm

HEY VAL! you are a real hardcore audio person! wow what a setup!
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby dimfer » Mon May 05, 2008 8:54 pm

Superman wrote:"Trademark" sitting position of Halls, ear level ang tuhod niya :D

this post made my day :lol: :lol: very funny
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby audiostar » Mon May 05, 2008 8:57 pm

dante wrote:Val, since out of commission analog gear ko for now, dadayo na lang muna ako dyan. Your LP rack is on the way! :wink:

Anytime pareng dante. thanks for the LP rack :D
audiostar

Location: audio nirvana st., speakers corner ave. music city, mars

Postby audiostar » Mon May 05, 2008 8:59 pm

pigdog wrote:HEY VAL! you are a real hardcore audio person! wow what a setup!

Thanks Ches. No other vice and nothing could be better :) If you're in town let me invite you to my humble abode :)
audiostar

Postby dimfer » Mon May 05, 2008 9:03 pm

and forgot to mention

nice setup Val.

3 pairs of Cayin mono blocs - is that a WS or world record?
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby audiostar » Mon May 05, 2008 9:07 pm

Tube Newbie wrote:and forgot to mention

nice setup Val.

3 pairs of Cayin mono blocs - is that a WS or world record?

Thanks, 3 pairs is nothing. Mang Bert's (Bacsal) system is mind boggling :)
audiostar

Postby Nelson O » Mon May 05, 2008 9:11 pm

Simply shows the greatness of your passion for music.

Definitely not your everyday 2 channel stereo set up!

AUDIOSTAR ka talaga sir VAL

Congrats :wink:
Nelson O
Citizen
Citizen

Postby audiostar » Mon May 05, 2008 9:14 pm

Nelson O wrote:Simply shows the greatness of your passion for music.

Definitely not your everyday 2 channel stereo set up!

AUDIOSTAR ka talaga sir VAL

Congrats :wink:

Thanks Nelson. Ganyan talaga pag walang magawa :lol: :lol: :lol:
audiostar

Postby audiostar » Mon May 05, 2008 9:27 pm

Guys, let me tell you that JAA's system (which Jadis also featured in this thread) built around the diminutive sequerra NFM pro pairs can surpass the sonic qualities of even the bigger floorstanders and pricey bookshelf speakers. With John's penchant for audio details nothing will be left out. Jadis is right. You wouldn't even notice the speakers, all that is left is the music enveloping the entire listening room. :)
audiostar

Postby JAA » Mon May 05, 2008 9:35 pm

jadis wrote:The day was not finished till we hit the place of JAA, a very good friend of Val, for a nightcap. Only RT, Enteng joined me as Val couldn't join us due to some commitments.

The curio item here is a pair of 'old' boy Sequerra Near Field Monitor or NFM loudspeakers and Sequerra woofer modules from the famed Sequerra Signature speakers of the early 90s. Hooked into bi-amp or tri-amp configuration with a German made supertweeter, the sound it produced was something I was not prepared for.

Again, due to my lack of RAM bits, aka 'plain laziness, :lol: I wish JAA can supply us with the necessary info on all this complicated hook-up, set-up and the like. I stopped memorizing after 'input-ing' Electrocompaniet and Musical Fidelity.. :lol: Oh, I do recall the cartridge is a vintage Fidelity Research FR-1. :D

And I was not prepared to absorb the sound that this system produced. When I walked in and saw the the speaker configuration, I said to myself this was the most un-orthodox method of speaker placement I have seen by far. BUT, when the music played, I was in for some shock as it produced a very coherent and balanced sound that does not consumate or translate to the odd way the the speakers were positioned. And for sure we 3 guests were bowled over by the rock and sock dynamics with little or no sense of fatigue. Playing JAA's valuable 'hot stamplers', the most notible of which was a Sergio Mendez Brazil 66 album called 'Stillness', wow, was I in for some amazing musical treat. These small speakers can rock the house and sound so open like no other. There is virtually no speaker and the soundstage even transcend its dimunitive size. And the James Newton Howard and Friends D2d album just sounds superb on this system. And to think that the bass amp was only 75 watts? :shock: I can't wait for another session with a 100 watt bass amp. Thanks for the time and the hospitality, John.

Thanks Philip for posting your Sunday experience with my friend Val's set-up and my zero WAF system :lol: I'm just a squatter in my mother's family room in Las Pinas and agreed with her to always pack-up my toys after my twice a month visit in her house. :cry:

The odd looking monitor is a limited Sequerra NFM Pro which is the backbone of my system (supplied by Robert Tan).This is where I started my set-up. It's complimented by Sequerra Signature Model 1 woofers in Corian enclosure (RT's stuff too) and a locally assembled German made ribbon type tweeter of Tony Lim, given to me by Val. My front-end is a NOS Fidelity Research FR1 Mk2 mc cart mounted on stock Technics 1210 MK II, and stepped up by a Denon HA 1000. My main control is a very modest Luxman C03B preamp with 2 preamp outputs, 2 MF X10D's in series prior to the Electrocompaniet amp, and a third X10D with Y-output for woofer and tweeter amps. It's also a tri-amp config using an old Electrocompaniet Ampliwire 100 dual mono class A driving the NFM Pro in full range, AMX 15WPC monoblocks for the ribbons, and AMX 200WPC monoblocks for the woofers.

It was untimely on that same day that one of the KT-88 failed! :cry: .....
But Val saved my day by lending me his 75WPC amp to drive the woofers! :D :D :D

As what Enteng said, "It's a continuous learning experience". We do share notes and continuous research on the related theories. Not an easy task but our passion drives us to the correct path. the bottomline is a money well spent! (no aesthetics please :))

Thanks Philip, Robert, Enteng for the visit and comments, and Val for saving my day! :D
JAA
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JAA » Mon May 05, 2008 9:44 pm

audiostar wrote:Guys, let me tell you that JAA's system (which Jadis also featured in this thread) built around the diminutive sequerra NFM pro pairs can surpass the sonic qualities of even the bigger floorstanders and pricey bookshelf speakers. With John's penchant for audio details nothing will be left out. Jadis is right. You wouldn't even notice the speakers, all that is left is the music enveloping the entire listening room. :)

Thanks Val! Matalik na kaibigan ko yan! :lol: :lol: :lol:
JAA
Citizen
Citizen

Postby audiostar » Mon May 05, 2008 10:04 pm

John and I both started out in mobile or car audio, joining competitions losing and winning some. So crazy were we that we had to tune our system up to the wee hours of the morning to be in time with a competition the next day :( It was an experience well worth reliving as it was also the reason why we got infected by this disease called audiophilatist :lol: The things we learned in mobile audio such as level matching using osciloscope, speaker placement and choices of electronics gave us invaluable lessons that we now apply in home audio. They say that the search for audio nirvana never ends; we say it does. One of the pitfalls of this hobby is the failure of the searcher to know what he is looking for :)

Cheers guys :wink:
audiostar

Postby Killer Mike » Mon May 05, 2008 10:15 pm

Very nice Val :D
Killer Mike
Legend
Legend

Postby Nelson O » Mon May 05, 2008 10:33 pm

I'll bet their in for the biggest surprise of their (audio) lives this coming

Sunday! :D
Nelson O
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JAA » Mon May 05, 2008 11:01 pm

audiostar wrote: They say that the search for audio nirvana never ends; we say it does. One of the pitfalls of this hobby is the failure of the searcher to know what he is looking for :)

Exactly Val! You delivered the culminating fact of what many of us is! :shock:

Cheers :)
JAA
Citizen
Citizen

Postby audiostar » Mon May 05, 2008 11:05 pm

Killer Mike wrote:Very nice Val :D

Hey Killer beans, thanks for the acrylic equipment rack :) It adds chutzpah to my system, or to any others, for that matter :)
audiostar

Postby Mamimili » Mon May 05, 2008 11:15 pm

audiostar wrote:One of the pitfalls of this hobby is the failure of the searcher to know what he is looking for :)

I hate being analysed.
The really horrible part is i suspect you are right :( :( :shock: :D 8)
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby bass_nut » Mon May 05, 2008 11:21 pm

audiostar wrote:John and I both started out in mobile or car audio, joining competitions losing and winning some. So crazy were we that we had to tune our system up to the wee hours of the morning to be in time with a competition the next day :( It was an experience well worth reliving as it was also the reason why we got infected by this disease called audiophilatist :lol: The things we learned in mobile audio such as level matching using osciloscope, speaker placement and choices of electronics gave us invaluable lessons that we now apply in home audio. They say that the search for audio nirvana never ends; we say it does. One of the pitfalls of this hobby is the failure of the searcher to know what he is looking for :)

lowering the noise floor by increasing signal level and installing noise killer sheets... adjusting parametric equalizers... tweaking the crossOvers... exploring for the correct grounding... increasing fidelity of sudden peaks thru giant capacitors... carpentry work for those earth shaking subwoofs... those were indeed "happy days" for car audio geeks :D

will see you soon sir Val

cheers!!
fer
bass_nut
Master
Master

Postby JackD201 » Tue May 06, 2008 2:22 am

audiostar wrote:One of the pitfalls of this hobby is the failure of the searcher to know what he is looking for :)

Exactly!!!!! :D
JackD201
Immortal

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner