a lazy weekend with the CJ PV10a/MV55 & CJ PV11/MV60se

vintage and modern toys of the old dog :-)

Moderator: vintage_dog

a lazy weekend with the CJ PV10a/MV55 & CJ PV11/MV60se

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:03 pm

this is not a review. some folks texted me how stereophile's CJ set sounds like in my system and what i will do with them. so, here goes...

btw, the MV55 uses EL34's vs 6550/KT88s for the MV60se. i used the 4-ohm SF minima amator for both experiments and paired the amps with their sister preamps. tube-rolled tubes on the amps (mullard, teles for 12ax7s and a few NOS for the 6SN7s).

the MV60se's has the upper hand in bass slam/speed and detail; the MV55 has the edge on mids - sweet and engaging as well as depth. the bigger brother 60se would do well with jazz, rock, classical and the younger 55 for vocals, light jazz. i can live with either, but decided to have both. :)

for preamps, the 11 is an upgrade over the 10a especially with analog. linestage is good but i find the violin and the new Tono-VTV preamp beat both CJ models in terms of soundstaging, dynamics and detail. anyway, folks grab these preamps for the MM phonostage. for the price they go for used, they are a real bargain, and very good sounding when paired with decent analog gear. (stereophile was using it with a trusty Technics SL1200M3. very very nice indeed.)

so, what will i do with this new set? i don't need another preamp, so the pv10a now goes to a friend who will use it with one of his analog set-up. as for the MV55, it'll be used for my wife's TV karaoke set-up at the attic driving the "vintage" sonus faber elekta; preamp is the classic Tono 12au7. she seems to be pleased at how her voice sounds like with this amp. so, when she's happy, am happy too. :D
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby conspicuous » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:47 pm

and when your wife is happy her adobo becomes even more gastranomically out of this world :D :D :D

congrats on the new acquisition. will you be doing a side by side review of mv55 versus the st70??? :D :D :D
conspicuous
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sinar » Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:00 pm

francis, what's the difference between the violin and the new Tono-VTV preamp?
sinar
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ihatejazz » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:29 pm

sinar wrote:francis, what's the difference between the violin and the new Tono-VTV preamp?

OT yan. Please delete post :twisted:
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:30 pm

ihatejazz wrote:
sinar wrote:francis, what's the difference between the violin and the new Tono-VTV preamp?

OT yan. Please delete post :twisted:

OT rin yung reply. Please ban IHJ. :twisted:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby KD » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:20 pm

Please extend MSM parole by ten years. :evil:
KD
Legend
Legend

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:35 pm

sinar,

here's the OT reply: :wink:

the Tono-VTV pre-amp is a custom-made violin with VTV-specified power supply specs. this one has 6 inputs (VTV supplied) and 2 sets of outs for bi-amping. it comes in 110v only and for export only. to be sold exclusively by Vacuum Tube Valley (VTV) USA.

am using the 1st version which noticeably has improved response on the bottom - taut, quick and powerful. some reported more focused presentation of instruments with less tendency for smearing during complex passages. more presence than the regular violin. the final version will even be more refined. :wink:

you are welcome to borrow the test unit for a few days. you will need a 110v transformer. recommended power supply tubes are 5ar4, 5u4 and 5v4.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby sinar » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:00 pm

thanks for the info francis :)
sinar
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:52 pm

CJs for KARAOKE?

Pure Genius!

We've always known that CJ's make voices even more beautiful. Oo nga naman!

Psssst Tatang Benny. Pakantahin natin si Koi sa system niya tignan natin kung may pag-asa pa boses niya. I'll bring the Mic :lol:
JackD201
Immortal

Return to / VD's doghouse \