" PARENG COLTRANE'S" SUPER SYSTEM

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

" PARENG COLTRANE'S" SUPER SYSTEM

Postby jadis » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:15 pm

This may very well be my dream post, as I mentioned before in the Records and Recording thread, my WS life will not be complete till I realized this dream post, of posting the pictures of what I would call THE GREAT WALL OF PHILIPPINE VINYL. :) Imagine when you enter a listening room, the entire right side wall flushed with a custom-made side wall-to-side wall and ceiling-to-floor RECORD CABINET. I for one was in AWE at such a spectacular 'vinyl smorgasbord', that the first action of a 'retired' audiophile friend of ours upon seeing this wall was to estimate how many LPs were there using the gap between his middle finger and thumb and the rough estimate came out to be no lower than 5000 LPs - and that was TWO YEARS AGO. How our main man buys his LPs is akin to a Nascar driver who does not release his gas pedal. Tuloy-tuloy yan....And our main man's passion is not just LPs, but rare and original jazz LPs, in particular, BLUENOTE's. ( Bakit ba ang mga Greenies ay mahilig sa BLUE??? :lol: )

This post will have his personal touch as far as pics are concerned. All pics posted are even directed by him, from angles of shots to lighting effects. He pulled out a few of what he calls his rare jazz LPs, and judging from the artists, these are not the ones we see too much in mail-order stores... (syempre....eeeeeebay at kung saan saan pa.)

I intend to start with the vinyls first, and little by little I shall add the gears.... oh yes.... the audio gears...Honestly, I had to organize the things
I want to post in a certain order because of the multitude of add-on accessories and the like, so without further ado, here it is...

THE WALL (of vinyls)

THE SHELVES

Up next - THE RECORDS....
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby rtsyrtsy » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:47 pm

Wow.

Records pa lang, to die for na. Kahit boombox lang ang soundsystem, bilib na ako. :D

I'm curious about the Winnie the Pooh box in this photo:

Magandang tactic yan...pag-uwi ng bahay, "honey, may pasalubong ako para kay baby," yun pala mga cartridge yun for rolling. :D
rtsyrtsy

Postby jadis » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:53 pm

Eagle's eye, Russ. (Pun intended) :)

I did not notice that Winnie the Pooh box trick.... On top of that, I now realize, is the Gryphon CD zapper, I forgot the name, but it was a bit popular in the 90s, to make CDs sound better...daw. And even on top of that are donut-shaped stuffs, possibly for vibration damping... Later on as we progress, we shall see what my kumpare uses for anti-vibration control...
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby m_shoe_maker » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:04 pm

Ha :!: I know this room :!: :shock:

This is probably the only audio room MSM has entered without even bothering looking at the owner's turntables (yes, plural yan). :twisted:

Plaka pa lang, tapos na boxing. 8) 8) 8)

But Jadis, do please show the creme-de-la-creme equipment of this dude.......... :)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby jadis » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:25 pm

THE RECORDS

We start with a couple of original copies of Jackie McLean. I'm not a jazzman by any short standard so only Miles, Monk, Coltrane ring a bell to me but when our man tells me that a certain album of McLean was being hit on ebay at the 4 digit level, U.S $$$$, I said, 'let's move on...." :) (Deep inside, I want to say.... 'good thing this is not my genre' ) :lol:

All I can say is that I don't know these two guys. :lol:

Yep. A friend brought a Hank Mobley to my place to listen with me. Yep. I know Hank. But that's it. :)

All of the above hindi ko kilala. Baka kilala niyo. :) All rare jazz stuffs. :)

I've heard of Sinatra in the Sands..... But Sinatra on the Floor??? :lol:
Highly collectible and precious Mobile Fidelity Box Set of Sinatra's complete Capitol recordings....May ilan lang ako, hindi Mofi pa. :lol:

This above is a more recent procurement, a BOX SET, the casing literally made of WOOD - of the Mercury Living Presence LPs recorded in the USSR.
The top sliding cover is made of acrylic... Mahal siguro ang air freight nito. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby m_shoe_maker » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:41 pm

During the 90s, I purchased a stack of Blue Notes, only knowing that these were the seller's (I did not know yet) extra copies. :o All were in good condition, and being a Piranha during that time, grabbed the oppurtunity, and gobbled the stash. :twisted:

It was only a few years ago that I knew that ALL of those Blue Notes came from this person Jadis is featuring in this thread. :shock:

.........But di ko talaga ma type yung music, so I had 'em Blue Notes gobbled by the new breed of Piranhas. :lol:
Last edited by m_shoe_maker on Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby KD » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:42 pm

Magsasawa ako sa kakaamoy ng mga plaka diyan! Ang bango siguro ng kwarto niya.
KD
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:43 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:Ha :!: I know this room :!: :shock:

This is probably the only audio room MSM has entered without even bothering looking at the owner's turntables (yes, plural yan). :twisted:

Plaka pa lang, tapos na boxing. 8) 8) 8)

But Jadis, do please show the creme-de-la-creme equipment of this dude.......... :)

Yes, yes, yes, MSM....They will be shown...For once, I have to make a summary or an outline of the things to be posted....ang dami kasi, and our main man personally directed the show...So, it will be done. Parang "Killing Me Softly with His Song" , pero eto, ...with HIS GEARS :lol:
Last edited by jadis on Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:45 pm

KD wrote:Magsasawa ako sa kakaamoy ng mga plaka diyan! Ang bango siguro ng kwarto niya.

Mabango, Mabango.......pag ganon ang mga plaka natin, tama ka, KD, pati kwarto, mabango nga. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby m_shoe_maker » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:49 pm

Pakipot pa ah. :twisted:

Show 'em gears :!:

We want gears :!:

Sigurado, ito ang mga gears na kokopyahin ng mga mortals like us. :shock:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby m_shoe_maker » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:52 pm

Well....

I can partly see an ARC Reference 610, and a SF Strad......... :shock:

Bitin :!:

Bitin :!: :evil:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby manilaman » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:14 pm

I've heard of this awesome collection. I've spoken to "him" a couple of times about collecting vinyl. But I've never realized how supremely extensive it was till this thread. Man, had i known about this then, I would kept quiet nalang.

Pati google nahirapan mag hanap ng mga titles nya!!!! Go do the google, and the math after you find them. You'd end up in various threads, with prices, and MAN, the prices of the vinyl!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
manilaman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:17 pm

THE TABLE

In those days when people were happy with the turntables of note like the AR Turntable, Sota Sapphire, Oracle Delphi II, or the VPI HW19MKII, our man went to Mang Dima to indent order a VPI TNT 1, which even preceeded yours truly's HW-19MKII, also indented from the late Mang Dima. At that time, we did not yet know each other. And in the course of the TNT's upgrade plan, our man was able to piece by piece upgrade the TNT 1 into the present state TNT VI. The arm mounted now is the Tri-Planar 7, I think. And before that, a Rockport Air Bearing Arm was installed.

Below the table is the so called VIBRAPLANE. You see the dial gauge which is intended to monitor the air pressure. The Vibraplane has four
air bearing 'feet', which in effect, makes the platform isolated from all external vibrations.

The industrial looking air pump of the Vibraplane.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:23 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:Well....

I can partly see an ARC Reference 610, and a SF Strad......... :shock:

Bitin :!:

Bitin :!: :evil:

MSM,

Sana matutulog na ako, pero para hindi mabitin ang Dr. MSM, nandyan na ang analog gear. Pero pasensya ka na, may 'shameless plug' tayo dyan mamya. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby m_shoe_maker » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:36 pm

Yes, Mang Dima was the first to bring in those early TNTs (similar to the one in the movie "Indecent Proposal"). 8) This must have been during the late 80 (the TNT first came out in '87) to early 90s. :o

I got my first TNT during the mid 90s. :) By this time, VPIs were already being brought in by Eric Lim of Audio Den. :wink:

But that arm........ :shock: :shock: :shock: Now that's the arm fit for a King :!: :shock: 8) :shock: 8)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby Superman » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:54 pm

awesome TT..awesome LP collection - HANEP!!!
Superman
Master Showman

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:02 pm

wow!

what more can i say!
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby usai » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:05 am

wow!!! grabe!
usai
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:38 am

THE ROOM

The room is simple yet elegant. Most walls are sprayed with acoustic fiber and there are tons of DIY tube traps installed all around the room. It has a tall ceiling which has additional acoustic flat panels installed at the middle part to reduce slap echo.

THE SPEAKERS

A little more than two years ago, our man indented the Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage and they were the first pair to arrive in the Philippines. Needless to say, the workmanship and the sound of the Homage series from SF is indeed excellent.
Last edited by jadis on Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:49 am

THE POWER AMPS

Right channel monoblock from Audio Research Corporation - The REF 610 Monoblocks indented from my very good friend Lito Gelano of Sensible Audio. 18 pcs of 6550C power tubes per block. Good thing the 2HP aircon is not very far from it. :)

Left channel ARC monoblock. Both blocks have built in timer indicators to act as a counter for tube-hour consumption.

Another look at the mono blocks.
Last edited by jadis on Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Next

Return to Jadis' Corner