KOETSU CARTRIDGES

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

KOETSU CARTRIDGES

Postby stereophile » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:55 am

Jadis, I hope you will allow me this indulgence, the experience has been on my mind these past few days:

I listened to the Jade cart on the rig of Jadis over the weekend, playing Carol Kidd's lp... :shock: :shock: :shock: , the Chesky Earl Wild piano lp :shock: :shock: :shock: , and the Beethoven Apassionata 45rpm lp... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Smooth as silk. No grain at all. Midrange unparalleld. The soundstage was wide, deep. Nicely laid back presentation. If you think a Koetsu is bass shy, think again. The Bosendorfer Grand Imperial was in the room in front of me. Each piano key struck sounded so real and natural, so crisp. Here, indeed was a special cartridge. There must be something about using a 'stone' body in a cartridge. A precious stone at that.

If given a chance, you must listen to a Koetsu. It's like if you are a cyclist, you have to try a COLNAGO even once. Look at the craftsmanship and beauty of the final product. A work of art you can look at and listen to.

Now I know what mandym meant about listening to a Koetsu, in this case a jade, before meeting St. Peter...now that I've heard it, I hope I don't meet him so soon though(as another guest of Jadis pointed out)... :( :lol2:
Last edited by stereophile on Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby jadis » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:20 am

Doc Lito,

I am indeed delighted that you share your insights on the listening experience on the Koetsu. And moreso, I am gratified that it was able to bring a good and enjoyable impression on you.

Again, many thanks for sharing, Doc. It is always a pleasure to have you visit my place and here too in this forum.
Last edited by jadis on Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby stereophile » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:48 pm

Thanks for inviting me over to our friend's hse this morning for another session with Koetsu carts, Philip! It was very interesting listening to the nuances between the Rosewood standard and the Rosewood Platinum. Both are beautiful to look at and hear! 8) So how many members already of KFC?--Koetsu Filipinas Club :D
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby jadis » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:32 pm

Doc Lito,

It's always a pleasure to have you in our sessions and many thanks for coming over. We shall be inviting you a lot more since we have many mutual friends. :) Yes, I have found out too that all models as it goes up in category, have a distinct signature 'improvement'. And it is all for the good, relatively speaking. And, konti palang, doc, ang KFC. :)
Last edited by jadis on Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby stereophile » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:25 pm

Just came back from a quick after dinner session with the recently installed Rosewood Platinum...it's sounding better and better since this morning. The owner prefers the 100 ohm loading for it. I brought my copy of LA4's Just Friends...I was so impressed at how the cart presented the Noveau Bach cut. So natural, no grain nor inner groove distortion. Everything was laid out in space. Just like the original KFC: yummy! :wink:
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby jadis » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:39 am

Glad to hear, Doc. It seems you are near that stage where you might be camping out there as you joked about yesterday. :lol:

Nice phono stage our friend has, on the fly plug in loading. Such a user friendly adjustment. That's the icing on his cake. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:17 pm

That Koetsu Coral has a very cute and beautiful body design which I'm sure my wife will love. :) With its color / shade, and the flower-like print, its definitely catered to please audiophiles' wives. :twisted:

"Hey Honey, did you see the Koetsu Coral :?: "

"Yes, Dear. I like its print. :) Why don't you get one of those :?: Oh, buy one for me too."

Oh I wish......

:twisted: :twisted:

That was a good article you found Jadis. 8)

The two Kings. 8) Two brands known to have very distinct sound character, and yet both are highly praised. 8)

It really depends on one's preference. Well, as to the filthy rich, it all depends on one's mood. :shock:

King of Warmness and Musicality :?:

King of Speed and Resolution :?:

The choice is yours (if your filthy rich :twisted: ). :)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:44 pm

Yo Jadis, ang dami na palang Koetsu models. :) Why are the other models you mentioned not posted on US-based on line stores :?: Mukang mas updated ka pa. 8)

It would be great if you could list all the Koetsu carts, along with their respective US$ retail prices so we can........... ahhhhhh............ ummmmm............. ahhhhhh ......... just have a guide....... walang pambili eh. :oops: :lol:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby jadis » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:06 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:That Koetsu Coral has a very cute and beautiful body design which I'm sure my wife will love. :) With its color / shade, and the flower-like print, its definitely catered to please audiophiles' wives. :twisted:

"Hey Honey, did you see the Koetsu Coral :?: "

"Yes, Dear. I like its print. :) Why don't you get one of those :?: Oh, buy one for me too."

Oh I wish......

:twisted: :twisted:

That was a good article you found Jadis. 8)

The two Kings. 8) Two brands known to have very distinct sound character, and yet both are highly praised. 8)

It really depends on one's preference. Well, as to the filthy rich, it all depends on one's mood. :shock:

King of Warmness and Musicality :?:

King of Speed and Resolution :?:

The choice is yours (if your filthy rich :twisted: ). :)

Yes, MSM, I knew you'd like the article cuz you have the brother of the Olympos. Hmmm, kinda made me regret selling my Koetsu Ken Chan which was rebuilt by the Lyra guys. It also had the familiar tape below the magnet.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:12 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:Yo Jadis, ang dami na palang Koetsu models. :) Why are the other models you mentioned not posted on US-based on line stores :?: Mukang mas updated ka pa. 8)
It would be great if you could list all the Koetsu carts, along with their respective US$ retail prices so we can........... ahhhhhh............ ummmmm............. ahhhhhh ......... just have a guide....... walang pambili eh. :oops: :lol:

Well, I learned that the Coral Stone Platinum was made exclusively for the US market and the Blue Lace for the UK market. Both are not listed yet in the internet stores like elusive disc, acoustic sounds or needledoctor.com. Basically it's a play with the sound of the stones. One day, I wanna hear both in a shootout and we shall know if the stones do have a sound of its own. Coming soon.

The list is all over the net, acousticsounds.com, elusivedisc.com, needledoctor.com, and even musicalsurroundings.com. They are basically uniform in pricing. We still have to see the prices of the Coral and the Blue Lace. Will update when I get the info.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby m_shoe_maker » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:55 am

Haneps ang Koetsu ah. 8)

Kung Lasalista ka, you can get the Jade. :)

Kung Atenista ka, you can get the Blue Lace. :)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby jadis » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:04 am

m_shoe_maker wrote:Haneps ang Koetsu ah. 8)

hehe, msm, eh kung UP ka, Rosewood Platinum...mukhang maroon ang color. :lol: :lol: :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby yellowpaper » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:33 pm

jadis wrote:The Koetsu Blue Lace Platinum

Very rare model in the Koetsu bloodline, this model is made for the UK market, but we are able to get one for the Philippines. Actual pics:

A candy like color. It surely is salivating to stare at and makes you want to grab it right there and then. :shock: Sorry I didn't have the opportunity to hear the new exotic design and experience a different taste of "heaven on earth". :( Though I'm honored for the invite. Looking forward for the next one. :D
yellowpaper
Citizen
Citizen

Location: Colorado, Washington, DC, Alaska, Oregon and counting

Postby jadis » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:28 pm

hi yellowpaper,

indeed i hope the owner will procrastinate more before coming here to listen and then pick it up; basically for quality control purposes ( ie, that it is working fine) since he is just going to store it while he shops for a turntable to put this thing on. i hope you will be able to visit next time i get to put on some more 'palatable' models.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:40 pm

jadis wrote:I would like to thank the owner of the Blue Lace Platinum for graciously authorizing me to 'put on' the Lace on my rig for a few days for me to get a glimpse of heaven on earth. What a sight, and what a sound. :shock:

Jadis,

Thank you for being a gracious host and for allowing me a chance to listen to the Blue Lace last night. It's just like the way you described it: A glimpse of heaven on Earth, The sound is as smooth as silk, without any hint of roughness nor the harshness of the sound. :shock: :shock:

I have never heard Paco de Lucia and Al di Meola played with so much intensity, until last night. How I wish they can do the same in my listening space.

Cheers :D 'til the next listening session :D
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:15 pm

Ako kaya, kelan maimbita...... at mabigyan ng libreng Koetsu :?: :shock:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby jadis » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:23 pm

Jon Agner wrote:
jadis wrote:I would like to thank the owner of the Blue Lace Platinum for graciously authorizing me to 'put on' the Lace on my rig for a few days for me to get a glimpse of heaven on earth. What a sight, and what a sound. :shock:

Jadis,

Thank you for being a gracious host and for allowing me a chance to listen to the Blue Lace last night. It's just like the way you described it: A glimpse of heaven on Earth, The sound is as smooth as silk, without any hint of roughness nor the harshness of the sound. :shock: :shock:

I have never heard Paco de Lucia and Al di Meola played with so much intensity, until last night. How I wish they can do the same in my listening space.

Cheers :D 'til the next listening session :D

My pleasure in having you visit and experience the Koetsu Blue Lace, Jon. ( The owner is ever gracious enough to allow me to demo it to my friends before he can visit and hear it even for himself ). The side effect to this is what will happen to my ears when it is taken off and I get to go back to my ol' cartridge..... :cry:

As I mentioned in another thread, the DM Friday Night is probably the most electrifying guitar album that I ever heard. The passion and the fury of Paco de Lucia at the end of Side A is a class of its own, absolutely riveting. You will get that feeling when the "Black" visits it. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:28 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:Ako kaya, kelan maimbita...... at mabigyan ng libreng Koetsu :?: :shock:

Dr. MSM,

May standing invitation ka, anytime of your choice. Malamang, sasabay sa yo din si Mr. 610. Pag nandito ka na, tsaka hahanap tayo ng mga libre..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:29 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:Haneps ang Koetsu ah. 8)

The irony of it all is that the one who got the Jade was from Ateneo and the one who got the Blue Lace studied in La Salle Greenhills. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby mullard88 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:42 am

Jadis,

My memory just stirred. remember how my wife thought that I was looking at a piece of cheese when she saw the picture of the coral that you e-mailed to me?
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Next

Return to Jadis' Corner