headphones/headphone systems for dummies

iPod, walkman, headphones, earphones, boomboxes, etc...

Moderator: dogears

Postby jamants » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:28 pm

thanks moises sa pagsagot sa mga tanong ko habang pumipili ako ng headphones, salamat din kay Pic for the great service, as usual =)

nextna kukulitin ko si AC sa headphone amp =)
jamants
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby onedown » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:45 pm

jamants,

as far as i know, no sound should come out of the speakers if there is a headphone connected. try checking if the plug if inserted into the jack all the way in. there might just be a loose contact between the plug and the jack.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby dogears » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:02 pm

jamants wrote:thanks moises sa pagsagot sa mga tanong ko habang pumipili ako ng headphones, salamat din kay Pic for the great service, as usual =)

nextna kukulitin ko si AC sa headphone amp =)

no worries SB/SRmate :lol:
dogears
Master
Master

Postby dogears » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:06 pm

onedown wrote:jamants,

as far as i know, no sound should come out of the speakers if there is a headphone connected. try checking if the plug if inserted into the jack all the way in. there might just be a loose contact between the plug and the jack.

ungano?! heehee... didn't realize that... unless wala talagang ganung 'function' yung scott ni jay :roll: like my yamaha int amp, the speaker switch is manually turned off/on.
dogears
Master
Master

Postby jamants » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:41 pm

i tried it sa creek 4040 integrated ganun din, ayaw mawala ang tunog sa speakers kahit pagsaksak ko ng headphones...hrmmmm....
jamants
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dogears » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:56 pm

wala ngang switch sa headphone input :P
dogears
Master
Master

Postby jamants » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:23 pm

labo naman nun men..=)
jamants
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dogears » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:26 pm

corny kamo :lol:
dogears
Master
Master

SR-80

Postby asar » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:28 pm

Just bought a Grado SR 80 from Docmike (Thanks Docmike). In the process of breaking it in with an IPOD Video / CMOY source.

This is my 5th can/earphone; HD-580, PX-100, MX-450, Ipod stock.

I will be ordering Senn 414 foam pads from the US next week. If there's anyone who want to order with me I will order 4 pairs.

PM or post if you want one.
asar
Citizen
Citizen

Postby CCC » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:01 am

jamants wrote:i tried it sa creek 4040 integrated ganun din, ayaw mawala ang tunog sa speakers kahit pagsaksak ko ng headphones...hrmmmm....

dogears wrote:kelangan mo ng a/b switch... hmn... maybe a special one for your situation :D

Anonymous wrote:
can't i just plug in the headphones and automatically erase the music coming from my speakers? and when i pull out my headphones get music from my speakers. mejo hassle mag tanggal kabit ng speaker cables lalo na ngayon im demoing a pair of ga-sawa diy speaker cables.

This might be your solution ....

http://sound.westhost.com/project100.htm

Headphone Adaptor for Power Amplifiers
Rod Elliott (ESP)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Introduction
This simple project is nothing more than a handful of resistors and a double pole, double throw switch, but will reduce the output of almost any amplifier to a nominal level of 5V RMS, and maintains the recommended 120Ω source impedance. This is designed to suit most headphones currently made, as they are generally designed to operate from that impedance.

Naturally, this is not always suitable (some manufacturers have chosen not to adopt the standard for one reason or another), but will suit most headphones very well.

The level of 5V RMS was chosen to ensure that the power amplifier will not clip when driving the headphones, but is much too high for normal listening. As always, you may make changes to suit your preferences, but be aware that nearly all headphones are capable of sound levels that will cause permanent hearing damage, so always be mindful of this.

Warning: This unit is not designed to be used with bridged amplifiers! If there is a warning on your amp that states that the -ve speaker terminals must not be grounded, then you must not connect this adaptor, or the amplifier will be damaged. If in doubt, find out first from the manufacturer or distributor - assumptions can be very costly!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Description
The project could not be simpler - it basically consists of a switch to disable the main speakers, and the attenuator to set the correct level and impedance. Figure 1 shows the circuit diagram of a single channel, and this is duplicated for the second channel.

Figure 1 - Schematic for One Channel
The only hard part in all of this is choosing the resistor values that will give you as close as possible to the correct voltage and impedance for all typical amplifier powers. Table 1 saves you the tedium of working this out, and all attenuators use standard value resistors. The nominal voltage and actual output impedance are also shown, and as you can see, the variation is very small.

Power - 8Ω R1 R3 Zout Vout R1 Power
20 W 180Ω 47Ω 119Ω 5.2 0.33 - 0.5W
30 W 270Ω 47Ω 122Ω 4.9 0.47 - 0.5W
40 W 330Ω 33Ω 121Ω 4.8 0.54 - 1W
65 W 470Ω 22Ω 118Ω 4.7 0.74 - 1W
100 W 560Ω 22Ω 121Ω 4.9 0.95 - 1W
150 W 680Ω 18Ω 120Ω 5.7 1.37 - 2W
250 W 1kΩ 12Ω 119Ω 5.1 1.79 - 2W
Table 1 - Resistor Values for Different Power Amplifiers

The table shows the nominal amp power (8 ohms), and the values for R1 and R3 (marked with a * in the schematic). The actual voltage available to the headphones is also shown (Vout) as is the maximum power for R1 and the recommended power rating for that resistor. R2 is fixed at 120Ω for all power levels. Should you need more (or less signal) for your headphones, you may simply use the values for the next lower (or higher) amplifier power. For example, if your amp is 60W and you want less level for the headphones, use the values for a 100W amp.

Construction

To construct the circuit, you will need a double pole, double throw switch to disconnect the speakers, assuming that this is not already available. Do not be tempted to use a rotary switch, unless it is rated for the maximum amplifier output current - most are not. A heavy duty toggle or rocker switch is recommended, with a minimum current rating of 10A.

As shown, when the speakers are disconnected, the headphone adaptor is connected and vice versa. This prevents power being fed to headphones for no good reason, and also prevents "extraneous" sound when you are listening to the speakers. The entire adaptor may be installed in a separate box, with a speaker switch, headphone socket(s) and speaker in and out connectors.

This approach is assumed in the schematic, and will generally be the easiest way to provide headphone capabilities for an amplifier that does not have this ability. If more than one set of headphones is required, you must use a separate attenuator for each output - do not simply parallel headphones.

The "tip" of a stereo phone plug is the Left channel, the ring is the Right channel and the sleeve is Earth (Ground). If your amplifier has a balance control, you can check that the jack(s) are correctly wired by using the balance control to mute one channel.

Testing
Before connecting the unit to your amplifier, make sure that there are no wiring faults that present a short to the amplifier terminals. This can be tested with a multimeter, and you should also verify that the switch connects and disconnects the headphone attenuators and speakers in the correct manner.

The real test is to connect your amplifier and headphones, and verify that the level is correct, and that everything works as it should. This must not be done until you have checked your wiring thoroughly, and verified that there are no shorts - especially across the speaker leads!

Note: In use, make sure that the amplifier volume is set low to start with. Headphones vary considerably in impedance and sensitivity, and it is virtually impossible to determine the correct setting in advance.

It is very important that you always maintain a safe listening level - as stated above, headphones can produce extremely high SPL (Sound Pressure Level) - more than sufficient to cause permanent irreparable hearing damage!
CCC
Citizen
Citizen

Re: SR-80

Postby noctilux » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:04 pm

asar wrote:Just bought a Grado SR 80 from Docmike (Thanks Docmike). In the process of breaking it in with an IPOD Video / CMOY source.

I will be ordering Senn 414 foam pads from the US next week. If there's anyone who want to order with me I will order 4 pairs.

Asar,

I hope I'm not too late. Can I order 2 pairs? Sorry I just read your post now. If not even a pair would do. I tried ordering on -line pero hindi pwede from the Phils.

Let me know, thanks!
Noctilux
noctilux
Citizen
Citizen

Postby asar » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:16 pm

noctilux wrote:
asar wrote:Just bought a Grado SR 80 from Docmike (Thanks Docmike). In the process of breaking it in with an IPOD Video / CMOY source.

Asar,

I hope I'm not too late. Can I order 2 pairs? Sorry I just read your post now. If not even a pair would do. I tried ordering on -line pero hindi pwede from the Phils.

Let me know, thanks!
Noctilux

I will order soon. I will PM you when it has arrived.
asar
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jamants » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:54 pm

are these the yellow ones?
jamants
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby asar » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:25 am

jamants wrote:

yes, jamants. i think they come in one color lang. yellow.
asar
Citizen
Citizen

Postby noctilux » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:29 am

asar wrote:
I will order soon. I will PM you when it has arrived.

Thanks!
rgds
Noctilux
noctilux
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dogears » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:43 am

jamants wrote:

hehehe. "jobos" lang ang katapat niyan :lol:
dogears
Master
Master

Postby gaol » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:31 pm

Hi Asar, If I'm not too late, count me in for 1 pair. Thanks!

GAOL
gaol
Citizen
Citizen

Postby asar » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:47 pm

gaol wrote:

Hi Asar, If I'm not too late, count me in for 1 pair. Thanks!

GAOL

copy goal. will PM you when it's here in two to three weeks time
asar
Citizen
Citizen

Postby aye » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:12 pm

hi asar, would like to have a pair of Senn 414 foam pads as well if its not much of a trouble for you. thanks.
aye
Citizen
Citizen

Postby gaol » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:49 pm

asar wrote:
copy goal. will PM you when it's here in two to three weeks time

Thanks!
gaol
Citizen
Citizen

PreviousNext