"HAIL TO THE EMPEROR!!!" - The VS VR-111 XS

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

"HAIL TO THE EMPEROR!!!" - The VS VR-111 XS

Postby jadis » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:52 am

Yesterday, a Bozanian Prince and I were privileged to be able to get a 'sneak peak' into the Emperor's lair through the auspicies of course of the Crown Prince Cong. JackD himself.

It was a 'Shock and Awe' experience, for myself and the prince, needless to say... We run out of trite and hackneyed words used to describe systems, and this is by and large a 'mega-system' to boot, and without a doubt the most passionate musical reproducer of a home system ever that my ears has met. Full scale, and a nearness to 'live' music reproduction are the hallmarks of this system, and in the end, I can only describe the listening event in one question, 'What more can you want?' "No mas, no mas". I would answer. And to think that there are still missing elements in the room, ie., the all important ASC tubetraps and panel that will be the final icing in the cake in the 'emperor's musical palace'.

I imagine in the aftermath of looming next 'complete session', I would be speechless and wordless so I promise to tag my handy pocket cam that time to post some pics that would do justice to this handsome and well-thought of and well-developed system. In summation, I can only think of one word to describe the magic: SYNERGY.

And of course, Hail to the Emperor! :)

Abangan ang susunod na kabanata.....when the 'king' visits the emperor... :lol:
Last edited by jadis on Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby raffy » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:33 pm

sayang phil, no pix to drool over, was at the prince's lair last friday and and WOW i can just imagine kuya's set up. kay cong. palang pao and i were in awe... couldn't resist but with the help of keith and pao we set up the db99s too and it's a KILLER
raffy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:56 pm

hey raf,

not to worry....it's like whetting an appetite and grinding for the apex...i'll have to clean my digicam's lens and hone up my rusty tripod for the best shots in time for the next visit to the 'Imperial Palace'... and I look forward to that day... :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:07 pm

Here's a teaser pic before the Critical Mass Systems Grand Master Iso Platforms took residence under the Lamm M1.2 Reference Monos.

Emperor also has a new family member. A certain translucent blue stone ultra rare cartridge by Sugano and Sons was fited on his 2nd Graham wand. I wanted this so bad for myself I wanted to cry. If Phil had his camera there would have been proof of this :lol:

Raf, Yes this system is just so well balanced, nuanced and effortless I can't listen to my own set up without needing a few days of low volume SET + minimonitor listening to clear my head. My system sounds shouty and compressed in comparison. Considering most people regard the lair as open and true full range, you can just imagine. Whew. MASAKIT :lol:

My only gripe is the minute reverb trails are not allowed to fully develop due to spurea from reflections. FLD's ASC package designed by ASC for this room from original Autocad blueprints should will fix this. Then..........Oh my.

I am officially saving up now for my Kubala-Sosna Emotions and my own pair of VR-9s. I can't take it anymore! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Anyone for Cardas Golden Ref's on the cheap? :)

P.S.

I refuse to listen to Keith's DB-99s anymore because I don't want to cry when he takes them home for good in a couple of months :cry: :cry: :cry:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby raffy » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:11 pm

holy smokes :shock:

iba si kuya, i can just imagine the slam, dynamics, and sheer musicality of the sum of all these top end gears put together. what a system :!:

after you get your vr-9's bud will now be confused, where is big falcon?

:lol:
raffy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:57 pm

VSA's Philippine HQ, whether here at WW or at North in the future, will always be Big Falcon :wink:, now Emperor will forever have reign over the friggin Bozanian homeworld :lol:

The power system alone for the Emperor's main room is staggering. 4 dedicated 20 ampere lines and a dedicated 15 ampere line. The mechanicals are another factor with ducted AC with low noise vents. This system took two years to assemble on paper according to extensive interviews and a matrix of his aesthetic sensibilities and performance criteria. It even required me and Keith to pick up Lamm and Critical Mass and AVDi to pick up Kubala-Sosna Research and Grand Prix Audio to make a go of it. There was no stone left unturned in searching out the synergy even before a single peso was spent.

I personally designed the size, shape and chose building materials and insulation. Node wise, this room is less than .4m (cubic) off the University of St. Andrew's plot for optimal room dimensions. Giving even bass response practically everywhere in front of the speaker plane. :twisted:

Why does he get the title of Bozanian Emperor? Ooooooh boy. 9's alone do not an Emperor make! It's the commitment borne of a 20 year sacrifice to forego all audio until the day all other commitments were satisfactoraly taken care of and he in good conscience could say, "ako naman".

The guy is almost at his Nirvana. (Hurry up fld :lol:) We're just so happy we had a part in making it happen for this excellent example of a human being whose mission in life, not just his profession, is to bring smiles to the faces of filipinos all over the world through quality entertainment, news and public affairs.
Last edited by JackD201 on Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby desmo » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:21 am

It's killing me to know the true identity of the Boazanian Emperor :o . Any clues? Am I drinking or using some of his products? 8)
desmo
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:33 am

desmo wrote:It's killing me to know the true identity of the Boazanian Emperor :o . Any clues? Am I drinking or using some of his products? 8)

secret ;)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby desmo » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:21 am

Oh OK. :x

But please continue writing and posting pictures about this super system. It's the next best thing to hearing it in action. :D
desmo
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dafos » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:07 pm

"Anyone for Cardas Golden Ref's on the cheap? "

Are these IC's or speaker cables?

Baka sakali some of the sound from this systyem would have rubbed off on this cable.
dafos
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:18 pm

ICs Jerry :D
JackD201
Immortal

Postby dafos » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:43 pm

Pardon my ignorance but what type of componenets are the Kubala-Sosna Emotions?
dafos
Citizen
Citizen

Postby keith » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:12 pm

Gerry, Kubala-Sosna's are interconnects and speaker cables. 8)

Raffy-O, good to finally see you in the lair. I didn't realize you hadn't heard the DBs. Dang, I've been away too long!

JackD, please get me an audience with the emperor soon. :wink:
keith
walastick

Postby dafos » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:57 pm

Can all of us subjects be granted an audience with the emperor?
dafos
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:11 pm

When the ASCs are in and the system re-dialed you'll be one of the first to know Bro.
JackD201
Immortal

Hail to the Emperor !

Postby jadis » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:26 am

Finally, was able to pay another visit to the Emperor's Lair with kumpareng coltrane and of course the Bozanian Crown Prince JackD.

There are many changes made from the last time I was there: the power amps, which were the LAMM M1.2 Reference monos, now are DOUBLED UP. Yes, DOUBLED UP. One pair to drive the high frequency units and another pair for the mid/midbass drivers! :shock: Yan ang masarap. :D Para bang 'kanya-kanya'. :lol: Class A bi-amp mono/mono. And of course with the built in 1000 watts Class D amp to drive the 15" subwoofer (per side).

Each of the amps are sitting on its own Critical Mass isolation base platforms.

The Left speaker system:

The Right speaker system:

Frontal shot:

The rear firing pure ribbon tweeter with Ambience circuit:

More of the complex back firing tweeter design:

The back firing self powered 15" Subwoofer:

The VTL TL 7.5 line stage with power supply:

The LAMM LP2 Deluxe (bottom) and the EMM Labs DAC (above):

THe EMM Labs CD Transport:

The VPI HRX with the Phantom arm and Air Tight Cartridge:

The backside of the amps featuring the Kubala-Sosna cables: (parang pang nuclear plant) :lol:

The LAMM Quadruplets at Midnight:

...and we ended the session 3 hours past midnight. :shock: And so today I shall be needing these 8) ...

Again, words are not enough to describe this kind of 'imperial' set-up. Like what Vintage Dog had posted earlier, this belongs to the 'live music' column - something that is felt by the senses and not just heard and analyzed.
Coltrane and yours truly would like to thank the Emperor and the Crown Prince for such a wonderful night, and morning. :lol:

And some final parting words..."Hindi pa tapos ang Emperor"... :shock: :roll:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Superman » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:30 am

WOW! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yan pala yung Emperor's Palace! Sana makabisita din ako diyan...sana andiyan din si Kuya Germs :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby DCO » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:32 am

Speechless :!:
:D
DCO
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Superman » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:34 am

DCO wrote:Speechless :!:
:D

Mala-emperor din naman set-up mo ha! :D