Tono Tonearm Lifter (TonaL)

Moderator: mandym

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:54 am

do guys really have to run to their turntables when needle reaches the end of the record?

why?
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:57 am

you mean you spent $1,000-10,000 for a cartridge/needle and can't spend $80 for something that can protect it and even prolong its life?

why?
Last edited by vintage_dog on Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:59 am

you mean you have to be at "attention" when you're playing the last track of that LP each time? everytime....for the rest of your life?

why?
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:00 am

wawa ka naman...

:-D

dali, takbo, baka tapos na LP mo...tsug...tsug...tsug... :lol:

(nang-iinggit lang po..parang bata) :)
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby mandym » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:45 pm

vintage_dog wrote:wawa ka naman...

:-D

dali, takbo, baka tapos na LP mo...tsug...tsug...tsug... :lol:

(nang-iinggit lang po..parang bata) :)

HOW ABOUT near the end of record:
Kililing ang Telephone, takbo itaas ang tonearm
Knock knock at the door, takbo itaas ang tonearm
(For old fogeys) Napapawiwi, dali takbo baka abutin...ay diyaske, inabut na :oops: !

Mandym
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:12 pm

guys, read this....

:-)

"There is an important advantage lifting the arm up at records end. It eliminates excessive vinyl build up on the sides of the stylus and this is why. A stylus riding that last groove more then twice is creating heat, (at the stylus point are tons of pressure producing this heat) thus melting the vinyl. Extra rotation, extra heat. Once this heavy build up occurs, it must be completely removed before the next play. A dirty stylus will damage the grooves therefore changing the sound. At least an hour should pass before playing the same record over again, this allows the vinyl to resume its shape."

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/ ... 50863.html
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:27 am

analog enjoyment of 4 folks will soon get a "lift"...

this saturday, Mandy will install custom-made TonaLs for 4 die-hard analog fanatics...

pics to follow
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby detubo » Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:43 pm

Wow! Perfect sound forever with digital convenience! Parang graham ang adjustability. If you already got a record cleaner, this should be your next purchase. If not then get this first. Now excuse me, I’ll be taking a nap now while playing singers unlimited in my turntable.
detubo
Master
Master

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:19 pm

congrats detubo!

anyway, tapos na ung LTS mo - last track syndrome! :-D
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby detubo » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:36 pm

ang linis ng gawa. the pride of ownership quotient is very high here. you feel that it was hand made by a master craftsman and not some mass market assembly line.
detubo
Master
Master

Postby mandym » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:30 pm

Hi Vinyl Junkies,

It's 9:18pm, just got home (in San Pablo) after setting up 4 Tonals in Metro Manila, been up since 5:30AM doing last-minute custom building Red76's order :( !

I am dog tired but it felt so good to see your smiles and sense your true appreciation upon seeing your Tonal work for the first time :) . Enjoy, let me know if there are any problems.

Mandym
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby red76 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:21 pm

Sir Mandy... Hinabol niyo po pala sakin..? :oops:

Images (sorry for the poor shots):

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL706/266 ... 839965.jpg

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL706/266 ... 839975.jpg

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL706/266 ... 839989.jpg

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL706/266 ... 839958.jpg

Here's the deal.. Adjustment is a snap when changing the VTA of your arm! :) This is easier to adjust than my SME arm! Sir Mandy is a true Artisan... 8) The TonaL should be seen in MOMA, preferably in action....
red76
Citizen
Citizen

Postby red76 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:11 pm

How is it attached..? That's the secret of Mandy that is quite ingenious - can't imagine why others would resort to glues etc..... Tough but won't destroy the surface of your deck.

On a related topic..

I dunno if this applies internationally but this might be a good place to start:

http://www.uspto.gov/teas/index.html

...was posted by Jim Hagerman (Hagerman Trumpet fame):

I typically do the poor man's version of intellectual property protection. And that is to file a "document disclosure" to the patent office. Look up form at www.uspto.gov.

It is not a real patent, nor a provisional patent. It is a way to file any sort of documents describing your invention to a secure place. What it does is buys you a date. Although the system is first-to-file, having supplied "prior art" through this process will give you an edge.

It's like ten bucks to submit. I do it with every crazy idea I come up with. They keep it on file for two years. That buys you some time to explore other arrangements, whether to sell, make, license, etc. Lawyers will cost you a fortune. Typically $10k to write up a real patent and submit. And then, all it offers you is the right to sue. That's it. If anyone infringes, it is up to you to go after them. And you gotta pay for it. Another alternative is "trade secret", undisclosed invention. Keep it to yourself, like the recipe for Coca-Cola or Bybees.

jh
red76
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mandym » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:20 am

vintage_dog wrote:congrats detubo!

anyway, tapos na ung LTS mo - last track syndrome! :-D

Once again the all-seeing Sir VD has put his finger on the problem!

According to the Boston Inst of Behavioral Psychological Sc.:
"LTS is an anxiety disorder common to audiophiles triggered by playback of the last track of a phonograph record. This is characterized by exterme nervousness, fidgeting and sweating. Strangely, the malady had been non existent in the days of old, low-cost automatic turntables. Not to be confused with LBM and LBC other anxiety-provoking conveyance systems..."

So there!
Mandym :lol:
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:02 am

wow, never thought this was possible at all on a vintage Thorens TD124 with SME3009!

vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby detubo » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:04 pm

observation on tonaL;

the two screws on top are very sensitive. the slightest turn will off set the magnet and thus prevent it from picking up the arm. due to the not-so-tight fit of the screws i believe this will evidently happen in time. mandym's suggestion of putting blue tac on top would solve the problem of the screws from moving over time but its not a very elegant solution. i suggest a metal cap with blue tac place in the center hollow then mounted on top of the screws. what i did was i placed a silicone dome to hide the blue tac. but if mandym makes a metal cap to match the rest of the tonaL design then out goes my dome.
detubo
Master
Master

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:19 pm

easy solution is to simply apply nail polish. it will set the screw, protect it, and it can easily be removed if adjustment is needed.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby detubo » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:40 pm

vintage_dog wrote:easy solution is to simply apply nail polish. it will set the screw, protect it, and it can easily be removed if adjustment is needed.

yup but not so elegant since you can see the nail polish? and you'll have to scratch the polish off to adjust. i still think blue tacs the simplest. mandym! yung tonaL version 2.0 kasama na kami sa upgrade factory support!
detubo
Master
Master

Postby detubo » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:46 pm

i love it! shower muna ako. how about the record i'm playing? it can take care of itself. hehehe
detubo
Master
Master

Postby red76 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:10 pm

detubo wrote:i love it! shower muna ako. how about the record i'm playing? it can take care of itself. hehehe

Potty reading pwede rin! :D *sorry toilet humor*
red76
Citizen
Citizen

PreviousNext

Return to Mandy's Wonders