Tono Tonearm Lifter (TonaL)

Moderator: mandym

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:24 pm

wala yan...am playing mishka adams track #11 on repeat mode now, unattended. kaya nyo yan? :lol: :lol:
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby mandym » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:18 am

EEK TWEAK!!

The first tweaks are in! Is this a sign of a developing cult status :lol: ?

I appreciate you guys are loving the Tonal so much as to want to make it better! Yes, there is a potential problem about the tiny adjustment screw which is a bit loose-fitting. It can loosen through vibration so that the "pick-up" height may change over time. Not a big problem though as it is very easy to fine tune. Also so far, there has been no reported incidence.

Nevertheless, I am looking for a direct solution. The problem is a manufacturing one, owing to the difficulty of making precision miniature parts. In the meantime, if you want absolute confidence, I recommend the excellent ideas of Sirs VD and Tonyboy.

Mandym
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby detubo » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:05 am

here's my tweak. see the silicone dome hiding the blue tac.

detubo
Master
Master

Postby arnoldc » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:10 am

the linear tracking version (Clearaudio Tangent, TQ-1, Master TQ-1) should be the next R&D :twisted: Dami linear tracker users ng Clearaudio dito, as cheap para sa kanila yang $80 compared to their rigs. :P
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby mandym » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:25 am

Hi detubo,

Very clever. Where on earth did you get that tiny pip of silicone? Resourcefullness..the mark of a true Pinoy, di ba?

OK then, to Tonal users who want a 'detubo-type' cover, I'll make a flat aluminum disc (or brass if preferred) to put put on top of the turret. FREE. Just sign up here.

Mandym
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby detubo » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:37 am

mandym wrote:Hi detubo,

Very clever. Where on earth did you get that tiny pip of silicone? Resourcefullness..the mark of a true Pinoy, di ba?

OK then, to Tonal users who want a 'detubo-type' cover, I'll make a flat aluminum disc (or brass if preferred) to put put on top of the turret. FREE. Just sign up here.

Mandym

1. detubo. iba siyempre kung factory upgrade. i suggest to drill a hole on the bottom to put in the blue tac so when you set it in place it'll be set level to the top and you won't see any tac oozing out.
detubo
Master
Master

Postby corrsty » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:52 am

The TonaL should really be displayed in MOMA, both in NY and SF, just like the Technics SL-10. The various adjustments this "supposedly simple" device provides is simply astonishing.

Now, I'll be using more of my "TonaLed" turntable and less of my trusted Technics when listening at night or when relaxing leads to hibernating.....

Thanks Mandy for this wonderful device!
corrsty
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mandym » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:52 pm

red76 wrote:
detubo wrote:i love it! shower muna ako. how about the record i'm playing? it can take care of itself. hehehe

Potty reading pwede rin! :D *sorry toilet humor*

OK you guys, I seem to remember the movie 10 where a bedroom scene was accompanied by one of the most erotic music in the world (second only to "Bikining Itim" ). It was Ravel's Bolero; a pulsating, ever intensifying theme which ends with an explosive climax. Just think of it..you don't have to run out to the living room to lift the tonearm. You can take your time 'experimenting' :wink: .

Well, I don't know about you machos, but as for me I don't aspire to do bedroom athletics with this music. It is too long. At my age, the Minute Waltz is just about my speed :lol: !

Mandym
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby red76 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:30 pm

Sign me up - Brass pls. Thank you.:D Although so far sa akin adjustment was only once when I changed VTA a bit for thicker records.

Very clever. Where on earth did you get that tiny pip of silicone?

Looks like detubo used a clear 3M footer... Just a guess.

I seem to remember the movie 10 where a bedroom scene was accompanied by one of the most erotic music in the world

Bo Derek! :twisted:
red76
Citizen
Citizen

Postby detubo » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:01 pm

bingo ka red76. tangal yan pag nagawa na ang factory mod aluminum cap ko
detubo
Master
Master

Postby yellowpaper » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:58 pm

I'm interested. No brass please, if you will. Anyways, I have no iota of an idea how it is installed but is it safe to assume no drilling is done on the plinth? Let me know the arrangements. Thanks for the brilliant design mandym.
yellowpaper
Citizen
Citizen

Location: Colorado, Washington, DC, Alaska, Oregon and counting

Postby mandym » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:02 am

yellowpaper wrote:I'm interested. No brass please, if you will. Anyways, I have no iota of an idea how it is installed but is it safe to assume no drilling is done on the plinth? Let me know the arrangements. Thanks for the brilliant design mandym.

NO DRILLING!! Tonal is mounted to the plinth with double-backed carpet tape, strong yet removeable. Just give me the measurement from the plinth to the top of the arm in playing position and is there space to place the Tonal ( needs 3/4-inch diameter area) between the arm and the platter. Info on what TT/Arm used is helpful. That's all.

Mandym
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby yellowpaper » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:31 pm

Whew! That's very assuring to know! Hopefully, the double backed carpet tape doesn't leave any residue either. I'm using a TNT/JMW 10. I'll give you the requested measurments. I'm sure there is a space for the TonaL. Thanks Mandym
yellowpaper
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mandym » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:10 pm

No, no residue on the plinth. If any can be wiped away with alcohol.
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby yellowpaper » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:31 pm

Ok great. Let's set it up. All aluminum if possible. Cheers
yellowpaper
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mandym » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:16 pm

Hi yellowpaper,

I just might have a problem locating you, it's not on the map :lol: .

Mandym

PS Seriously though, I plan to make the rounds on Saturday, Oct 8. Then I return to my workshop in San Pablo to cobble up some more TonaLs. I hope you will be available at that time.
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby yellowpaper » Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:58 pm

Well, ok… I'm here at the heart of Quezon city, Cubao in particular. Because of the perpetual diggings going around this area in the last century or so, the cartographer gave up on us. Or should I say the place is no longer mappable. You know how it goes. Oct 8, sounds good. You may call me or not, depending on your mood in case you end up going in circles looking for my place, at 920 924 9517. BTW, the measurements from the armboard to the tonearm is appr. 2 1/4”. :)

Thanks Mandym
yellowpaper
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Racio » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:19 am

Hey Mandy, I sent you a PM. Please check your inbox sir. Thanks!

-Racio 8)
Racio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby quarterback » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:24 pm

Mandy,

I'm also interested in the Tonal. My turntable is pro-ject perspective. For info the platter and the tonearm of the Perspective are both on the same suspended platform. Please advise if it's feasible to install a tonal. Can't post pictures. My digicam is still under repair. Thanks.
quarterback
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mandym » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:05 am

Hi QB,

I appreciate your interest. So far the Tonal has fit on all the 'tables I've encountered. However, just to make sure let me do a search on your system. My "manufacturing/installation" schedule is roughly 4 to 5 units every 2 weeks, this Saturday is filled but I still have a couple of slots for Oct.22. Will let you know ASAP. I will also need to know the height from the plinth to the top of the arm and (since you have a suspended system) the height from the platform to the top of the arm.

Regards
Mandym
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Mandy's Wonders