saving my records: copy LPs to VHS

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

saving my records: copy LPs to VHS

Postby XLR_silver » Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:27 am

hello

have a theory...if i copy my LPs to a hifi VHS player, i can save my LPs and still enjoy the analog sound. i got the idea from friends who have their own small/ home recording studios. they usually master the material with a VHS player!

reason: i only have a small LP collection but i'd like to listen in analog mode. i think my lowly cartridge will "use up my records" fast if i keep on playing them.

any opinions?

thanks!
XLR_silver
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mozilla » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:18 am

Tried this years ago using beta hi-fi. Those were the days when cassettes were still in vogue. We were able to achieve a much better sound from the video tape than with the best blank cassette we could find at the time. We used it as our master tape for DJ mixes from LP's.
mozilla

Postby arnoldc » Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:05 am

xlr, not a theory, many have done it before (recording audio to VHS, specially vinyl), i've done it some 10 years ago too. heck, you can even use VHS to back up computer data. :D
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby XLR_silver » Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:09 pm

mozilla wrote:Tried this years ago using beta hi-fi. Those were the days when cassettes were still in vogue. We were able to achieve a much better sound from the video tape than with the best blank cassette we could find at the time. We used it as our master tape for DJ mixes from LP's.

although vhs players are beginning to disappear too, tape decks are even harder to come by.

i'm very convinced that analog still sounds better than most XRCDs and HDCDs. i guess i'll just try and see if LPs copied to a VHS tape would still sound better than CDs which carry the same titles.
XLR_silver
Citizen
Citizen

if they can't beat 'em...

Postby XLR_silver » Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:27 pm

arnoldc wrote:xlr, not a theory, many have done it before (recording audio to VHS, specially vinyl), i've done it some 10 years ago too. heck, you can even use VHS to back up computer data. :D

actually, since most people i know don't lend their records (i don't lend mine either!), we can do an LP-to-VHS taping session ...sa tingin mo mas maganda pa ring pakinggan vs. CDs?
XLR_silver
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rtsyrtsy » Mon Feb 10, 2003 3:10 pm

If I remember correctly, What Hi Fi advocated recording into VHS, but only the NICAM models I think, when CD-Recorders were still way too expensive.
rtsyrtsy

Postby SD-6 » Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:18 pm

Would Betamax be a better choice over VHS as it is technically superior than VHS?
SD-6
Citizen
Citizen

Postby stjohn » Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:29 pm

my friends from the republic of malabon did this for a time. . . not sure what they are doing now :?

BTW, why are you afraid that your cartridge will destroy your LPs :?:
Because it is cheap? That should not be so,.. unless you are using THE WRONG cart (i.e. for 78s :shock: ). . . a properly setup 'table: levelling, VTA, stylus pressure, etc ought not to damage your precious collection. Of course we are aware that the friction will eventually wear-out our vinyls, but not in many, many years or so. . . UNLESS the pressure is utterly wrong :roll:

did you notice why those LPs coming from radio stations (pardon), DJs, and some other sources seem to have very thin grooves, hazy color, looked abused (they were abused, really)? Wrong/too much stylus pressure, wrong setup. . .

could you explain further, please?

egay
stjohn
Citizen
Citizen

Postby XLR_silver » Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:58 am

SD-6 wrote:Would Betamax be a better choice over VHS as it is technically superior than VHS?

yup, that was what i actually used to do with a hi-fi beta player. problem with betamax is access to tapes
XLR_silver
Citizen
Citizen

Postby XLR_silver » Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:11 am

stjohn wrote:my friends from the republic of malabon did this for a time. . . not sure what they are doing now :?

BTW, why are you afraid that your cartridge will destroy your LPs :?:
Because it is cheap? That should not be so,.. unless you are using THE WRONG cart (i.e. for 78s :shock: ). . . a properly setup 'table: levelling, VTA, stylus pressure, etc ought not to damage your precious collection.

Of course we are aware that the friction will eventually wear-out our vinyls, but not in many, many years or so. . . UNLESS the pressure is utterly wrong :roll:

did you notice why those LPs coming from radio stations (pardon), DJs, and some other sources seem to have very thin grooves, hazy color, looked abused (they were abused, really)? Wrong/too much stylus pressure, wrong setup. . .

could you explain further, please?

egay

don't know that stuff on levelling, tonearm alignment, etc. if i read reference materials, will i know if i'm doing things properly?

yup! i'd like my grand-grandchildren to enjoy the sound of vinyl! also, there are records that i play real often. and even if a CD is available from most record bars, i'd rather tape from, say a friend's LP, since it will still be more appealing to my ears.

btw, thanks for asking!
XLR_silver
Citizen
Citizen

Postby stjohn » Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:05 am

. . ."don't know that stuff on levelling, tonearm alignment, etc. if i read reference materials, will i know if i'm doing things properly?". . .

Hi XLR
yes & no. you have to DO it & listen to the result/s :wink:
'table setup could be easy as 'plug and play' (well, almost - you have to AT LEAST level your platform &/or your 'table AND set the proper cartridge pressure + bias/anti-skate). . . even those that come with fixed tonearms and factory pre-set have to be leveled :cry: . . . better 'tables require more work if you want to really enjoy what you have :)

i'm afraid we have to admit that analogue playback is not for the faint of heart :(

consider this:
1. level your platform
2. level your plinth; if it is a suspended 'table, check the springs :shock:
3. some tables require leveling the arm pods, others don't have this (you lucky you :P )
4. you may need to verify overhang (or pivot-to-spindle distance)
5. verify/setup your cartridge: this is THE fun part. . .

then, we have LPs that are thin, thick, warped, not centered, etc. . .

your cartridge is really practically ABUSED whenever you play that record, and it is probably the MOST expensive part of your table, too.

well, we can just pop down that fave LP and listen to that music we've been wanting to since the start of the day :lol:

enjoy!
egay
8)
stjohn
Citizen
Citizen

Return to Analog