R-Rated Denon

Moderator: mandym

Re: R-Rated Denon

Postby ttommy » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:15 pm

Congrats on another fine creation, Mandy! Wish you could do a few simultaneously and review the sound of different woods 8)

OT question for Abe (great pics, btw ;) )-- where could you source Panzerholz in the US? Tried getting in touch with their Canadian office a couple years ago pero ini-isnub ako.
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mandym » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:25 pm

alexg wrote:Hi Sir Mandy, is the "binayabas" reddish and color and very dense? If you are referring to a species that I know, that wood will not float on water.

BTW, what will be an ideal wooden case for the cartridge? hard? non-resonant?

How about a tonearm? What physical characteristic will you look for?

The wood I have is streaked reddish and black and sinks like a rock in water. It's really hard. Any other name for it? Do you have a source of the old wood strop that the barbers of yore used? It is very light but strong, I want to use it for a tone arm that will absorb vibrations from the cartridge. I continue to be frustrated finding one.

Tonyboy, as long as my milling bits hold up I can make one for you.

Amandarae, by the looks of Mandy, you must have a stunning better half. No wonder you don't want to post her picture.

Mandy
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby amandarae » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:29 pm

ttommy wrote:Congrats on another fine creation, Mandy! Wish you could do a few simultaneously and review the sound of different woods 8)

OT question for Abe (great pics, btw ;) )-- where could you source Panzerholz in the US? Tried getting in touch with their Canadian office a couple years ago pero ini-isnub ako.

ttommy,
Thanks! Anyway, I bought my wooden shells from Uwe (Germany). As I recall, Panzerholz were made for bulletproofing German tanks. I have not tried sourcing it here locally.

regards,

Abe
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby amandarae » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:30 pm

mandym wrote: Amandarae, by the looks of Mandy, you must have a stunning better half. No wonder you don't want to post her picture.

Mandy

Ahhh, charming and a real gentleman as well!

Thank you sir!

regards,

Abe
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ttommy » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:36 pm

Thanks, abe! Sorry for the OT, Mandy.
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby alexg » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:03 pm

mandym wrote:[
The wood I have is streaked reddish and black and sinks like a rock in water. It's really hard. Any other name for it? Do you have a source of the old wood strop that the barbers of yore used? It is very light but strong, I want to use it for a tone arm that will absorb vibrations from the cartridge. I continue to be frustrated finding one.

The "binayabas" is also known as "malabayabas" in Quezon province. If you need this wood, I have plenty.

I will have to to find out which species of wood they use for barber strop. If you know the name of the species, I can help you locate some.
alexg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:26 pm

alexg wrote:
mandym wrote:[

The "binayabas" is also known as "malabayabas" in Quezon province. If you need this wood, I have plenty.

I will have to to find out which species of wood they use for barber strop. If you know the name of the species, I can help you locate some.

alex,

Ano characteristics nung Malabayabas? :?: :) does this bend or twist like the Kamagong? :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby alexg » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:05 pm

Jon Agner wrote:alex,

Ano characteristics nung Malabayabas? :?: :) does this bend or twist like the Kamagong? :)

Very dense wood, denser than water, it will sink. Tight grained line kamagong, but will bend easier than kamagong.

It is seldom used in construction because it is very hard to work on, it will dull wood cutting tools quite easy (medyo mataas ang silica content, so blades will dull easy). But some people use it for beams and floor joist, very sturdy and medyo hindi kinakain ng anay. It is straight grained version of molave.

Reddish color with black/grey stripes (if I remember right). :)
alexg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:38 pm

alexg wrote:

Very dense wood, denser than water, it will sink. Tight grained line kamagong, but will bend easier than kamagong.

It is seldom used in construction because it is very hard to work on, it will dull wood cutting tools quite easy (medyo mataas ang silica content, so blades will dull easy). But some people use it for beams and floor joist, very sturdy and medyo hindi kinakain ng anay. It is straight grained version of molave.

Baka pwede nga yan as a tonearm ;) :D
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby quarterback » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:48 pm

mandym wrote:
alexg wrote:

mandy,

hope this helps. just checked "the national structural code of the phils" and the following are species of high strength wood and their respective realtive densities:

1. malabayabas aka tiga (0.90)
2. manggachapui aka dalingdingan, yakal-saplungan; (0.71)
3. agoho (0.84)
4. liusin (0.79)
5. molave (0.69)
6. sasalit (0.90)
7. yakal (0.76)

kamagong (0.72)

the wood that sinks in water is called "mancono". specific gravity (relative density) is 1.07. water is 1.0
Last edited by quarterback on Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quarterback
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby quarterback » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:49 pm

Jon Agner wrote:
alexg wrote:

Baka pwede nga yan as a tonearm ;) :D

jon,

if the grains are straight it will be prone to cracking just like yakal.
quarterback
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby quarterback » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:21 pm

jon,

madalas ka rin lang san pablo, you can pass by forrest products at up los banos. they have samples of different species of hardwood. you can even ask the properties of each specie from the technicians.

tapos pasalubungan mo na rin ako ng Buku pie. :hai:
quarterback
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby alexg » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:37 pm

Jon Agner wrote:Baka pwede nga yan as a tonearm ;) :D

Hi Jon,

What properties would you look for in wood for it to be good for tonearm?

If you are always going to San Pablo, drop by at UP Los Banos College of Natural Resources and Forestry, at their Wood Science Department, there are wood physicists there that study wood physical properties, they might be able to help you with choosing the right species for a tonearm. Wood properties are so varied even in the same species, that most publication will only give you relative values and actual values can vary a lot. Malabayabas density can be over 1.0 but some publication will list it at a relative density of 0.9+. I guess it depends on the quality of the wood that you have.

If you want I can give you malabayabas samples (it is in my house in Quezon province, let me know what size you need), I can get some the next time I go to Quezon. :)

If you want I can hook you up with the Dean and/or the chair of the Wood Science Department (they are former classmates).
alexg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby highlander » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:00 pm

Just wondering...what wood do they use for the drum sticks? They are light but quite
durable...haven't seen a broken drum stick yet..... ;)

I'm planning to DIY a tone arm and plan to use them....pwede kaya? |( :$
highlander
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:00 pm

quarterback wrote:jon,

madalas ka rin lang san pablo, you can pass by forrest products at up los banos. they have samples of different species of hardwood. you can even ask the properties of each specie from the technicians.

tapos pasalubungan mo na rin ako ng Buku pie. :hai:

alexg wrote:Hi Jon,

What properties would you look for in wood for it to be good for tonearm?

If you are always going to San Pablo, drop by at UP Los Banos College of Natural Resources and Forestry, at their Wood Science Department, there are wood physicists there that study wood physical properties, they might be able to help you with choosing the right species for a tonearm. Wood properties are so varied even in the same species, that most publication will only give you relative values and actual values can vary a lot.

If you want I can give you malabayabas samples (it is in my house in Quezon province, let me know what size you need), I can get some the next time I go to Quezon.

If you want I can hook you up with the Dean and/or the chair of the Wood Science Department (they are former classmates)

Alex, To-Chi

Thanks for the heads up. Pag pumunta ako ng Los Baños, I'll try to hook up with them :) Or maybe I'll drop by the DENR office in Los Baños na rin :D As what quarterback mentioned, the wood should not crack, or even show signs of cracking :)

Anyway, what I'm (as well as MandyM) also after is the the resonances of different types of wood species. As I understood it, each type of wood has it's own particular (frequency) resonance qualities, reason why each musical instrument (say a violin) sounds differently when a different type of wood is used :)

Quarterback - according to August, may mas masarap pa daw na buko pie sa Los Baños, aside from d' original :) Sige, pag punta ko doon, pasalubungan kita :D

Thanks guys :D
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:02 pm

highlander wrote:Just wondering...what wood do they use for the drum sticks? They are light but quite
durable...haven't seen a broken drum stick yet..... ;)

I'm planning to DIY a tone arm and plan to use them....pwede kaya? |( :$

Jon,

that's either Pine or Birch :?: :) I think I gave a set to my brother Lec, which he made into a tonearm :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby obi » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:11 pm

any idea what wood is used in violin bows? mejo lightweight and looks sturdy. saw some at a yamaha store.
obi
Citizen
Citizen

Postby kabubi » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:29 pm

highlander wrote:Just wondering...what wood do they use for the drum sticks?

Maple!
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby amandarae » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:01 pm

What's the difference between "malabayabas" and "binayabas" ?

Is the former looking forward to be the latter or is it the other way around? :D

regards,

Abe
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby pigdog » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:35 pm

i have some suggestions for the types of wood that may have potential:

African Blackwood which is used in the old days for making clarinet bodies. also used for making guitar frets. these are very dense and heavy wood. a friend of mine who does custom work swears by them and these are available online precut.
The timber is extremely hard and heavy, therefore of little common use locally. Makers of woodwind musical instruments prefer it to ebony, because of its FINE TONAL AND ACCOUSTIC QUALITY and extreme stability and resistance to saliva. It is also recognised, because of its constant density, as the best timber for ornamentals and turnery of cues, walking sticks, bobbins,butts of sport weapons, cutlery, knives, technical items, pins, spindles, tools and drumsticks.

Rosewood, hualimu Rosewood is a deep, ruddy brown to purplish-brown colour, richly streaked and grained with black resinous layers. It takes a fine polish but because of its resinous nature is difficult to work. The heartwood attains large dimensions, but squared logs or planks are never seen because before the tree arrives at maturity, the heartwood begins to decay, making it faulty and hollow at the centre.

Once much in demand by cabinetmakers and piano makers, the wood is still used to fashion xylophone bars, but waning supplies restrict its use in contemporary furniture making.

Chinese Blackwood similar in characteristics as the african blackwood mentioned above, these were popular with the southern chinese style furnitures from the late 19th century to the 1930s heavy and very dense wood, the furnitures in my grandfathers mausoleum at the chinese cemetary in manila are made of chinese blackwood with mother of pearl inlay

"Chicken Wing" wood, very very fine grain and very elegant wood, also very expensive, i have shot pieces of chinese furnitures using these type of wood, not sure what it is called in english but this is the literal translation from chinese text pronounced in chinese as Jichimu. the chinese craftsmens usually make very simple and elegant furniture out of these type of wood. Jichimu, literally translated as 'chicken-wing wood', describes a wood whose deep brown and gray patterns when cut tangentially resemble the patterns of bird feathers. The radial cut appears less dramatically with parallel lines of concentric layered tissue. It is botanically classified in the Ormosia genus of which as many as twenty-six species may grow in China. Jichimu is indigenous to Hainan Island, and the relatively large quantity of jichimu furniture found in Fujian province also corresponds to a source where seven different species are reportedly found today, and whose materials are virtually undifferentiated, yet bear varying leaf patterns. Hongdou (red bean), and xiangsi may also be other names for related species.

Walnut hetaomu Walnut was used for many examples of Qing period furniture sourced from the Shanxi region, which generally demonstrate refined workmanship; earlier pieces are extremely rare. Walnut is easily confused with nanmu, however, the surface of walnut tends to have more of an open-grained texture, and the color tends more towards golden-brown or reddish-brown when contrasted with the olive-brown tones of nanmu. Furthermore, their freshly worked surfaces each emit a distinctive fragrance.

China has several species of walnut that produce timber suited for high-quality furniture-making. True Walnut (J. regia L.) is generally cultivated in the north and northwestern regions, but also extends into the southwestern provinces. It is a deciduous tree reaching 20 meters in height that produces an edible nut that can be pressed into a high-quality vegetable oil. The light-colored sapwood is clearly distinguishable from the heartwood, the latter being reddish-brown too chestnut-brown in color, and sometimes even purplish, or with darker striated patterning. It dries very slowly, but is quite stable afterwards. It is of medium density (±62 g/cm3) and has a relatively fine texture.

Because True Walnut is generally cultivated for its fruit rather than timber, Manchurian Walnut (J. mandsharica M.) is often used in its place. It is distributed throughout the northern to northeastern forests of China. It is somewhat lower in density (±.53 g/cm3) than True Walnut, and somewhat lighter in color. Wild Walnut (J. cathayensis) is distributed throughout central-to-eastern China, with noted concentrations in Yunnan province.

The dark, fine-grained wood of English and black walnuts is used for furniture, panelling, and gunstocks. It's tough wood has a medium density and straight grain.

Sandalwood zitanmu Both tree and roots contain a yellow aromatic oil, called sandalwood oil, the odor of which persists for years in such articles as ornamental boxes, furniture, and fans made of the white sapwood.

Sandalwood trees have been cultivated since antiquity for their yellowish heartwood, which plays a major role in many Oriental funeral ceremonies and religious rites.

The trees are slow growing, usually taking about 30 years for the heartwood to reach an economically useful thickness.

Zitan is an extremely dense wood which sinks in water. It is a member of the rosewood family and is botanically classified in the Pterocarpus genus. The wood is blackish-purple to blackish-red in color, and its fibers are laden with deep red pigments which have been used for dye since ancient times. The fine texture of the wood grain is especially suitable for intricate carving.

Early records indicate that zitan was sourced in tropical forests of southern China, throughout Indochina, and from Hainan Island. The tree grows quite slowly. Few pieces are known to be greater than one foot in width. While the tree has been considered to be extinct, new sources have been discovered in Indo-China as well as Southeast Asia over the recent years.

my personal favorite is the Huanghuali
Huanghuali huanghuali The Chinese term huanghuali literally means "yellow flowering pear" wood. It is a member of the rosewood family and is botanically classified as Dalbergia odorifera. In premodern times the wood was know as huali or hualu. The modifier huang (yellowish-brown) was added in the early twentieth century to describe old huali wood whose surfaces had mellowed to a yellowish tone due to long exposure to light. The sweet fragrance of huali distinguishes it from the similar appearing but pungent-odored hongmu.

The finest huanghuali has a translucent shimmering surface with abstractly figured patterns that delight the eye--those appearing like ghost faces were highly prized. The color can range from reddish-brown to golden-yellow. Historical references point to Hainan Island as the main source of huali. However, variations in the color, figure, and density suggest similar species sourced throughout North Vietnam, Guangxi, Indochina and the other isles of the South China Sea.

Teak youmu Teak timber is valued in warm countries principally for its extraordinary durability. In India and in Burma, beams of the wood in good preservation are often found in buildings many centuries old, and teak beams have lasted in palaces and temples more than 1,000 years. The timber is practically imperishable under cover.

Teakwood is used for shipbuilding, fine furniture, door and window frames, wharves, bridges, cooling-tower louvres, flooring, panelling, railway cars, and venetian blinds. An important property of teak is its extremely good dimensional stability. It is strong, of medium weight, and of average hardness. Termites eat the sapwood but rarely attack the heartwood; it is not, however, completely resistant to marine borers.
pigdog
Master
Master

PreviousNext

Return to Mandy's Wonders