The Gift of the Stone

Moderator: mandym

Re: The Gift of the Stone

Postby Jon Agner » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:25 am

mandym wrote:
Mamimili wrote:i did it again with the platter off and some longer black thread, shows up easy against the Denon's white line.

One of my friends uses an expensive optical scope to level critical parts of machinery, next time i see him i must get him to check all this!

OOps, FAIL. Platter off? Longer black thread? I'm afraid I did not get your method correctly. Maybe a sketch will help.

Mandy,

What Paul did (Paul, you can correct me here) is somewhat similar to a carpenter's "bob" or "hulog". Attached a string on one end of the line, in this case on the headshell, then attach a weight on the other end of the line.
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby Mamimili » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:58 am

Jon Agner wrote:
mandym wrote:
Mamimili wrote:i did it again with the platter off and some longer black thread, shows up easy against the Denon's white line.

One of my friends uses an expensive optical scope to level critical parts of machinery, next time i see him i must get him to check all this!

OOps, FAIL. Platter off? Longer black thread? I'm afraid I did not get your method correctly. Maybe a sketch will help.

Mandy,

What Paul did (Paul, you can correct me here) is somewhat similar to a carpenter's "bob" or "hulog". Attached a string on one end of the line, in this case on the headshell, then attach a weight on the other end of the line.

That's right Jon, quite a surprise to see how much i could change the angle of the cartridge. In the past i have checked the headshell was horizontal using a protractor, better than a bubble level but still only good for one degree resolution. I had assumed, still assume that modern headshells are machined flat, so the only conclusion is that i had tightened the screws uneven.
The white line on the front of the Denon is a lot wider than the black cotton thread, so easy to see the cartridge move. Now i wonder if those small thin plastic washers shoul be between the top of the cartridge and the inside of the headshell? I dont think i am risking any damage to the cartridge, the different amounts of tightening between the two screws is minor.
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby mandym » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:13 pm

@Jon,
It's easy enough to see that Paul used a carpenter's plumb line method. I had suggested he shorten the line so he could do the "plumbing" with the cartridge in situ for best accuracy. What threw me off was his mention of "platter off" and use of a "longer thread".

@Paul
I think those plastic washers are meant to go between the headshell and the screw head, perhaps to prevent scratching the headshell. You certainly can try using the washer as a shim notwithstanding the conventional wisdom that there must be intimate and firm contact between the cartridge body and the headshell. Don't be afraid to try it. Heck the Cartridgeman even sells a non-firm Isolator for a whooping $160 :?: :?: :?: .
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Mandy's Wonders