Speaker Placement Methods

Moderator: JackD201

Postby vn800_b » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:49 pm

hello everyone! i do not have a dedicated listening room so i have my system set-up in my living/dining room. it's about 40(L) x 13(W) x 10(H) ft where my listening area occupies the first 12 feet or so.

my speakers are about 4ft from the front wall. because it's a long room, i don't seem to have reflection problems from the back.

anyway, at 13ft width, what should be the distance from side walls / distance between speakers?

Hope you can help.

Edrik
Last edited by vn800_b on Tue May 11, 2004 1:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
vn800_b

Postby dogears » Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:24 pm

[Les] wrote:sorry to bug but why is it that my central imaging seems off center. i find the sound coming to be from off center to the right ng konti.

Your speakers might be too far from each other.
dogears
Master
Master

Postby arnoldc » Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:46 pm

or your source, preamp, or amp is not balanced. or can be the material. some are recorded like that.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby zach » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:46 am

could be your room acoustics too
zach
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Hans adriane » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:10 pm

Guys,

Need help.. is there a standard distance of the speaker to side wall??

Hans adriane
Citizen
Citizen

Postby satoichi » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:09 pm

[Les] wrote:sorry to bug but why is it that my central imaging seems off center. i find the sound coming to be from off center to the right ng konti.

hello, ur post is last year pa pala, now lang ksi ako nakasali sa forum. Anyway, here is my comment sa posting mo:

try mo i-set ng tama yung distances ng speakers mo from the front wall and from the side wall kung pareho nga. If you have towed them try to make them towed in the same angle also. Now if you have done these and you r faced with the same problem pa rin, the explanation to that is possibly the interaction of some materials in your room with the sound area between you and the speakers.

If the room is not truly mirror image even in its room materials like curtain on left wall and plywood on the right wall it can cause an acoustic imbalance kc mas may reflected energy sa right wall causing it to sound "louder" thus making it appear acoustically forward than the subdued left wall reflection.

To do some minor tweaking, you can try to move the speaker that sounds louder (to where the image shifts, in your case, to the right) a bit backward from you (so papuntang front wall) until you hear a subtle improvement. Once the image goes in center then back off. That means ok n. However, the better way to address dis is to use equal type of acoustic absorbing material only on the first reflection points para hndi naman mag sound dead yung room mo.

hope dis helps.
satoichi

Postby timn8ter » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:57 am

If the room is not truly mirror image even in its room materials like curtain on left wall and plywood on the right wall it can cause an acoustic imbalance kc mas may reflected energy sa right wall causing it to sound "louder" thus making it appear acoustically forward than the subdued left wall reflection.

That is my thought as well.
timn8ter
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:27 pm

In deciding which method to use I suggest that the type of speaker be taken into consideration. In particular the radiation patterns. Linesource, pointsource, wether bipolar, cardiod, dipolar or omnipolar all behave quite differently in any room. Especially with regards to bass response. The resulting nodes will still exist but the location of the nodes with the exception of the immediate perimiter of the boundaries will differ. For example cardiod and bipole speakers may be positioned closer to side walls than point source and rear damped line sources because of the cancellation that occurs at the sides of the speakers. Point sources enjoy a lot of space all around. Just make sure that the distance from rear to speaker and speaker to side walls differ by at least 40% If they are equal or close to equal boominess from excess corner loading will occur (unless ofcourse that's what you want.)

With regards to imaging, crossover types should also be taken into consideration as these dictate the off axis response of the transducers. As a general rule your listening position should be on-axis withboth left and right speakers. Speakers with a narrow dispersion (typical with first-order x-overs w/ steep slopes) will require more toe in than let's say a speaker using a 4th order x-over.

The rest is common knowledge so I'll stop here.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby JackD201 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:52 pm

Mods Moz or Hyperion please move a copy to Tech Archive.

Thanks,

Jack
JackD201
Immortal

Postby cia » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:38 pm

I just want to share my speaker placement problem and solution.
I recently transferred my speakers from the bedroom to the living room. It seemed the best sound was from a position about 5 feet from the backwall thereby putting the speakers almost a third into the living room. Wife says: ganyan naba yan. Obviously WAF was not there. Problem: speakers with sand filled stands with spikes weigh around 85 pounds each and I cannot lift them. Solution: bought those teflon like sliders from Tru Value. Now I can slide them to any position in the living room then engage the spikes. When done listening, I slide them back against the wall. Some hassle but wife happy and I can live with the compromise.
cia
Citizen
Citizen

Previous

Return to Technical Archives