D76 vs Classic 30

AUDIO RESEARCH [high definition tubed electronics Brand New and Classic Models] and other Audiophile Gear

Moderator: sensible

D76 vs Classic 30

Postby qguy » Fri May 11, 2007 9:13 am

Can anyone share your views

thanks
qguy
Master
Master

D76 vs. CL30

Postby boobtube » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:53 pm

I have owned both of those amps for a substantial amount of time (many years at a time) The D76 though a very old design, circa late 70's to early eighties if im not mistaken sounds pretty much like a modern amplifier. It has the warmth of tube design amps but not too much. Its detailed, fast( not the old slow tube sound) and my impression is, its quite neutral.(my type). The CL30 came out early 90's. Sounds truly like a modern amp, its fast detailed, throws a fantastic soundstage. Its diminutive power rating might shock you, as it is quite powerful for a 30 watter. The CL30 is truly a hi end ampifier. Nowadays these jewels sitll sell for about 30 to 35k. A bargain if you would ask me. Matched with an excellent preamp, wow they can show you what hi end is all about. The CL30 is much cleaner in its presentation compared to the D76, well they are generations apart. The D76 would sound closer to the D70 and the VT60. Just from experience bros. HTH.
boobtube
Citizen
Citizen

Postby hein » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:03 am

Ya, i agree. The CL30 is one fine amp. Sweet yet quick.
hein
Fanatic
Fanatic

Cl30 vs D76

Postby lovesaudio » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:47 pm

The basic difference between the older amps and the newer tube amps is basically the percieved speed. The older ones tends to be warmer and more bodyfull due to their design criteria mostly using more tube rectifiers and drivers whereas the current amps are faster and seem to sound somewhat leaner as they use more ICs and transistors. in the course of technological advances, accuracy is better in the newer designs.
Since audio is very subjective, take your pick and that is fine.
lovesaudio

Cl30 vs D76

Postby lovesaudio » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:53 pm

In addition, re-tubed older audio equipment will be heard to ressurrect i.e. quickness, dynamism and clarity are enhanced. A fully re tubed D76 or any tube amp or preamp may be equal to some new designs
lovesaudio

Return to >> SENSIBLE AUDIO <<