Tue Club

Moderator: bb3

Tue Club

Postby bb3 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:21 am

“Old audiophiles never die,
. . . they just retube”

The old dinosaurs are back! Many thanks to Francis and this forum which helped spark the Philippine audio community to high gear thus resurrecting old dinosaurs like us back into the mainstream. As such, the Tue Club has been meeting quite regularly again to revive the vision it had originally planned in its conception. With the help of Wiredstate, we believe that vision can turn into reality.

Brief background of the Tuesday Club:
As a breakaway group from the bigger Phil. Audiophile Society (PAS), the Tue Club wanted to tackle other facets such as recorded music (both playback and recording), live music, acoustics, DIY, etc,
In its brief lifetime, the club was able to undertake among others the ff:
Lecture by Philips on the digital medium
Lecture by AJ Van den Hul on cables and cartridges
Lecture by the late Mang Dima on tweaks/grounding
Lecture by the Tannoy group on speakers
Lecture by DynaAudio group on speakers
Lecture by Mike Pedero on recording
Lecture by Butch Silverio on acoustics/recording
Lecture by Mike Pedero and Ponsoy Alvarez on radio programming
Introduction of the latest Krell line up by Dean Roumanis (who unfortunately passed away recently) in cooperation with The Listening Room and PAS.
Assisted in the weekly production Audiophile Jazz on Citilite 88.3
Vinyl and CD sales/swapmeets c/o “The Good Guys”

But it wasn’t only about gears and recorded music that the club focused on. We had intimate live mini-concerts for the benefit of the group and other regulars. To put an end to a debate on how bass should sound, we invited Colby de la Calzada who played a mean acoustic upright. In another session, we were awed by Joseph Esmilla’s Strad (or was it a Guarneri?). Yet in another session, we were both amused and wowed by the late Levi Celerio who played us tunes with leaves up to way past midnight.

Because of the interest in this hobby, other members started branching out complimentary services. Some went to cable and speaker dealership (WLO, Spendor). One was a silent consultant for one of our more reknowned audio shops. Another group, myself included, put up The Fat Lady Corp., exclusive Phil distributors of Rhino Records. Aside from Rhino, Fat Lady was the first to ship in Spiral Starecase, Dave Clark 5, and Joni James on CD. Since the local record distributors did not want to gamble out of the Top 40, the club, through Fat Lady decided to be the alternative. We also brought in a considerable amount of OJC Fanatasies on vinyl along with the Revolver, an entry level TT and the Record Doctor a reasonably priced manual LP vacuum cleaner.

Most importantly, I would say that the biggest achievement of the Tue Club was helping each other think out-of-the-box. We put aside HP’s Baker’s Dozen and searched for our own references. While others were grabbing the Pawnshops and McBrooms, we were slowly bulding up our 6 eyes and 9:00 AMs. We guided each other to be wary of gears considered “flavor of the month”.

But that was then - when seeing a locally manufactured amp available commercially or
having a local hi end exhibit (Nov HiFi Show) were only dreams.

The present brings us exciting times in this hobby and Wiredstate acts as the catalyst in this 3rd golden age of Phil. Audio. And since we feel that the objectives of WS and Tue Club sort of run parallel, we hope to supplement what this forum has done.

We are now finalizing plans for our first project.
stay tuned.
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby arnoldc » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:48 am

Sir Boy, Cesar and Wilson told me about the revival of the club a few weeks ago. I was told there's already an upcoming activity :D
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:14 am

congratulations to the brains and ears behind the Tuesday club. mabuhay!

looking forward to the first Tuesday Club mega event, which i realize will happen on a Wednesday!!! :)
Last edited by vintage_dog on Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Tue Club

Postby kabubi » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:20 am

Boy,

Two weeks ago, i remember having told Master Rene that your posts were getting very scarce as of late.

well, it certainly is a delight to see, or "read", what we most enjoy about you in WS --- contributing articles of info and value.

the Tue club endeavor is certainly meritorious and one which i am sure will gather a lot of support. i for one look forward to it, especially the symopsia and the mini concerts. sa WS nalang, sangkaterbang na ang resource persons mo. if you need assistance in coordinating such, just holler.

rock on!

k
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Re: Tue Club

Postby AbadSantos 7 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:03 am

bb3 wrote:“Old audiophiles never die,
. . . they just retube”

And also they multiply.... :D :D
AbadSantos 7
Citizen
Citizen

Postby egay » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:38 am

sometime last quarter of 2006, i met Jo Celdran and he mentioned that the "Tuesday Club" is gathering steam and is preparing to re-surface after many years of hiatus. i was excited!

when i was starting in this hobby in the late 80's~early 90's, i've heard of this group and it seems that when the name is mentioned, PAS is mentioned in the same breath... are they 'connected' in a way?

last Thursday, i met David C (DMC to us) in an Economic Furom and he also told me of the same plans by the TClub - and now this new sub-forum. my excitement is building-up.

BoyB (bb3 to us) briefly discussed the various activities of the group before and i was simply surprised that there were so many that the local audiophile community could have learned something from :D ... i hope these happen again in this 'generation' 8)

indeed, if the older generation of Filipino audiophiles cared to know which way is up (or down), us novices would have picked-up earlier, but as Boy said - they did not :( ... no need to fret, that was yesterday and waste need not be cried at, it's another waste...

now is another opportunity to make sense!

ONWARD!
.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby planarribbon » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:51 am

hear, hear!! sir egay!

talagang tama po kayo... the word is ONWARD!!!

i sense exciting days ahead for music lovers and truth-seekers in our part of the world!

mabuhay ang mahilig sa awiting malamig!!!
planarribbon
Citizen
Citizen

Postby egay » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:57 am

planarribbon wrote:hear, hear!! sir egay!

talagang tama po kayo... the word is ONWARD!!!

i sense exciting days ahead for music lovers and truth-seekers in our part of the world!

mabuhay ang mahilig sa awiting malamig!!!

YES! i am watching this thread/forum closely :D

take it easy!
.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Tue Club

Postby kabubi » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:00 am

the excitement on the revival of the Tue Club breeds several questions:

1) is it open to membership or by invitation?
2) does the membership or attendance entail fees/dues?
3) is there a regular venue for the meetings?
4) how often are the meetings/sessions?
etc. etc.

k
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:08 am

Great to see the Tuesday Club gathering steam and starting to roll :D

So do we see the present members posting again? :roll:
Last edited by Jon Agner on Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby egay » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:14 am

Jon Agner wrote:Great to see the Tuesday Club gathering steam and starting to roll :D

So do we see the old members posting again? :roll:

Jon,
you make "old" sound "ancient" :P
di naman ciguro... kung baga - nag-iinat pa!

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:01 pm

i spoke to gerry kaimo (bomalabs) last night and unless plans change, the first session will be open to 15 members of wiredstate only due to limitations at the venue (somewhere near tiendesitas).

bb3 will issue out details as soon as finalized...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby egay » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:14 pm

vintage_dog wrote:i spoke to gerry kaimo (bomalabs) last night and unless plans change, the first session will be open to 15 members of wiredstate only due to limitations at the venue (somewhere near tiendesitas).

bb3 will issue out details as soon as finalized...

unless this is an exclusive pick and unless the meeting is done on a sunday - please count me in.

thanks.
.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Jon Agner » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:31 pm

egay wrote:
Jon,
you make "old" sound "ancient" :P
di naman ciguro... kung baga - nag-iinat pa!

.e.

Egay,

Hehehe, wala kasi akong maisip na word on how to describe the original tuesday club members eh :)

Sige, tawagin nalang natin silang present members :roll: :wink:
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby dante » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:11 pm

Count me in, too, if the group is open to newbies. Thanks!
dante
cool dude

Postby KD » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:14 pm

bb3 wrote:Another group, myself included, put up The Fat Lady Corp., exclusive Phil distributors of Rhino Records. Aside from Rhino, Fat Lady was the first to ship in Spiral Starecase, Dave Clark 5, and Joni James on CD.

The Fat Lady also brought in vinyl, as well as analog hardware, specifically, Nitty Gritty record cleaning machines, and REVOLVER turntables (aka the only turntable quarantined by Customs for lack of a firearms import license). I still own one of those turntables today.
KD
Legend
Legend

Postby bb3 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:08 pm

kabubi wrote:Boy,

Two weeks ago, i remember having told Master Rene that your posts were getting very scarce as of late.

buboy,
just dont have significant contributuons to post lately.
but heve been logged in everyday.
. . . kaya ko nga alam na nauunahan mo ako parati sa plaka :D

see you on wed.
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby bb3 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:18 pm

KD wrote:
bb3 wrote:Another group, myself included, put up The Fat Lady Corp., exclusive Phil distributors of Rhino Records. Aside from Rhino, Fat Lady was the first to ship in Spiral Starecase, Dave Clark 5, and Joni James on CD.

The Fat Lady also brought in vinyl, as well as analog hardware, specifically, Nitty Gritty record cleaning machines, and REVOLVER turntables (aka the only turntable quarantined by Customs for lack of a firearms import license). I still own one of those turntables today.

up to now, still one of my favorite "audiophile anecdotes".
moreso kasi winasak ng customs yung isang TT dustcover while trying to look for firearms. :)

glad to hear that the Revolver still spins and the VC still "sucks".
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Spectral » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:09 pm

hahahaha!!! nabuhay ang grupo!!!

:twisted:
Spectral
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Spectral » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:18 pm

oh by the way one thing I like about this group is none of them are nagmamarunong or feeling "great" like a lot of new audiophiles I met of recent. So I must warn those aspiring new gen. audiophile, if you have a large ego forget about associating with this group.

hahahahahaha!!!!!
Spectral
Citizen
Citizen

Next

Return to TUESDAY CLUB