Brass Wonder: 103 Nudy

Moderator: mandym

Brass Wonder: 103 Nudy

Postby stereophile » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:01 am

Here is the Master's latest creation: a stripped down, nude Denon DL-103 on a brass plate:

It's beautiful in all it's naked glory! :lol:

How does it sound? Ohhh, it's just like the warm, lush, intimate embrace of a woman with her scent enveloping you, overpowering you to submission. :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: I had a hard time pulling myself away from the system to shut it down. ;)

Congratulations, Mandy, on this simple yet exceptional tweak for the Denon DL-103! :clap: :clap: :clap:
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Re: Brass Wonder: 103 Nudy

Postby rtsyrtsy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:52 am

Hi Doc,

If you have time, can you please share what the differences are with the stock 103?

Cheers!
rtsyrtsy

Postby mandym » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:31 am

This is great news indeed. Finally, a very affordable, very high performance cartridge. I am as anxious as rtsy2 to find out more about it's sound after you have done some more listening tests.

I picked up the idea last year from another website and I suggested it when Doc Lito had inquired about alternative Denon tweaks. Since we both have heard about brass' magic in things audio, we went for it. It looks like we succeeded.

If there's a lot of interest, I can make a drawing and post it here. It is very easy to make. A rickety machine shop can probably make a whole bunch of them for peanuts.

Sorry Doc Lito, I charged you a pretty penny for it. You know, Development cost and "stuff". Consider that as yet another of your contributions in the search of Excellence in Audio :clap: :clap: .
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby DCO » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:33 am

Hello mandy,
What can i say! ;)
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
DCO
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mandym » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:50 am

OT ALERT!!

Stop the presses! How about using the composite material (I forgot the name of the company) that is placed on top of equipment to block/drain EMI and other nasty signals! My offer...someone send me a small piece and I will see if I can make a Denon base out of it.

OT OVER.
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Superman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:00 am

CONGRATULATIONS Doc, CONGRATULATIONS Sir Mandy! I want too in the near future... :D :clap: :clap: :clap:
Superman
Master Showman

Postby JackD201 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:21 am

A Shakti Cart? :devil:

Tito Mandy, I'll be scheding a trip to laguna to visit you and Val soon :clap:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby pigdog » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:39 am

hi mandy was the material you are referring to is carbon fiber?
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby Superman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:49 am

JackD201 wrote:A Shakti Cart? :devil:

Tito Mandy, I'll be scheding a trip to laguna to visit you and Val soon :clap:

How about March 14th?? 8) 8)
Superman
Master Showman

Postby zetroce » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:55 am

Congratulations mandy and doc orca!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

BTW, nice " NUDE " photography!!! ;)

stereophile wrote:Image

It's beautiful in all it's naked glory! :lol:

zetroce
Master
Master

Postby babydoc » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:04 am

mandym wrote:This is great news indeed. Finally, a very affordable, very high performance cartridge. I am as anxious as rtsy2 to find out more about it's sound after you have done some more listening tests.

I picked up the idea last year from another website and I suggested it when Doc Lito had inquired about alternative Denon tweaks. Since we both have heard about brass' magic in things audio, we went for it. It looks like we succeeded.

If there's a lot of interest, I can make a drawing and post it here. It is very easy to make. A rickety machine shop can probably make a whole bunch of them for peanuts.

Sorry Doc Lito, I charged you a pretty penny for it. You know, Development cost and "stuff". Consider that as yet another of your contributions in the search of Excellence in Audio :clap: :clap: .

Hi,

drawing will be very much appreciated...not everybody can have the guts to tweak/disaasemble their beloved cartridge but if you have drawing this will guide and the needed strength for DIY'ers . cheers..very nice one.
babydoc
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JoeyGS » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:05 am

Mandym and Doc Lito --- congrats and well done...ang galing.

Doc Lito,

Just curious.... How does this brass wonder 103 compare now with the stock 103R, the kamagong 103R, and the AT F3 II?

Your invaluable review is highly appreciated.

Regards,
Joey
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby detubo » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:21 am

doc you seem to be the leading 103 fashioninsta with mandy as your in house couturier. tres bon! 8)
detubo
Master
Master

Postby Jon Agner » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:46 am

babydoc wrote:
mandym wrote:This is great news indeed. Finally, a very affordable, very high performance cartridge. I am as anxious as rtsy2 to find out more about it's sound after you have done some more listening tests.

Hi,

drawing will be very much appreciated...not everybody can have the guts to tweak/disaasemble their beloved cartridge but if you have drawing this will guide and the needed strength for DIY'ers . cheers..very nice one.

Babydoc,

There's a video on how to dissassemble the DL 103 in Thomas Schick's website. However, be warned, as at the end of the video, you'll see that what has been dissecting is a DL 103 w/o any stylus :o :o :o

Also, you can PM AMANDARAE so he can send you a copy of the instructions :)

Kidding aside, as long as you have steady hands, dissecting is is quite easy, It took me less than 15 minutes to do one :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby stereophile » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:45 am

zetroce wrote:BTW, nice " NUDE " photography!!! ;)

stereophile wrote:Image

Dong- Thanks! Sadly, I don't own a digital SLR. I used the macro setting of my 7.2 mega pixel Sony P&S only. :)
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby Mamimili » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:04 pm

:clap: :clap: save $150 and improve the sound :clap: :clap:
This has to be worth 15 minutes effort.
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby stereophile » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:24 pm

detubo wrote:doc you seem to be the leading 103 fashioninsta with mandy as your in house couturier. tres bon! 8)

Sadly, I've run out of 103s to 'undress'... :(
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby mandym » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:47 pm

I agree with Zetroce 100%. The hereby appoint Doc Lito as the Dungeonmeister's official nude photographer!

As far as the material I had in mind, YES! the Shakti stone it is, favorably reviewed in TNT and other sites. If it is machinable I can make a nude Denon mounting plate from it. It costs about $200 but many pieces can be made from it so, pwede share-share arrangement.

Anyone willing to trailblaze?
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Mamimili » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:58 pm

mandym wrote:I agree with Zetroce 100%. The hereby appoint Doc Lito as the Dungeonmeister's official nude photographer!

As far as the material I had in mind, YES! the Shakti stone it is, favorably reviewed in TNT and other sites. If it is machinable I can make a nude Denon mounting plate from it. It costs about $200 but many pieces can be made from it so, pwede share-share arrangement.

Anyone willing to trailblaze?

Count me in. 1,2 or 3........ :D
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby kabubi » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:01 pm

mandym wrote:It costs about $200 but many pieces can be made from it so, pwede share-share arrangement.Anyone willing to trailblaze?

count me in for a group-share effort. it it's mandy's creations, i'm all for it.
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Next

Return to Mandy's Wonders