Audiostar's braso de kamagong

Moderator: mandym

Re: Audiostar's braso de kamagong

Postby vintage_dog » Sun May 10, 2009 7:51 am

congrats to mandy and val!

chester, i'll join you when you visit val... ;)
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby mandym » Sun May 10, 2009 8:08 am

vintage_dog wrote:congrats to mandy and val!

chester, i'll join you when you visit val... ;)

Francis, you and Chester owe it to yourselves to bum a visit to Val's Pleasure Palace! With or without the Braso arm, the soundfield is something to lust for! Val had painstakingly tweaked the listening environment so that it was a pleasure to just sit there and be taken in by the music; I would have begged to stay till dinner had I not planned to go visit Jack's always wonderful parties.
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby hypertriode » Sun May 10, 2009 9:15 am

beautiful work of art! congrats val and senor mandy! :clap:
hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby audiostar » Sun May 10, 2009 12:41 pm

@VD, pigdog, Halls, Doc Lito, Pareng Randy, brader Rene and the to rest of the WS/BB gang you're always invited to visit my humble musical den. But this time around I guess we'll have to sched it in batches for serious listening. The optimum number of listeners that my music room can handle without sacrificing the SQ is four pax. But there should be no limit when the purpose is to get-together for fun and camaraderie and most of all, OPLAN :lol: :lol: Let's bring it on :rock:
audiostar

Location: audio nirvana st., speakers corner ave. music city, mars

Postby Jon Agner » Mon May 11, 2009 11:24 am

audiostar wrote:@VD, pigdog, Halls, Doc Lito, Pareng Randy, brader Rene and the to rest of the WS/BB gang you're always invited to visit my humble musical den. But this time around I guess we'll have to sched it in batches for serious listening. The optimum number of listeners that my music room can handle without sacrificing the SQ is four pax. But there should be no limit when the purpose is to get-together for fun and camaraderie and most of all, OPLAN :lol: :lol: Let's bring it on :rock:

End of the month? :?: :D
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby audiostar » Tue May 19, 2009 9:32 pm

I have finally set up my braso de kamagong to the parameters set forth by baerwald geometry. The cart (initially shure m97 and lasty ZYX airy S) has also been aligned to its exact parameters. I have listened to my system for three straight nights and this is my impression written in simplest terms:

It would not be fair to compare the 'Braso' to my FRfx using different carts. So what I did was used both carts on the two arms to compare their sonic differences. Only one LP was used as a reference: Royal Ballet

*'Braso' fitted with m97: broad soundstage, warm mids and tight lows. The highs lack the intensity I've grown familiar with.

*FR fitted with m97: broad soundstage, the slam of the mid-bass was evident, also reproduce warm mids, but still no intensity on the highs.

*'Braso' fitted with ZYX: Ooohhhlala!!!! wider and holographic soundstage, pinpoint imaging, perfect tonal balance, slambang lows, engaging mids and oh that intensity of several violins playing as one were clearly electrifying.

*FR with ZYX: Oooops. I couldn't hear any difference, except that FR/ZYX combo seems to be just a teeny-weeny bit better in reproducing the mid bass. Trust me, the 'Braso', proudly Philippine-made is at par with the caliber of world's best.

Pardon me, but I have replaced my SME 309 with FRfx because the latter matches with my system very well. This just goes to prove that the 'Braso' will also do well against SME 309, at least in my system.

Conclusion: The 'Braso' will be in my music den for keeps!!!!!! :) :)

And before I forget, I'm very pleased with the lifter Master Mandy custom-built (will post pics later) for the 'Braso'. It's actually the lifter of my old AT tonearm whose anti-skating control broke, and which Master Mandy adapted to fit with the 'Braso'. It now makes cueing a very pleasant experience for me. :)
audiostar

Postby mandym » Tue May 19, 2009 11:07 pm

YEOW!!

I thought your system sounded great with the M97, now you say Oolala with the ZYX! Methinks somehow I have to make another pilgrimage to your aural teleporter.

Val, it's an honor to have my arm compared to a legendary arm. I am very happy with your impressions. Thanks much.

Two things before I go:
1. I would really like to find just how good the Kamagong arm tracks. You said it passed the 1812 torture track, are there any "worse" ones?
2. I am not too sure anymore about the merit of playing/replaying of the same track during cart/arm shootouts. I have read before that some audio nuts recommend waiting overnight to replay a record to allow the physically disturbed vinyl to reform.I do notice that many records left unplayed for months sound dynamic and "sparkly", less so after several playings.

Mandy
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby audiostar » Sun May 24, 2009 3:59 pm

Hi Mandy, been busy preparing for the 'big moment' that a client will face a few days from now, so my audio and WS activities are taking a backseat at the moment. I didn't realize that I have not logged on for almost four days now. Anyway the 'braso' has passed the torture test, as I have narrated earlier. I can't remember any worst moments whenever it does it job. I think I'm going to enjoy the music it brings for a long long time :)
audiostar

Previous

Return to Mandy's Wonders