Local DIYer gets cold feet!

Moderator: mandym

Postby JackD201 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:56 am

Panay Photogenic ah :lol:

Tito Mandy has been quiet......what is our resident senior genius cooking up kaya?
JackD201
Immortal

Postby mandym » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:37 pm

JackD201 wrote:Panay Photogenic ah :lol:

Tito Mandy has been quiet......what is our resident senior genius cooking up kaya?

Relax Jack, nothing too sinister from the Dungeon Master!

I'm just really enjoying the Amorsolo II deck with the latest "optimizations". You see, listening to my deck at the LAIR convinced me that the path I am taking (i.e. the dissipation of unwanted vibrations) is of major import! I have since then done the following which took the sound of the deck to a higher level of realism:

A. Increased the size of the arm pod (which in my deck is the veritable "sink hole" for vibrations coming from the tonearm). The volume of the new pod is 4x the original. 4x volume=4x absorption? Maybe.

B. For more efficient energy "drainage" from the tonearm, a mounting collar is no longer used. Instead, the post is mounted direct to the pod and a set screw threaded to the pod.

C. To help damp out vinyl vibrations I now use a record weight with a 1/2 inch Sorbothane on the bottom.

I also did what I've always wanted to do; to separate the normally intertwined left and right tonearm wires in order to minimize crosstalk.

At this stage I feel I can't make much more progress unless I change the turntable motor. A stethoscope reveals the enormous amount of garbage the motor dumps on the platter and hence to the record! A quiet motor, my Dungeon for a quiet motor!

For a long time now, I have been lusting after a Koetsu or a ZYX. It looks like I'll just have to continue lusting. First things first, right now I am negotiating to buy a P27,000 motor. OUCH.

Mandym
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Mandy's Wonders