Postby camotecue » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:22 pm

:bow:
camotecue
Citizen
Citizen

Re: THE ASKAL TURNTABLE PART I

Postby yellowpaper » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:33 pm

mandym wrote:
yellowpaper wrote:Nice one Sir Mandy and very well thought of too if I may add. I liked they way you designed the plinth to control/minimize the vibrations. Could I commission you to do the same concept with my TT? Kudos :clap: :y: :)

The framing technique will only work for solid-type plinths. It will not work with plinths that have to have cut outs to accommodate mechanisms (i.e. Garrards). I guess it is only good for belt drives.

Mandy

Perfect! Let me know the arrangements. :)
yellowpaper
Citizen
Citizen

Location: Colorado, Washington, DC, Alaska, Oregon and counting

Re: THE ASKAL TURNTABLE PART I

Postby mandym » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:49 pm

yellowpaper wrote:
mandym wrote:
yellowpaper wrote:Nice one Sir Mandy and very well thought of too if I may add. I liked they way you designed the plinth to control/minimize the vibrations. Could I commission you to do the same concept with my TT? Kudos :clap: :y: :)

The framing technique will only work for solid-type plinths. It will not work with plinths that have to have cut outs to accommodate mechanisms (i.e. Garrards). I guess it is only good for belt drives.

Mandy

Perfect! Let me know the arrangements. :)

Sent you a PM, thanks.
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: THE ASKAL: All parts + Purloined motor

Postby mandym » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:39 am

Couldn't wait for a new motor, so I "borrowed" the motor from my 20-year old VPI turntable! This is pretty much how the finished turntable will look:

Every father's daughter is beautiful, so please don't ask me how she looks :D :D .

As far as the "sound" goes, to my ears, it is by far the best sounding table I have ever made. Given the amount of "tweaks" I piled upon it, I do not know exactly what got me to my personal best. I am sure though that this is one turntable that I will sorely miss when the owner comes to claim it!
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: THE ASKAL: All parts + Purloined Motor

Postby quarterback » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:41 am

Bravo, Herr Mandy :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
quarterback
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby pigdog » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:01 am

and taken on a beautiful day as well!
mandym wrote:Couldn't wait for a new motor, so I "borrowed" the motor from my 20-year old VPI turntable! This is pretty much how the finished turntable will look:

Every father's daughter is beautiful, so please don't ask me how she looks :D :D .

As far as the "sound" goes, to my ears, it is by far the best sounding table I have ever made. Given the amount of "tweaks" I piled upon it, I do not know exactly what got me to my personal best. I am sure though that this is one turntable that I will sorely miss when the owner comes to claim it!
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby august » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:47 am

Just beautiful, Neighbor! :clap: :clap: :clap:
august
Citizen
Citizen

Postby camotecue » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:22 pm

wow! pwede mahiram bago lumipad yan? :) :) :)

joke lang!
camotecue
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JoeyGS » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:53 pm

Kahit around Laguna lang :rofl:

camotecue wrote:wow! pwede mahiram bago lumipad yan? :) :) :)

joke lang!
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Tjaderman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:32 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Tjaderman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mullard88 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:15 pm

Hi mandym,

Somehow, I am getting visions that this turntable will have at least three arms.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mandym » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:22 pm

You could be a prophet. If the owner gets hooked into Analog, it will have 3 tonearms faster than you can say ASKAL :D :D .
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby lovejbl » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:29 pm

mandym wrote:Couldn't wait for a new motor, so I "borrowed" the motor from my 20-year old VPI turntable! This is pretty much how the finished turntable will look:

Kuya Mandy gusto namin ni Manny Vasquez to be next in-line para gumawa ka ulit ng ganyang kalikasan. :-) lovejbl
lovejbl
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:51 pm

All I can say is wow :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :D
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby vintage_dog » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:33 am

Absolutely beautiful :clap:
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby trod93 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:12 am

Galing!!! Inspiring!!! Makagawa pa kaya ako ng ganito in my lifetime? Sana habaan pa buhay ko ni Lord. :?:
trod93
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:49 am

trod93 wrote:Galing!!! Inspiring!!! Makagawa pa kaya ako ng ganito in my lifetime? Sana habaan pa buhay ko ni Lord. :?:

As what Mandy advised me before when I was just starting....... Just do it!!!!! :D
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby mandym » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:03 pm

Jon Agner wrote:
trod93 wrote:Galing!!! Inspiring!!! Makagawa pa kaya ako ng ganito in my lifetime? Sana habaan pa buhay ko ni Lord. :?:

As what Mandy advised me before when I was just starting....... Just do it!!!!! :D

YUP. Just do it. The first time will probably be a mess but the second will surely be better and so will the third! I have noticed that you do good work and very resourceful, a true DIYer. You won't have too much of a problem. Besides your WS friends are here and willing to help.

Mandym
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby trod93 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:18 am

Jon Agner wrote:As what Mandy advised me before when I was just starting....... Just do it!!!!! :D

mandym wrote:YUP. Just do it. The first time will probably be a mess but the second will surely be better and so will the third! I have noticed that you do good work and very resourceful, a true DIYer. You won't have too much of a problem. Besides your WS friends are here and willing to help.

mandym and jon: I'm working on it. Thanks.

P.S. Well, since you guys just mentioned it, " Besides your WS friends are here and willing to help.". What are the tools needed to accurately align a tonearm? TIA
trod93
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mandym » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:46 pm

There is a glut of stuff available to align a tonearm. If you want some freebies, google "cartridge alignment tool". You might also want to buy one that cost more than your mid-priced cartridge (Feickert protractor for $249.99!!).

A cheap protractor is fine for me. Just between you and me, I find that slight errors in alignment do not make or break a tonearms "sound". Rather it is the arm material, resonance, construction, bearings, etc. that impart the sonic signature of a particular tonearm. The most expensive protractor cannot alter it.

After the tonearm is aligned for tangency at 2 specific points and the tracking force and anti-skate are set, the really difficult task is in making sure that the stylus rides the record grooves the way it should, not tilted to one side and with the correct Vertical Tracking Angle. Only then can one assess how good a tonearm is. Be forewarned though that lower quality tonearms/cartridges are immune to these requirements. It seems inconsistent (not so, after a little reflection) but the better the tonearm, the "more perfect" the stylus attitude needs to be! You know you are on the right track when changes to the VTA and Azimuth alters the quality of the "sound".

Fortunately there are excellent and indispensable tools available to guide us; they are located on the sides of our heads.
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Mandy's Wonders