Now Playing: Apogee Slant 6

vintage and modern toys of the old dog :-)

Moderator: vintage_dog

Postby kukang » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:47 am

vintage_dog wrote:having spent a few more hours playing these babies, the following are additional observations:

2. slightly more forward presentation than what i'm used to

aha, let us adjust the rake angle of the speakers. It'll do a world of difference..........................

thanks for the brownies once again.......... :lol: :lol:
kukang
Citizen
Citizen

Postby kukang » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:48 am

JackD201 wrote:Kukang tama yan, dapat maski hindi industry pro, total aftersales service pa rin! Ayusin mo baby! :lol:

Oh lonely celestions, where will you go? :P Nevermind, if they're lonely just dig up the review I sent you to keep you smiling. :)

VD maganda daw yan w/ the grills left on. Dontcha worry, soccer star will find you the best axial position for that added warmth. Yum Yum!

Jack,

Even the Celestions are gone. Any kaya ang papalit? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
kukang
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:12 am

kunin mo nakasi si......DOS! Ask Macolive who "He" is then snag the demo pair at 45% off.....BILIS!!!! Maunahan ka pa! Si Quattro Bambino na reserba na kagabi!

Remember hindi WS exclusive ito so hindi first to post ;)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:04 pm

kuks,

the speakers are now tilted a bit. i used a pair of my daughter's spare roller blade wheels for each cabinet... :D

also used bi-amping: mv55 for the ribbons and the mv60se for the woofers.

....kayang kaya...:D
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:20 am

the speakers are now wider apart, with lower rake angle (the rollerblades wheels removed), vents plugged by foam and only driven by one kt88 pp amp. tono piano in service with western electric tube. patrick's jolida phonostage was in service too...

fast, articulate, balanced, focused, deep soundstage...

just winding down at past 315 am playing classical music and vocals (no jazz early this morning)...

thanks to all the folks (mandy, alan, patrick, arnold, caloy) who dropped by the house to listen to mandy's DIY tonearm (it's a winner) and help critique my set-up...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Amplifine » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:51 am

JackD201 wrote:Oh lonely celestions, where will you go? :P Nevermind, if they're lonely just dig up the review I sent you to keep you smiling. :)

Those Celestions aren't so lonely anymore!!! bWAAAH ha ha ha :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
Amplifine
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:21 am

kukang wrote:VD,

You are only getting 80% of the performance of the speakers. Wait till I get there................... ayusin natin yan. :lol: :lol: :lol:

kuks,

as of today, i think am now getting 90-95% of the speakers' potential. the new phonostage has broken in nicely and the speakers are in their best position ever.

been spinning long hours 'till 3am the past few days already. i find myself enjoying my classical collection much better than before...fantastic detail/transparency and layering, very open and deep/wide soundstage. the harbeths already found a new home giving way to these new babies. my other speakers are all jealous....

see you tomorrow. will bring along the 300b's :wink:
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby stereophile » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:58 am

VD- Congratulations on finding the ideal positioning of your Apogees! Mark the floor with tape! You really have to invest some time finding the right spot. When you do, you will be rewarded with the crisp, transparent imaging only planars and electrostats can dish out. With my Aerius I's, it took me a couple of weeks adjusting here and there till I found the right spot :!: :roll: I marked the floor at once. Mahirap na ma re-position by the house cleaning team. :cry:
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby ichabod » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:09 am

These are fun- tastic to listen to that you had to give away the harbeths! Will the rogers go next?
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby kukang » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:07 pm

vintage_dog wrote:
kukang wrote:VD,

You are only getting 80% of the performance of the speakers. Wait till I get there................... ayusin natin yan. :lol: :lol: :lol:

kuks,

as of today, i think am now getting 90-95% of the speakers' potential. the new phonostage has broken in nicely and the speakers are in their best position ever.

been spinning long hours 'till 3am the past few days already. i find myself enjoying my classical collection much better than before...fantastic detail/transparency and layering, very open and deep/wide soundstage. the harbeths already found a new home giving way to these new babies. my other speakers are all jealous....

see you tomorrow. will bring along the 300b's :wink:

tonights guest will be Keith Jarrett. Parang ayaw my yata.............. :lol: :lol: :lol:
kukang
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:51 pm

stereophile - yup, took a (long) while to spot the sweet spot. i'd better mark they quickly...

icha - well, the rogers are in the attic system. i don't think they can duplicate the presentation of the apogees...not in my room and using my system that is.

kuks - anong ayaw? :lol: see you later man...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby amped » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:29 pm

VD,

The Slant 6 sounds terrific mated with you CJs. Congrats on the great find!
amped
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:30 am

stereophile wrote:transparent imagingonly planars and electrostats can dish out.

Doc, dapat ata maimbita ka na ;)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby stereophile » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:22 pm

Finally had a chance to listen to VD's Apogee Slants yesterday... :shock: :shock: :shock:

I've been to VD's vault a couple of times. Honestly, these are the best pair of speakers I've heard in his room to me. Why? Despite their gorgeous size/profile, they disappear when playing. Images are thrown to the back of the room. Crisp w/ fluid transitions, I can pin point the musicians/singers in space. Tonal balance was correct to my ears. I like speakers w/c image like crazy and do the vanishing bit. This pair does the trick.

Don't forget to mark the floor where they are standing. I'd try bi-wiring those babies. I believe they will make a difference.

For a moment, I thought I was listening to my Martin Logan Aerius i's. I guess I miss them. Time to fire them up again. Thanks for the opportunity to listen to them, VD :!: 8)
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:34 pm

not sure if these should go to one of the rooms upstairs or someone else's room altogether? hmmmm.... getting a little crowded downstairs :wink:

vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby diesel » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:22 pm

hi again sir ,u plan on selling those gorgeous speakers?im interested..pls let me know.thank you sir.
god bless
diesel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:29 pm

thanks to all those who contacted me about these speakers.

they will soon be moving-in to a new home.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby stereophile » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:32 pm

vintage_dog wrote:thanks to all those who contacted me about these speakers.

:cry:
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:02 pm

stereophile wrote:
vintage_dog wrote:thanks to all those who contacted me about these speakers.

:cry:

if things don't work out with his amp and in his room, they will be yours... :wink:
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Kukang Apogee Slant 6

Postby lovesaudio » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:54 am

If anybody is interested in a pair of these, I have them, selling for phk 50k. Pls tx me at 09178128532
lovesaudio

Previous

Return to / VD's doghouse \