A Woody ET2

Moderator: mandym

A Woody ET2

Postby mandym » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:03 pm

Here is the latest from the dungeon. I took me 2 weeks to build but 6 months to get started due to wanton idleness |-) .
The armwand is made up of Kamagong, it is lighter than the normal ET2 armwand and wired up with Cardas tonearm wire. The arm "sounds" good on my infallible fingernail tap test. It makes a short, polite tic; no ringing or thumping. I will eagerly await the owner's feedback on how good (or bad) it performs! However way it behaves, the owner can be proud that he owns the only wood ET2 armwand in the entire milky way :D :D .

I was surprised how much better it looks compared to the standard ET2 armwand. It was not too hard to make save for the "cloning" of the electrical connector and the wand's mechanical attachment to the slider.

The OLD:

The NEW:

Armwands side by side:

The connector's mechanical tolerance made it difficult to clone, success came at the third attempt. The clone has gold contacts and did not need a ground return:
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: A Woody ET2

Postby jadis » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:10 pm

Wow. What a nice work, Mang Mandy. Is the kamagong solid or hollow? That's the only wooden wand ET2 indeed in the galaxy. :) :clap:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby mandym » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:23 pm

Thank you Jadis. The arm is hollow, about 1mm wall thickness.
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:34 pm

mandym wrote:Thank you Jadis. The arm is hollow, about 1mm wall thickness.

Wow again. Amazing work to bore a perfect circle hole in a round wooden arm wand. Fantastic job. MM. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JoeyGS » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:03 pm

Congrats and great job Mang Mandy.

BTW what DIY wand would you recommend for a luxman pd 441? My current tonearm is a Origin live RB250 full mod.

http://www.bikudo.com/buy/details/183025/luxman_pd441_pd_441_superb_museum_quality_turntable.html

Regards,
JoeyGS
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mandym » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:12 pm

Hi jadis
Sorry to disappoint you, but the wand is not a bored cylinder but rather of a triangular cross section made up of 3 separate strips of wood glued together with Mighty Bond. I do this because:
1. I think cylindrical tubes are more prone to warping because the boring disturbs the equilibrium of stresses inside the wood.
2. I think that intrinsically, a triangular cross section is more mechanically stable than a cylindrical one.
3. I think triangular tubes are less resonant than a cylindrical tubes.
4.I KNOW that I can't machine a cylindrical tube :D .

JoeyGS
I can't really recommend what DIY arm is good for your table other than say that WOOD IS GOOD, METAL IS FATAL :D .
I built a 12-inch Kamagong unipivot arm for Audiostar's Luxman PD444. Maybe a PM to him will help.
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:18 pm

mandym wrote:Hi jadis
Sorry to disappoint you, but the wand is not a bored cylinder but rather of a triangular cross section made up of 3 separate strips of wood glued together with Mighty Bond. I do this because:
1. I think cylindrical tubes are more prone to warping because the boring disturbs the equilibrium of stresses inside the wood.
2. I think that intrinsically, a triangular cross section is more mechanically stable than a cylindrical one.
3. I think triangular tubes are less resonant than a cylindrical tubes.
4.I KNOW that I can't machine a cylindrical tube :D .

Thanks for the enlightening info, Mang Mandy. Glad to know there are more benefits in your triangular cross section wood wand design. I trust your judgement on the subject at hand. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby highlander » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:48 pm

WoW! :clap: :clap: :clap:
highlander
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Jon Agner » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:52 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Hail to the Chief :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby Tjaderman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:30 am

:| :| :| :| :| :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: You're The ONE, Sir Mandy!!!
Tjaderman
Citizen
Citizen

Return to Mandy's Wonders