YOU SAW IT HERE FIRST FOLKS!

Moderator: mandym

YOU SAW IT HERE FIRST FOLKS!

Postby mandym » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:07 am

Rats!! Had I the resources of the ZYX people my SSS (Sweet Spot Shifter) would have been perfected by the Dungeon Labs many years ago!

Last night I read about the $16,000 ZYX Diamond !!!!! which had a weird-looking knob in front of the cartridge. It is described as a device to optimize the location of the cartridge's centroid (sweet spot). Well, I'll be darned!!

I had been working along that track for many years now, starting in 2004 when I first demo'ed an early Kamagong tonearm at VD's house http://www.wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2088&start40, page 3. It was first described in response to JR's question "What is that thing dangling on the headshell for?".

I gave it a "tease" preview at the 2006 HiFi Show http://www.wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=11825&start=140 page8. It was wholeheartedly ignored. I suppose it was imagined to be too novel or too radical to be given much thought :) :) .

It saw light again at Jack's Lair http://www.wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=998&t=18097start=40 page3. Unfortunately it is best remembered when Arnold asked if it was tilted and I kidded him that it might be his camera that's tilted :D :D

I can't say which SSS "sounds" better. What I can say is that the Pinoy version having been born in poverty is easily adjustable to accommodate various cartridges and tonearms. The Japanese version is not. The SSS has to be adjusted for different cartridge and tonearm weights for optimal performance! The Japanese version cannot do this!

I have been continually using the SSS in various configuration with a high degree of satisfaction. The only other person who is being pleasured by the devise is Pigdog who has it mounted on the Kamagong tonearm I made for him http://www.wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=99&t=21048, page1.

There Chester, the cat is out of the bag, the info has been declassified. I free you from your vow of secrecy.

I think in this case, lowly Pinoy DIY edges out a Japanese high end manufacturer. Seriously!
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: YOU SAW IT HERE FIRST FOLKS!

Postby pigdog » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:35 pm

hi mandy
i have been absent in the forums for the past several months and i missed this post, and yes the SSS works, everyone who visited my hole can attest that the kamagong arm is a world class performer and it can beat the schroeders and my 929 emt arm on a head to head match up you should have patented your invention bro! i agree with you, yours is indeed more practical as it can be used with different carts whereas the jap version is overpriced beyond belief and only applied to their high end cart

i am so looking forward to my next wooden arm as finally i can get to setup my westrex ttable

ctr
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby mandym » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:10 am

Thanks Chester. Actually, what you hear is the combination of the wood tonearm and the SSS, each one independently working to make happy sounds. You are being hit on both ears with a sonic double punch :D. Glad you like what you hear.

You will notice that this thread had been as quiet as a tomb. I think most Filipinos are a bit shy or at least "hindi bilib" with most LOCALLY invented/produced products. Well, me too! I have been burned and faked out so many times by local goods and "pseudo-scientific" claims that I have now developed the same unhealthy attitude. What I don't understand is why are foreign goods automatically given a pass specially if their prices are high? Let's leave that question to the Psychologists :) .

I did not patent the item because it is a pain to do it. I have several Patents where I used to work and we had to have our own full time Patent attorney. Aside from that, we knew that if a big company decides to infringe on your Patent, you will end up too broke to pursue your case. My inventor cousin Gary Vazquez had sued Ayala for Patent infringement and for years lived in fear of losing his home. After many years (10, 20?) he finally won the judgement but he has yet to get his money!

I am a better scientist than a businessman. Creating a successful invention or a device is what makes me happy. Of course getting a monetary reward will make me happier and getting approval of my peers will make me happiest :D :D .
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby pigdog » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:52 am

well i hear what i hear and i like what i hear, others agreed as well that is why i am enthusiastic about your efforts, it is sad that most everyone else would prefer to go to a bigger name even if they have not actually heard it
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby hshrader » Wed May 13, 2015 8:36 am

Brand history is important
hshrader
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Mamimili » Wed May 13, 2015 7:46 pm

If brand history was important to me, i would not have "unknowns" - preamps, amps, phono stages etc. that all produce open mouths and happy ears.
Add leather bags to the list....
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby camotecue » Wed May 13, 2015 8:15 pm

I have a friend who's reasoning behind his purchase of branded audio products is the resale value when he grows tired of them. :)
camotecue
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Mamimili » Wed May 13, 2015 8:20 pm

camotecue wrote:I have a friend who's reasoning behind his purchase of branded audio products is the resale value when he grows tired of them. :)

the majority of my purchases will be fought over when i am dead...
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby JackD201 » Wed May 13, 2015 10:48 pm

camotecue wrote:I have a friend who's reasoning behind his purchase of branded audio products is the resale value when he grows tired of them. :)

I can't fault the economic sense of that for as long as whatever he buys he enjoys. Personally I like being off the beaten and well worn path once in awhile. We pick up stuff that's not famous but end up famous and more expensive later. That's one way to save money. :D
JackD201
Immortal

Return to Mandy's Wonders