12" Philips (Norelco) part-2

Altec Open Baffles, etc.

12" Philips (Norelco) part-2

Postby detubo » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:08 am

this is something i can rarely do. the opportunity presented itself when my wife had to leave for a 3-day business trip. after a unhealthy dose of punyeta by my wife because of my altec chest freezers (man did they sound good!) i now bring in the ugliest pair of speaker ever to grace my livingroom.

playing mariah careys new CD, it amazes me the quality of mid bass these ugly twin sisters could do. reminded me of that female singer with that monster ass and a face for radio but has the voice of angels. of course the midrange is sweet and airy. tunog alnico baga. unfortunately i have to end the affair for my wife arrives today. Yes Honey, I missed you so much. :wink:
Last edited by detubo on Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
detubo
Master
Master

Postby ichabod » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:05 pm

Can't help but react to what you're saying. For some strange reason, I felt the urge to hook up my 8 inchers Richard Allan drivers on these flat OB panels again for a listen. This time I trained them to a motorola power amp with a pair of 6AQ5s something like 3-5 watts/side flea power. Maybe the above post brought some nostalgia along, so I gave these ugly ducklings what fun I can get. My preamp is a pair of fisher 50C monos fed by 1,000 PhP Sony CD player that reads 4X over sampling.

By some fortuity, I discovered a little truth about as little watts to drive these speakers without remorse as JE had put it several post ago so accurately that it would be too papery. How true! One guy I remember even commented that single drivers can sound like some helium gas was coming out of it. Whatever that means I think it's the effect of paper cones just being too driven at height of their sensitivities. Or sensibilities? Once again, as the old adage, set amps are best for them.

So this time around I guess, in this never-tried before set-up, I'm rediscovering what good single drivers on OBs could sound like. A seductively relaxed open midband, sweet and clear as a bell, yet never boring on the ears despite their smoothness. We know how details can get lost in utter smoothness, but not from these RAs I think. And who cares if they're not as extended when what you hear is quite enough of that "warm curve" often heard from concert halls. I've liked these single drivers before, and now I guess I like them even more. With as little power, they're more like my beloved Dynaco A25s! Alan Leung of HK was right in drawing the analogy.

Detubo thanks for bringing out those pictures. Their pathetic look is enough to cause a stir around the house. And to JE, for his comment on paper cone drivers. You guys are always encouraging in the least way one expects. And that's what this hobby is all about. That there are good and pleasant surprises that can happen with old gear and take us further up the mystical path of audio like we've never been before. Serendipity!
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby marty_e » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:43 pm

My ticket to the SET realm huh detubs :D

Baka lang ma punyeta din ako :evil:
marty_e
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:40 pm

Pwedeng sub-wooper ng oto yan ah. :shock:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby detubo » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:25 pm

marty_e wrote:My ticket to the SET realm huh detubs :D

Baka lang ma punyeta din ako :evil:

my offer still stands if your wife permits. but ichabod is right that SET would be best to bring out the sweetness of these fruits. thanks for hosting last night. music, wine and great conversation. had a great buzz that night. must be something in the sushi. next time you guys fly over to my part of the woods. and bring that grand dad along too. i didn't mean raf. :D
detubo
Master
Master

Postby marty_e » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:38 pm

Glad to have you over with your DJ kit. Good tunes and it always comes in handy to have someone changing LP's while everyone else "floats" around. I just showed my wife the Pics above and she asked if the OB's were done or still "under repair" :roll:

Would be nice to drop by sometime when your system's playable na. I hear the grass is greener over there...
marty_e
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:38 am

Wanna borrow my JE 300Bs marts while I'm taking advantage of ArnoldC's WE brew? :twisted:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby marty_e » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:31 am

Thanks for the offer JD. The amp would be easy enough to bring home, it's the OB's that I fear would be stopped at the border. Big speakers like that just makes the Dog House even more cramped :evil: :evil:
marty_e
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rvc » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:45 am

detubs,

i guess by now the wife's back. so where'd you hide those hideous monsters?
rvc
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby detubo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:01 am

rvc wrote:detubs,

back to my audio bodega but won't be there for long. "lub you'll be flying to hk for work again? come back soon ha." :wink:
detubo
Master
Master

Postby BenC » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:41 am

detubo wrote:
rvc wrote:detubs,

back to my audio bodega but won't be there for long. "lub you'll be flying to hk for work again? come back soon ha." :wink:

- - -
Ang sweet mo talaga Tonyboy!

Cheers,
BenC
BenC
Citizen
Citizen

Postby detubo » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:54 pm

another look at my philIps 12" OB. full vintage SETUP na ako! 8)

detubo
Master
Master

Postby DCO » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:59 pm

another look at my philIps 12" OB. full vintage SETUP na ako!

enjoy yan :!:
:P
DCO
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to OPEN BAFFLES