SHELTER 201 dismembered at the Dungeon

Moderator: mandym

Re: SHELTER 201 dismembered at the Dungeon

Postby highlander » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:28 pm

mandym wrote:
highlander wrote:
JoeyGS wrote:Hmmmm....I wonder if this can be done to the Shure M97xe :^) . I will try this first with my Shure N35E :)

I was thinking the same idea....the brush assembly can be the first 'victim' ;) :tmi:

HANG ON! Isn't the brush better taken off?

Mandy, haven't been using the brush and it is 'better' for me. It's lifted and locked...so, why not remove it? :tmi: :^)
highlander
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mandym » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:10 pm

highlander wrote:Mandy, haven't been using the brush and it is 'better' for me. It's lifted and locked...so, why not remove it? :tmi: :^)

I think you had meant to ask "...so why remove it?".

I am just paranoid about loose stuff in the immediate vicinity of the transducer. They WILL RESONATE at some frequency and can buzz. I would prefer to take them out (I think it is very easy to remove the brush) and totally be rid of the possibility. But sure, you can bond the brush with epoxy; that should assure no buzzing at the hinges. Happy Tweaking!!
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby yucca » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:20 pm

highlander wrote:
JoeyGS wrote:Hmmmm....I wonder if this can be done to the Shure M97xe :^) . I will try this first with my Shure N35E :)

I was thinking the same idea....the brush assembly can be the first 'victim' ;) :tmi:

Definitely agree on this. Also thinking of sawing off big chunk of the stylus body assembly and replace it with a wooden body that will hug the cart body when fully inserted. But for now polyurethane foam tape will do the trick to reduce resonance. :)
yucca
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mandym » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:24 am

yucca wrote:
highlander wrote:

Definitely agree on this. Also thinking of sawing off big chunk of the stylus body assembly and replace it with a wooden body that will hug the cart body when fully inserted. But for now polyurethane foam tape will do the trick to reduce resonance. :)

What a delicious idea Yucca! A Kamagong stylus carrier, the only one in our solar system!
Many manufacturers are using wood for the cartridge bodies for its symbiosis with natural sound. You are thinking of applying wood's magic right where the music starts. That is really imaginative, though very difficult to do. You will need the surgeon hands of a Dr. Lito! I wish you much success.
BTW a high end cart manufacturer uses a sphere of Lapiz Lazuli near stylus to enhance the sound. You are in good company!

If you find you like the sound, maybe the next step is to bond the carrier to the cart body. Foam tape will reduce the resonance, bonding will "kill" it or at least shift beyond audio range.

Congratulations for a great idea!
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby yucca » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:39 am

mandym wrote:
What a delicious idea Yucca! A Kamagong stylus carrier, the only one in our solar system!
Many manufacturers are using wood for the cartridge bodies for its symbiosis with natural sound. You are thinking of applying wood's magic right where the music starts. That is really imaginative, though very difficult to do. You will need the surgeon hands of a Dr. Lito! I wish you much success.
BTW a high end cart manufacturer uses a sphere of Lapiz Lazuli near stylus to enhance the sound. You are in good company!

If you find you like the sound, maybe the next step is to bond the carrier to the cart body. Foam tape will reduce the resonance, bonding will "kill" it or at least shift beyond audio range.

Congratulations for a great idea!

Thanks sir Mandy. Just need the time and some tooling to get me started.

The sphere of Lapiz Lazuli is the same principle used in a wire bonding machine in semicon industry. There is a Ruby sphere near where you mount the capillary and use a special torque wrench to tighten the screw. When the machine apply ultrasonic frequency the Ruby jewel also reacts on that frequency range. Some members who's in semicon will agree on the similarity of the tonearm-stylus and bonding head-capillary. Maybe i can still ask some old friends for those spare Ruby jewel...hehe
yucca
Citizen
Citizen

Postby highlander » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:35 pm

Having mustered the courage to tinker with my M97 cart :sweat: , decided to remove the brush of the stylus as an initial tweak.

with the brush...

the brush removed...

Now singing beautifully with my kamagong tonearm! :o ;)

To sum up the impact of this tweak - seems like the 'veil' was removed! :clap: :rock:
highlander
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mandym » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:19 am

highlander wrote:Having mustered the courage to tinker with my M97 cart :sweat: , decided to remove the brush of the stylus as an initial tweak.

To sum up the impact of this tweak - seems like the 'veil' was removed! :clap: :rock:

Glad you liked your tweak. However, "you ain't seen nothin' yet"! Bonding the assembly carrier to the cart body should make a bigger improvement to the sound.
You seem to be quite leery of tinkering with your cart (and rightly so). However, we often have to take risks in pursuit of the forbidden fruit :) :) . If you want, send me your cart and I will apply just a tiny dab of epoxy. Just enough so it gets locked in place. If you are not happy with the result, send it back to me anytime so I can "unlock" it. All gratis, for the sake of "science" :D :D .
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JoeyGS » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:08 am

In this case (m97xe) where should the glue be applied?
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JoeyGS » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:17 am

Can the brush be put back after this tweak?

highlander wrote:Having mustered the courage to tinker with my M97 cart :sweat: , decided to remove the brush of the stylus as an initial tweak.

with the brush...

JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby highlander » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:47 am

JoeyGS wrote:Can the brush be put back after this tweak?

I think so. Just need to be careful so as not to bend the metal assembly that holds the brush.

Actually the circular parts on the sides are just caps for the pivot/hinge points. I removed them,
then this is where I pushed the pivot points.

Because it was my first time, I bent a portion of it (the one that acts like a spring) :$
highlander
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby yucca » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:43 pm

highlander wrote:
JoeyGS wrote:Can the brush be put back after this tweak?

I think so. Just need to be careful so as not to bend the metal assembly that holds the brush.

Actually the circular parts on the sides are just caps for the pivot/hinge points. I removed them,
then this is where I pushed the pivot points.

Because it was my first time, I bent a portion of it (the one that acts like a spring) :$

Thanks for this tip.

OT: How's your VTA with the M97? Mine is tail down (negative) to get that extra detail.
yucca
Citizen
Citizen

Postby docsialu » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:57 pm

Tried tweaking my 97xe after a heavy friday night drinking session:

This is the end product

Any body got a spare stylus for sale? :swear:
docsialu
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby highlander » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:46 pm

yucca wrote:
Thanks for this tip.

OT: How's your VTA with the M97? Mine is tail down (negative) to get that extra detail.

I just set it up neutral - flat tonearm. ;) have not tried 'experimenting' on the VTA....
highlander
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby yucca » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:27 pm

highlander wrote:
yucca wrote:
Thanks for this tip.

I just set it up neutral - flat tonearm. ;) have not tried 'experimenting' on the VTA....

If you carefully inspect the stylus while playing (or not) with the aid of a magnifying glass, it is on the positive VTA (naka tungo). Setting up the tonearm tail down, stylus vta becomes or nearing neutral position. The M97 is a better tracker compared to a 2M Red. Would encourage you to try it out, plenty of details will come out. We have tried various phono preamp on the M97, though there are slight variations in terms of tonal quality, bass is consistent as a bit "lutang". Let me know in the future how your system will sound when you set it up tonearm tail down. Good luck!

Sir Mandy sorry for the OT.
yucca
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mandym » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:32 pm

docsialu wrote:Tried tweaking my 97xe after a heavy friday night drinking session:

This is the end product

OH NO!!! As they say: Don't drink and tweak!

Joey, I don't have a 97xe so I can't tell you what area to glue. The guideline is select a spot within the vicinity of the stylus. A pinprick sized dab of epoxy will do. This will prevent glue from wicking between gaps which will make it difficult to remove later.

After seeing docsilau's "accident" I am inclined to perform bonding services for free to the first 4 requestors.
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Superman » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:21 pm

docsialu wrote:Tried tweaking my 97xe after a heavy friday night drinking session:

This is the end product

Doc Sands, PM Doc ESI, Good luck!
Superman
Master Showman

Previous

Return to Mandy's Wonders