Thorens-Morch-ZYX-Tono piano/fono-Marantz-LS35A

vintage and modern toys of the old dog :-)

Moderator: vintage_dog

Thorens-Morch-ZYX-Tono piano/fono-Marantz-LS35A

Postby vintage_dog » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:06 pm

my "old" attic will soon get a "new" sound in 2007....

Analog:
Thorens TD124 (vintage)
MORCH UP-4 arm (vintage/modern)
ZYX cartridge (new)

Pre-amp:
Tono fono/Tono piano (new with all vintage tubes)

Amp:
Marantz 8 (really old with Mullard EL34s)

Speakers:
Rogers LS3/5A with AB1 (old and new)

:D
Last edited by vintage_dog on Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Attic 07 system - some old, some new...

Postby JackD201 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:44 pm

vintage_dog wrote:my "old" attic will soon get a "new" sound in 2007....

Analog:
Thorens TD124 (vintage)
MORCH UP-4 arm (vintage/modern)
ZYX cartridge (new)

Pre-amp:
Tono fono/Tono piano (new with all vintage tubes)

Amp:
Marantz 8 (really old with Mullard EL34s)

Speakers:
Rogers LS3/5A with AB1 (old and new)

Wowowowowow! Gonna be hard to leave the attic after this. :twisted:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby vintage_dog » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:06 pm

it serves as my private massage center too from 10pm down ;-)
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:51 am

some updates:

1. the ZYX is breaking-in nicely on my Michel table and replaced the 103R i broke over the holidays. a definite upgrade in dynamics, realism and speed. i love this cart.

2. the TD124 is with the vintage TT master - joel; the armboard will be kamagong (c/o joey and rex); the plinth may be changed too if the master builder will have time - a shindo-inspired narra pinoy version!!! abangan!

3. the Morch arm is now temporarily installed. it's missing an extra weight but is being ordered by hansen. looking into an extra 12" arm wand for the Morch...but not decided yet

4. the Marantz 8 just arrived last night (yipee). all tubes checked-out almost new and matched. circuit/parts all seem stock but will look closely this weekend. fired-up late last night with the Tono fono and piano driving the minima amator and whoa :shock: i love this 50-year old amp...eats my modern ..... will try with the LS3/5A-AB1 soon...

thanks for snooping!

vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby arnoldc » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:31 am

Congrats on your Nth system :D Would love to hear it sometime... BTW, baka nakalimutan mo madami kang tubes naka saksak sa mga sulok sulok dyan sa attic ;)
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby vintage_dog » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:35 am

arnoldc wrote:Congrats on your Nth system :D Would love to hear it sometime... BTW, baka nakalimutan mo madami kang tubes naka saksak sa mga sulok sulok dyan sa attic ;)

surely. pagtapos na lahat. on tubes, was just thinking about making an inventory. my problem is, i first have to locate the boxes. the folks at home just store them everywhere. some are even in the kitchen pantry
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby arnoldc » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:49 am

re: inventory- there is a nice program you can buy for your Treo, called ListPro. That's what I use to keep track of my LPs, and tubes (as in ang dami ko :lol: )
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby vintage_dog » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:52 am

vintage_dog wrote:some updates:

1. the ZYX is breaking-in nicely on my Michel table and replaced the 103R i broke over the holidays. a definite upgrade in dynamics, realism and speed. i love this cart.

2. the TD124 is with the vintage TT master - joel; the armboard will be kamagong (c/o joey and rex); the plinth may be changed too if the master builder will have time - a shindo-inspired narra pinoy version!!! abangan!

3. the Morch arm is now temporarily installed. it's missing an extra weight but is being ordered by hansen. looking into an extra 12" arm wand for the Morch...but not decided yet

4. the Marantz 8 just arrived last night (yipee). all tubes checked-out almost new and matched. circuit/parts all seem stock but will look closely this weekend. fired-up late last night with the Tono fono and piano driving the minima amator and whoa :shock: i love this 50-year old amp...eats my modern ..... will try with the LS3/5A-AB1 soon...

thanks for snooping!

Finally got my restored 124 last Sunday...thanks joel! it now has the moerch arm properly installed on a birchwood armboard (courtesy of joey) with the xyx bloom cart. will post some pics soon. the 124 was re-conditioned by joel and sits on a custom built (plywood) plinth...the nara shindo-like plinth will have to wait until joey can find time to build it. no hurry... :)

on both the marantz 8/spendor ls35a and the mv60s3/apogee set-ups, the 124 provided a very musical presentation: very nice mids, quite refined, moderate dynamics, perhaps a little less detailed and extended as my other set-up. there's something very special about the sound - very organic, natural character that just conveys the music right where in matters...the heart. am enjoying it trememdously, after several weeks of vacation from the hobby. thanks joel, joey and rex for providing a bit of yourselves into this project....

vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby keith » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:41 pm

I've really been away too long ... just saw this now. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Nice one VD. So when is the next listening/massage session. :wink:

Pics please 8)
keith
walastick

Postby ichabod » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:15 am

V_D nice to hear about your array of new toys! I'm back to listening to my Spendor LS and can't wait to hear your impressions on the marantz 8/spendor combo. These spendors are your second pair of LS3/5As?
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to / VD's doghouse \