Musicality - what it means to you...

Solidstate (amps, preamps), Tweaks, Cables, New gear, etc...

Moderators: Hyperion, KD

Postby conspicuous » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:05 pm

just a note for informational purposes (i.e., useless trivia :lol: ):

frank zappa to me always had well recorded/produced albums. it just came to my attention that on his 1982 "ship arriving too late to save a drowning witch" album (the one with the song "valley girl" with his daughter valley girl rapping through it) there's a small box at the lower right corner of the record sleeve which says:

this album has been engineered to sound correct on JBL 4311 speakers or an equivalent. best results will be achieved if you set your pre-amp tone controls to the flat position with the loudness control in the off position. before adding any treble or bass to the sound of the album, it would be advisable to check it out this way first. - F.Z.
conspicuous
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:39 pm

Hi Jadis, chances are the fault would lie with the mass reproduction facility. This is becoming a hot topic in audiophile land now (see last month's stereophile) Clearaudio just bought a pressing plant and I must say the re-issues they've busted out are excellent. Silence is almost nippon like. Sorry for the delay about the you know what I reserved. I have been really busy. Can I pass by tom evening after work? I'll call you tom.

Con, Ok yan ah, I remember the JBL studio monitors. The last time I saw a pair was in Cinema Audio around 1983 and some variants were used in what I feel was still the best ever sounding Dance Club, Kudos. Well Kudos is now Pharoah and I hear it is much more enjoyable now even with the BOSE karaoke speakers. :lol: :lol: :lol:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jadis » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:36 pm

No problem, Jack. It is tightly 'secured' for you. Tomorrow night is fine. :)

Yes, re the Clearaudio LPs. I had a chance to get one last year, Friends of Carlotta, and I was mighty amazed at it. Can't fault the thing. In a few years, if they stop pressing it again, it will become another 'hot wax'.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby zetroce » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:09 pm

JackD201 wrote: Well Kudos is now Pharoah and I hear it is much more enjoyable now even with the BOSE karaoke speakers. :lol: :lol: :lol:

At its BEST!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Who cares about the sound!!! :twisted: :D
zetroce
Master
Master

Postby zach » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:27 pm

for me music played with conviction and authority is musical. kahit pangit yung recording, the musicality should cut through. for me there is a difference with something that sounds good and something that sounds musical.
zach
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:05 pm

zach, jackd, and others...

any chance you guys can conduct a musical recording/mastering 101 lecture, tour or demo for those interested? sama ako dyan.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:15 pm

speaking about something musical...

been playing mishka adams' "war of the skies" in repeat mode though the Tono 807 at full blast (all 8wpc), and this song just gives me a feeling of flight (flying) over green fields just after a light rain...sun is just up...one can smell the grass and flowers...wind just blowing lightly and you soar higher over the clouds...

...okay guys, am not smoking or anything...just had a cup of camomile tea. that's all!

enjoy your music!
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby red76 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:17 pm

conspicuous wrote:just a note for informational purposes (i.e., useless trivia :lol: ):

frank zappa to me always had well recorded/produced albums. it just came to my attention that on his 1982 "ship arriving too late to save a drowning witch" album (the one with the song "valley girl" with his daughter valley girl rapping through it) there's a small box at the lower right corner of the record sleeve which says:

this album has been engineered to sound correct on JBL 4311 speakers or an equivalent. best results will be achieved if you set your pre-amp tone controls to the flat position with the loudness control in the off position. before adding any treble or bass to the sound of the album, it would be advisable to check it out this way first. - F.Z.

Yup, FZ's "Discreet Records" - exceptional sound quality... I remember the movie High Fildelity where John Cusack has JBL's with those "butt-cheek" tweeters in his room. He also has a Sheik Yerbuti album on the wall there somewhere.
red76
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:21 pm

Hi VD, I'm game. Sometime after New Year I'm sure to be "maluwag". I'll gladly do a quickie presentation mga 1to 2 hour's worth from Mic selection to Mixdown and a short demo on basic home recording. Si Zach na bahala sa mastering, teritoryo niya yun.

Congrats Zach on your upcoming first foreign release as a M.E.! You make us proud! :D

In coming Edit: Didn't want to post back to back.

Oh by the way. Zachster, a perfect example of your thesis is Springsteen's Born in the USA. Recorded almost entirely on an old 4 track. Alanis' Jagged Little pill recorded in a garage on an early Protools TDM rig. These are very rare though. I don't know if it was the performance per se that cuts through lousy sonics. I think it is primarily solid songwriting that cuts through it.

It's hard to listen for flaws when you're singing along. :D
JackD201
Immortal

Postby zach » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:04 am

vintage_dog wrote:zach, jackd, and others...

any chance you guys can conduct a musical recording/mastering 101 lecture, tour or demo for those interested? sama ako dyan.

surely!!!
zach
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby zach » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:09 am

JackD201 wrote:Hi VD, I'm game. Sometime after New Year I'm sure to be "maluwag". I'll gladly do a quickie presentation mga 1to 2 hour's worth from Mic selection to Mixdown and a short demo on basic home recording. Si Zach na bahala sa mastering, teritoryo niya yun.

Congrats Zach on your upcoming first foreign release as a M.E.! You make us proud! :D

In coming Edit: Didn't want to post back to back.

Oh by the way. Zachster, a perfect example of your thesis is Springsteen's Born in the USA. Recorded almost entirely on an old 4 track. Alanis' Jagged Little pill recorded in a garage on an early Protools TDM rig. These are very rare though. I don't know if it was the performance per se that cuts through lousy sonics. I think it is primarily solid songwriting that cuts through it.

It's hard to listen for flaws when you're singing along. :D

ey bud. yeah pag ok yung kanta forgivable na yung sonics kung masama. another is the indigo girls. the album that has power of two, galileo, and ghost. ang nipis ng recording pero ang galeng ng songs
zach
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby conspicuous » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:40 pm

vintage_dog wrote:zach, jackd, and others...

conspicuous
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby conspicuous » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:43 pm

red76 wrote:Yup, FZ's "Discreet Records" - exceptional sound quality... I remember the movie High Fildelity where John Cusack has JBL's with those "butt-cheek" tweeters in his room. He also has a Sheik Yerbuti album on the wall there somewhere.

hey red, you have a good eye and not just a good ear to spot the sheik yerbuti album. :D

i saw frank zappa in concert quite a while ago and he puts in a lot of effort also during concerts - performance wise and sound wise. quite a character. quite the genius. :)
conspicuous
Fanatic
Fanatic

sama

Postby XLR_silver » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:23 pm

JackD201 wrote:Hi VD, I'm game. Sometime after New Year I'm sure to be "maluwag". I'll gladly do a quickie presentation mga 1to 2 hour's worth from Mic selection to Mixdown and a short demo on basic home recording. Si Zach na bahala sa mastering, teritoryo niya yun.

great idea :idea: sama ako dyan :)
XLR_silver
Citizen
Citizen

Postby zenaudio » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:00 am

When you can feel the fury of Billie Holiday in "Strange Fruit"
And her pain in "Don't Explain"
When you hear the black man's lament when Satch sings the blues
Yet join him victorious as he celebrates life with his trumpet
When you swagger and shout "Yeah!" with Usher
And play the air guitar with Santana
When Andrea Bocelli moves you to tears even if he's singing in Italian
Or a Beethoven violin concerto makes you sad
When you get the groove of the split-second improvisation
Of Miles and Monk
When the tongue-in-cheek behind the melodies of Steely Dan
Or the twisted psyche of Dave's True Story make you smile
When you feel proud of the world-class talent of Mishka Adams and her band
And reminded of a similar talent 30 years ago in Bong Penera
When you would like to go out and hear MYMP and Kitchie Nadal in person
When you imagine yourself a young man "Falling" in love with Alicia Keys
And realize you are not when Stacey Kent turns you on

Musicality - they are moments of enlightenment on the road to nirvana.
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ichabod » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:40 am

In short: "there is no true musical experience without ecstasy," Glenn Gould.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dogears » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:47 pm

and it can be had even with a pair of crappy headphones :D
my imagination is indeed very useful :lol:
dogears
Master
Master

Postby JackD201 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:13 pm

dogears wrote:my imagination is indeed very useful :lol:

At hindi lang sa audio useful yan!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: